BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

201 - 206 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I will order 4 new diodes and have them installed again and triple-check that it is correctly wired in.

But i noticed Mimi74 changed 2 or 3 wires location in the LMA(ligh module). Is that something that needs to be done? I haven't done anything other than coding and making the wiring :/
If memory serves me, there are 3 wires on the old directional but 2 are the same connection for the 2 directional signal bulbs. The other is for the small amber parking light.

When you go to the LED version you only need one directional and the one parking light. The second directional wire does not need to get connected.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Anyone willing to make the adaptor for these? I'm after 2 potentially more sets. My friends and I are both looking for a set of adaptors ideally. Based in the UK so please let me know if someone is willing to make them and if so, so how much!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm really struggling to get the cornering lights to work properly :( Because thats possible to get it to work just like LCI right? :confused:

I've done as you sad roseng and double checked the diodes and replaced them with new ones. And i'm certain the are placed the right way around.

But my problem is as follows: When i start the car, after 30 sec the 2 LED-diodes in the corner shuts down, And flashes sometimes later on as shown in the video. But if i just turn on the ignition, they light up as they should(see picture).
Its when i start the engine i get problems.
But the turn signal works fine all the time, I'm just sicking tired of the flashing from the 2 LED lights in the corner top....

Here is a list of what i have done:
- Bought used LCI front turn signal lamps.
- Made a plug and play cable-set after Mimi74 wiring diagram.
- Coded the light module to not check the front turn signal lights. (So I don't get any error messages)
- Not mounted load resistors because it is coded.
- I have even tried coding activated USA cornering lights in the light module(Didn't help at all....)

Is there anyone out there who can give me a pointer of whats wrong?
I appreciate every single help i can get, I'm standing clueless now.

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm really struggling to get the cornering lights to work properly :( Because thats possible to get it to work just like LCI right? :confused:

I've done as you sad roseng and double checked the diodes and replaced them with new ones. And i'm certain the are placed the right way around.

But my problem is as follows: When i start the car, after 30 sec the 2 LED-diodes in the corner shuts down, And flashes sometimes later on as shown in the video. But if i just turn on the ignition, they light up as they should(see picture).
Its when i start the engine i get problems.
But the turn signal works fine all the time, I'm just sicking tired of the flashing from the 2 LED lights in the corner top....

- Coded the light module to not check the front turn signal lights. (So I don't get any error messages)
- I have even tried coding activated USA cornering lights in the light module(Didn't help at all....)

Is there anyone out there who can give me a pointer of whats wrong?
I appreciate every single help i can get, I'm standing clueless now.
Sounds like you are close.

Double check one thing here. The old lights used 3 different wires. 2 for the two turn signal bulbs and one for cornering. You should only use 2 wires for these. One for turn signal, one for corner bulb.

Good but make sure you have both cold and warm errors coded out. They are separate.

correct

This won't help your problem but it will work. I have mine on.

some stuff to look at

What is the part number you used for the diodes?
You are using the same pin 3 ground (Brown for both circuits)
The circuits have an over current protection and that may be what is shutting down the lights.
Disconnect the corner light wire and bulb and see if you have power to that wire when not connected and if it stays on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply @roseng , really appreciate your help. I have been out in the garage and investigated the issue with no luck.
Here is my comments in bold text.

Double check one thing here. The old lights used 3 different wires. 2 for the two turn signal bulbs and one for cornering. You should only use 2 wires for these. One for turn signal, one for corner bulb.
- I think my problem is here. Because i don't have 3 wires. I have 2 wires per contact, and have 2 contact as shown in picture 1. One negative and one with impuls 12v when blinking.

Good but make sure you have both cold and warm errors coded out. They are separate.
Both errors are coded out. The car is not showing any errors

correct

This won't help your problem but it will work. I have mine on.

some stuff to look at

What is the part number you used for the diodes? - I don't have a part number, other than it is 1N4004
You are using the same pin 3 ground (Brown for both circuits) - Yeah, i'm using the negative(Brown cabel) as you can see in picture 1 on contact 1.
The circuits have an over current protection and that may be what is shutting down the lights. - It does? thats new to me, maybe something to investigate further?
Disconnect the corner light wire and bulb and see if you have power to that wire when not connected and if it stays on. - Which exact wire is this? If it is the old turn indicator wire as shown in picture 1, it gets 12v in pulse when indicator is on. And constant negative in the brown wire.
The lights works perfectly until 15 sek after i turn on the car. If i unlug the front indicator and plug it in again with the engine running it works for about 10-20 seconds perfetcly and then shuts down the 2 LEDs ind the side.

I believe the problem is what you are mentioning: ''Over current protection'' that shuts down the lights. But i'm not sure how i can check for that?

But I've checked if i get electricity through the wiring i've made.
And I get this with the engine running
Wire 1:Its negative until i use indicator, then it gets 12v positive with indicator pulse.
Wire 2:Constant 12v positive
Wire 3:Constant 12 negative (Ground)
Wire 4: Constant 12 volt positive

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thanks for the reply @roseng , really appreciate your help. I have been out in the garage and investigated the issue with no luck.
Here is my comments in bold text.

The lights works perfectly until 15 sek after i turn on the car. If i unlug the front indicator and plug it in again with the engine running it works for about 10-20 seconds perfetcly and then shuts down the 2 LEDs ind the side.

I believe the problem is what you are mentioning: ''Over current protection'' that shuts down the lights. But i'm not sure how i can check for that?
View attachment 930099

But I've checked if i get electricity through the wiring i've made.
And I get this with the engine running
Wire 1:Its negative until i use indicator, then it gets 12v positive with indicator pulse.
Wire 2:Constant 12v positive
Wire 3:Constant 12 negative (Ground)
Wire 4: Constant 12 volt positive
I assume you are using the factory light housing. Is that correct?

From what I can see both of those connectors in the picture are for the turn signal and are exactly the same so you only use one of them. The parking lamp will have a different connector.

There is a different connector for the "Parking Lamp" that you need to use. The ground is the same for all 3 connectors.

So the 3 wires are 1 from the turn signal hot, (that should have the diode), one from the Parking Lamp hot, and one ground. That is the 3 wires.

Ground should always be ground. Your blue wire I believe.

The parking light should show voltage between ground and the hot (Voltage) side when you turn on headlamps or parking lamps.

The turn signal should be 12v on and off when the turn signal is on on that side.

Post a picture of your turn signal lamp please.

201 - 206 of 206 Posts
About this Discussion
205 Replies
54 Participants
roseng
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing