BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 M5,

Car now has 125k miles on it. I've owned it since new, I'm getting a P0420 and P0430 codes. Both codes came at the same time after thowing a check engine light. I find it hard to believe that both cats can fail at the same time. I am also getting codes 277B, 2789 and 278A. Car runs great, no signs of running rich or burning oil. Before I replace the O2 sensors, has anyone had this issue without being bad cats? Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You wouldn't have happened to have recently had a fuel overfill or mistakenly started the engine without the fuel cap on would you?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I forgot to ask... how long has your beast had the issue and what have you already tried?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had a message saying tighten your fuel cap for years now. This message only happens when I fill the tank, but goes away after the tank is 3/4 full or less. I replaced the charcoal canistor solenoid and two fuel caps, but nothing removes the cap cap warning. As stupid as it sounds, my cap does not click when tightened, and it is a cap from BMW dealership. I just found the wires leading to the bank 1 post oxygen sensor grounded out from the heat shield vibrating a hole in the wire. I am currently trying to locate a fuse for the oxygen sensors thinking maybe it blew to shorting out on the aluminum shield.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
OP - did you get the gas cap or increased emissions issue sorted?
I chased similar sounding symptoms a few years back. I am guessing at a faulty fuel tank vent valve or a vacuum leak under the intake.
Once you rule out the wiring, consider having the beast smoke tested with the plenum off to make sure you don't have a leak around the manifold.
Then you might consider replacing both fuel tank evaporator valves (yes there are two of them) and then the thermostat.
For a 2007 with 125K miles, these are all wear items anyway.

·
Registered
48 Posts
2007 M5,

Car now has 125k miles on it. I've owned it since new, I'm getting a P0420 and P0430 codes. Both codes came at the same time after thowing a check engine light. I find it hard to believe that both cats can fail at the same time. I am also getting codes 277B, 2789 and 278A. Car runs great, no signs of running rich or burning oil. Before I replace the O2 sensors, has anyone had this issue without being bad cats? Any info would be appreciated.
hahah whats funny is i also got these codes and also have an Interlagos blue color :ROFLMAO: but i couldn't figure out the codes .. i just clear them and keep driving... i did take it in to the dealership a while back and was told that either my cats were gutted or done and they wanted around 10k to replace them. i did want to do an 02 swap but didn't want to waste my money on that like u and not solve the problem. but keep us interlagos blue guys updated lol.

·
Registered
263 Posts
This is crazy, going through this as well. Interlagos Blue 06 M6. The vehicle is currently at Manhattan BMW as we speak. Codes 0027B0, 0027AA, 00277B,00279D & 0027B. M6 goes into limp mode.

I have had this killer going on 8 years now and purchased it with 50k on it currently at 102k.

Just recently replaced, the spark plugs, coils, thermostat, oxygen sensors (4).

Parts replaced, fewer codes now but still goes into limp mode.

Parts ordered now based off the post from Skills, fuel tank vent valve and will have them check for leaks from the intake.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Just in case my suggestionn do not work I have a disclaimer - My beast in not Interlagos Blue. It was wrapped matte black when I had the codes. It is now satin-matte black.

Here are posts related to my errors...

Peak Codes 23c and 2659 - increased emissions

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just in case my suggestionn do not work I have a disclaimer - My beast in not Interlagos Blue. It was wrapped matte black when I had the codes. It is now satin-matte black.

Here are my original posts related to my errors...

Peak Codes 23c and 2659 - increased emissions
LOL, yes disclaimer noted.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is crazy, going through this as well. Interlagos Blue 06 M6. The vehicle is currently at Manhattan BMW as we speak. Codes 0027B0, 0027AA, 00277B,00279D & 0027B. M6 goes into limp mode.

I have had this killer going on 8 years now and purchased it with 50k on it currently at 102k.

Just recently replaced, the spark plugs, coils, thermostat, oxygen sensors (4).

Parts replaced, fewer codes now but still goes into limp mode.

Parts ordered now based off the post from Skills, fuel tank vent valve and will have them check for leaks from the intake.
just out of curiosity have you done your throttle actuator’s yet?

·
Registered
263 Posts
just out of curiosity have you done your throttle actuator’s yet?
Yes, I have three 3 years ago. The dealership wanted to $3000.

I ended up contacting Jason in the UK. He rebuilt them for me and have me a lifetime warranty.

No problem since install yet. Three years strong .

·
Registered
263 Posts
The beast is finally back. Healthier than ever, the part that triggered all the other fault codes was BMW VAPOR CANISTER PURGE SOLENOID. Part number 13907835364 bank 2. Decided to do them both since they were already there. Hose Elbows were replaced as well. Part number 13907835912/3.

I hope this helps anyone else in the future.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Awesome. Good to know. I have an 07 too with 131k+ miles FULL bolt on(long tubes etc) Runs strong. Highway roll race beast. Pulls hard up top

1 - 19 of 19 Posts