BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here you go, for sharing in case some of you wants’ to do this mod too.

First, thanks to Sean / dtm996c5.
I purchased the 2008 LED tail light set from Sean.

<!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
</o:p>

<a href="http://www.vimeo.com/8693795" target="_blank">2006 BMW M6 tail light upgrade to 2008 LED tail lights. on Vimeo

·
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Humm, to my knowledge, the only legal color for turn signals in the US is amber.

So unless someone upgraded theirs to RED, I think OE is supposed to be amber.

I know the LCI E60 M5 had red LED rear turn signals for the US. Aren't the 6's supposed to be red also?

·
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stand corrected!

Here's California law on turn signals:
Turn Signal Lamps

<!-- #EndEditable --><!-- #BeginEditable "section_number" -->24953<!-- #EndEditable -->. <!-- #BeginEditable "section_content" -->(a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.<!-- #EndEditable -->

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Thank You Dan Video is fantastic!! :goldcup:

Reactions: whatheheck

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for the info, and the video was worth a million words!

A question, if you take out the lights, can you now get to the backup lights?

Thanks,
Thomas

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
another good art from Dan :) thanks for the video

·
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info, and the video was worth a million words!

A question, if you take out the lights, can you now get to the backup lights?

Thanks,
Thomas
Hi Thomas, taking out the tail lights doesnt provide access to the back up lights.

You need info on how to get to the back up lights?
It should be in the owners manual, or someone here can chime in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for Vid.

I spoke to local dealer last week about these; they will guarantee fitment without any extra cables (in UK, so, may be different). Quoted £259.99 + VAT (17.5%) each. You're right about ease of fitting, BMW quote 1 hour to fit the back! but 2 1/2 hours for the front indicators (turn signals) alone. They also do not have a direct replacement for the front (I believe that is because they sell the headlights as part of the upgrade). Labour rates are £108.00 per hour + VAT.

I will be doing the rears soon - just got to gt over my tax bill this month.

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Yep - @ nearly 2Grand for front/back has me thinking 07/08.
The LCI with LEDs for the M6 was done in '08. "06 & '07 have incandescent bulbs. :cheers:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for Vid.

I spoke to local dealer last week about these; they will guarantee fitment without any extra cables (in UK, so, may be different). Quoted £259.99 + VAT (17.5%) each. You're right about ease of fitting, BMW quote 1 hour to fit the back! but 2 1/2 hours for the front indicators (turn signals) alone. They also do not have a direct replacement for the front (I believe that is because they sell the headlights as part of the upgrade). Labour rates are £108.00 per hour + VAT.

I will be doing the rears soon - just got to gt over my tax bill this month.
Okay, went to order them on Friday; asked if they were sure they'd work, as I'd heard there were problems with direct replacement. Parts department said yes, they put in my chassis No. & the part numbers came up for the new ones as 'LCI' so I ordered them, with the knowledge that I could return if they don't work. Dealer then rang me later to say they'd check with BMW UK, who said it was an error & they couldn't sell the parts with any guarrantee; so in short, looks like i'll have to buy the adapters if I want to go ahead. (oh, when I went to order price dropped to £219.00 + VAT each)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Okay, went to order them on Friday; asked if they were sure they'd work, as I'd heard there were problems with direct replacement. Parts department said yes, they put in my chassis No. & the part numbers came up for the new ones as 'LCI' so I ordered them, with the knowledge that I could return if they don't work. Dealer then rang me later to say they'd check with BMW UK, who said it was an error & they couldn't sell the parts with any guarrantee; so in short, looks like i'll have to buy the adapters if I want to go ahead. (oh, when I went to order price dropped to £219.00 + VAT each)
Fen7on - i'm from the uk aswell and wanted to know if you ever got your rear lci lights done? did you notice any flickering? cheers

1 - 20 of 154 Posts