BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If I were looking for an M5, this is the one I would buy.

I spent months in 2016 looking for the right manual transmission M5, and found this example, with 59,500 miles. I have since put 7,000 miles and the odometer sits at 66,444. This car has NEVER SEEN SALT, and always garage kept. Since owning it, I have changed the oil 3 times, and performed a large list of maintenance items that I've detailed below. The car sits in excellent shape- drives wonderfully, and is an absolute PLEASURE to listen to.

Why am I selling? I realize that I'm not going to get as much use out of the car as I'd like. I have 2 young children, and though have used it for bringing them to Daycare and back, it isn't as easy to use as a Van. Lame.

I'm getting interested in learning to track cars, and don't feel the M5 is an appropriate platform for me to learn on- the expense and maintenance would be a bit much for me, and is probably too much car for me to learn on. A Toyota 86 or similar is something I'm considering, until I can handle a bit more.

That being said- here are the details:

-VIN: WBSNB93597CX07725

-Black Sapphire Metallic with Black Extended Merino Leather interior, Aluminum Trim: an interior that is still relevant to today's standards

-Exterior: CQuartz treated in 2017. Very good shape. one small chip in the driver side door and some slight haze on the roof of the car. Headlights are crystal clear.

-Interior: Excellent shape. Leather is soft and supple, alacantra headliner and pillars perfect. There is a dent in the driver side thigh bolster, but leather is in great shape without abrasive wear.

Major Maintenance That you care about (All genuine BMW unless specified):

-Rod Bearings (BE bearings, high pressure vanos line, chain tensioner kit): 58,575
-Throttle Actuators (both): 60,650
-Spark Plugs: 60,500
-Thermostat: 60,500 (have you done this? ugh)
-Brakes, Rear: 58,575
-Tires, Front: 52,250 (50% left)
-Tires, Rear: 59,350 (>50% left)
-All fluids Changed (Transmission, coolant, power steering, differential, oil): 62,750
-Fuel Filter: 62,750 (really, this has to sit in the gas tank?)
-Alternator: BMW OE 43,933
-Thrust Arm bushings (aligned): 55,359
-Oil Sensor Replaced: 59,263

Some of the other recent maintenance items in the last few thousand miles:
-Emblems, badges, wheel centercaps have all been replaced to keep the car looking fresh.
-Oil change, AC evacuate/recharge, lamps, wipers, hood shocks, oil pan pump seals, power steering pressure line, oil cap also replaced/fixed.

Modifications that you care about:

-H&R springs / 12mm spacers, extended bolts: aggressive stance
-UCC short shifter kit, comp ZHP lit shift knob: crisp, short throws
-Alcantara steering wheel from Germany: pleasure to grip
-RPI GTS exhaust, block off plates and ram air scoops: DRONE-FREE SOUND and boosted power
-Eurocharged pulley, tune, and hand held unit: MORE POWER
-Blacked out kidneys and side gills: night rider

I have all stock parts other than the exhaust

Can this car really be perfect?

-Well, no: the front brakes are not worn out yet, but will need to be replaced in the next few thousand miles. I mentioned the chip in the driver door (I can put a little touch up paint on it). And- the car doesn't get driven enough now.
-I also know this is more expensive than some M5's on the board (but also not outrageous as I've seen some). But this car has had the most expensive maintenance items addressed and has been pampered with other maintenance. It has NO sign of issue with the solenoids (VANOS kicks in at 4600 and 6600 RPM (ish); there is no idle fluctuation on a warm start). I know this is a well maintained beast.
-ready for a great home

Price: 28,000

Will attempt to post pictures in the next message. Please feel free to reach out!

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great ad and great car. How does the RPI exhaust sound? Which sections are replaced?
Great question. The following sound clips helped me decide on a car with the RPI GTS exhaust (compares stock to GTS:
Some common compliments I get on this car are: "Your car sounds amazing", "your car screams!"

All sections (1-3) from the headers back are replaced. The GTS RPI exhaust differs from the RPI GT exhaust by having resonators where the rear cats were (the GT exhaust has straight pipes). This eliminate the rasp that was present in the earlier RPI GT system.

Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks E Dub!

I'm currently in the middle of power bleeding the brake system with ATE TYP200 fluid. I noticed some gunky old brake fluid in my Motive power bleeder so spent a couple hours refurbishing the power bleeder (new worm gear clamps, flush with denatured alcohol) instead of bleeding the brakes yesterday! 2 hour projects always turn into 6 hour projects for me.. Ha!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brakes were fully bled- it feels good to watch the color transition! Engine bay was touched up while cabin filters were out. The car is ready to please a new owner...

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi-

Yes, this car was purchased from a forum member out of Ft. Lauderdale.

I'd agree that similarly spec'd/maintained vehicles have been selling for more on Auction sites, recently. My hope was an enthusiast from this board would be the beneficiary of my efforts, as I was the beneficiary of past forum members efforts.

The car is still for sale. Feel free to PM to discuss.

Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok everyone- need some feedback!

I've decided to change the brakes. I've ordered the following parts to enhance the car from it's stock status:
  • Zimmerman Formula Z front rotors
  • Hawk HPS front AND rear pads
  • New rotor retaining bolts, brake pad wear sensors, rear anti-rattle clips
If you recall, the rear brakes were just changed a few thousand miles back. This is an upgrade to the rear brakes so that all 4 corners share the same brake response and lower dusting output.

My ask of the forum: Does anyone have feedback on a caliper paint they think looks really great with a Sapphire Black M5? I'm open to suggestions- and want to create a look that people appreciate!

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for your thoughts- that brightened my day :) The majority of users disagree... I wonder why your experience was so different?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts