BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. I just picked up a 2007 M6. I took it to the dealer for a pre-purchase inspection before I decided to buy it. All seemed ok until the next day. I drove it home no issues, parked it and went to bed. The next morning I started it up and the fault screen LIT up. Engine malfunction, reduced power, increased emissions, DSC, DBC. I thought WTF! Car obviously went into limp mode and that was that. I had it towed back to the dealership and told them what was going on and that I was extremely unhappy since I only had the car for 1 day. After scanning the new codes that popped up they told me my throttle actuators were dead in both Bank 1 and Bank 2, and that my secondary air pump was also not responding. I bought 2 new throttle actuators and a new secondary air pump and had them installed yesterday. Started up the car and drove it around for 20 minutes or so and had no issues. Faults were gone, all seemed to be ok. Then all of a sudden the engine malfunction fault and increased emission fault came back! Whats going on!? I NEED some help here!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to hear about the rough start to your ownership, hopefully this gets cleared up without much further wallet pain.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Lesson #1. Don't take the car to the dealership. Strange as it sounds, they don't know how to diagnose these cars properly, and will just throw parts at it according to the computer.
You probably didn't need throttle body actuators tbh, but its not a bad thing you got those done - they would have failed eventually.
Your issue seems more like a battery or a voltage regulator issue rather than all of the above.
Lesson #2: Get a laptop with INPA, ISTA P, or something similar that can read E60/3 codes and do basic diagnostics. This forum can help you figure out pretty much any problem, as long as we have the fault codes.
Good luck.

PS: Did you buy the car from that dealer?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lesson #1. Don't take the car to the dealership. Strange as it sounds, they don't know how to diagnose these cars properly, and will just throw parts at it according to the computer.
You probably didn't need throttle body actuators tbh, but its not a bad thing you got those done - they would have failed eventually.
Your issue seems more like a battery or a voltage regulator issue rather than all of the above.
Lesson #2: Get a laptop with INPA, ISTA P, or something similar that can read E60/3 codes and do basic diagnostics. This forum can help you figure out pretty much any problem, as long as we have the fault codes.
Good luck.

PS: Did you buy the car from that dealer?
No . I bought the car private sale. Im brand new to the whole BMW world. I don't really know much about how to read codes or faults so I thought i would make an account on here before I take it anywhere else to diagnose again.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You are in the right place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So in reviewing the paperwork from the dealership today I realized that they didn't actually list what codes popped up during the diagnosis. I'll attatch their comments for how said they figured it out. I just emailed them back requesting another report with the actual codes that came up during diagnosis since they faults have come back after installing everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Go to Wal Mart, get yourself a $40 OBDII scanner, and hook it up to a port under the dash - read the codes, post here.

·
1,525 Posts
Not sure how helpful a generic scanner can be. If you want to give it a try go to autozone etc and have codes read for free.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Not sure how helpful a generic scanner can be. If you want to give it a try go to autozone etc and have codes read for free.
He can't drive it as far as I can't tell? That's why I suggested getting cheap one at WM. I pulled many transmission codes using Autel generic OBD codes, then translated them into BMW codes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't posted back in a while. I'll let you know where i'm at so far (please don't rag on me yet lol). Like I said in the first post, I replaced both throttle body actuators and the secondary air pump and the faults came back again by the time I got home. Once I got it back to my mechanic he scanned the codes again and now it said the faults were being caused by a misfire in cylinder 9 and 10. I had him replace all of the spark plugs and just the two coils in 9 and 10. He test drove it, said all the faults were gone again so I went back to pick it up. This time I started the car and just let it idle for 10 to 15 min before I decided to drive it home. Sure enough after 10 min all the faults came back again. He scanned the codes again, with the same errors for a misfire in cylinder 9 and 10 and now also number 5. I'm absolutely loosing my mind as to what is going on. I have downloaded the Protool diagnosis and coding app and am waiting for the OBD connector to come in the mail from Bimmergeeks. After looking at a bunch of other threads on here I have seen a bunch of guys who appear to have the EXACT same issue as what is currently going on and they said that it has been the Ionic control unit. It seems if your running old or defective plugs they can put high loads on the ionic control units and burn out the circuits. Wondering if this could be my culprit. Anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Based on what has been done to this point and the fact that the same errors are coming back I would definitely look at the ionic control units. Do you know how long the previous set of plugs were in? Pushing those things anywhere close to the BMW recommended interval seems to start burning up the upstream parts (coils, ionic, etc). There is one unit per bank, since both of your errors are coming from the same bank you can just switch the units and see if the error follows it to the other side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update. I swapped the Ionic Control Units and sure enough the misfires in cylinders 9 and 10 jumped over to 4 and 5. Looks like i may have found the culprit. I have a new ionic control unit on order should be here by Tuesday. I'll let you know what the outcome is if it solved all my nightmares.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Guys. I changed out both Ionic Control Units and all of my faults are gone now. It seems that was the culprit. The car is back in the garage for storage for winter now and hopefully all will be well when I start it up in the summer and take it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's great, onset of winter is always a bummer with these cars, but this way you know it's ready to go come spring

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Guys. I just picked up a 2007 M6. I took it to the dealer for a pre-purchase inspection before I decided to buy it. All seemed ok until the next day. I drove it home no issues, parked it and went to bed. The next morning I started it up and the fault screen LIT up. Engine malfunction, reduced power, increased emissions, DSC, DBC. I thought WTF! Car obviously went into limp mode and that was that. I had it towed back to the dealership and told them what was going on and that I was extremely unhappy since I only had the car for 1 day. After scanning the new codes that popped up they told me my throttle actuators were dead in both Bank 1 and Bank 2, and that my secondary air pump was also not responding. I bought 2 new throttle actuators and a new secondary air pump and had them installed yesterday. Started up the car and drove it around for 20 minutes or so and had no issues. Faults were gone, all seemed to be ok. Then all of a sudden the engine malfunction fault and increased emission fault came back! Whats going on!? I NEED some help here!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have similar issues with my newly acquired m6. I was told by a bmw mechanic that these cars are high maintenance and always electrical. I guess I sink more money into it and who knows. I have an x5 and 335 and they are always good to go. This car scares me. Never know what’s going to pop up on the screen. Lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts