BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, its time to change the front rotors and pads, I don't want to get bigger brakes just rotors, any recommendations ?

Best Regards,

·
Registered
279 Posts
Are you sure that you need rotors? Often, you can resurface the rotors and get new pads since the rotors do not wear as quickly as pads. As long as the rotors aren't warped, damaged, etc... you can get a few pad-changes out of them. The same with calipers and lines. Obviously, wear and use vary heavily from driver to driver, but you may want to check before spending money that you do not need to. I understand that rotors are not terribly expensive, but they are heavy and if you are paying for shipping to Qatar, it would definitely be worth inspecting the rotors to confirm their condition before buying replacements.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I asked the dealer and the recommend replacing the rotors and pads. If anyone has replaced just the pads and got the rotors resurfaced, Could you chime in? What pads were used? Difference from stock?

·
Registered
52 Posts
If your rotors are in good shape (no deep grooves) you don't need to resurface them, just install the new pads. Check the thickness of the rotor with a micrometer or a brake rotor vernier caliper ($30 on eBay). The minimum thickness is stamped on the rotor hat.

OEM M6 rotors are the best quality - they are a 2 piece floating design. You are not going to find a better quality aftermarket equivalent rotor unless you go for a BBK upgrade.

StopTech (Centric) makes a good pad for the M6 that has about 1/4 the dust of OEM and very similar stopping power. You can get them here http://www.zeckhausen.com/BMW/E63_M6.htm

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also in the market for new front rotors. My front rotors have been resurfaced two times. I haven't measured the thickness but they are now warped and causing very noticeable wheel shake when braking - probably a result of being too thin from the resurfacing. I haven't found any OEM equivalent that will be better (price wise) than BMW but am still looking. Please post if you find a suitable replacement.

·
8,369 Posts
I agree with Yorgi. If your rotors are in good shape - no deep grooves and above the minimum thickness requirements - you should only need pads.

Then make absolutely sure you follow the proper bedding procedure as shared to us by Mr. Zeckhausen. This is very important.

I have dealt with Mr Dave Zeckhausen a few times in the past - He is one stand up guy.

Instructions for bedding in your brakes

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi guys, its time to change the front rotors and pads, I don't want to get bigger brakes just rotors, any recommendations ?

Best Regards,

Hi,

A couple of questions if I may:

1. What makes you think they need changing? Do they feel different?
2. What's your mileage?

Regs,

///C

·
8,369 Posts
Great question.

Your iDrive maintenance page will tell you when your brakes are due for service.

Did you get a maintenance message?

Hi,

A couple of questions if I may:

1. What makes you think they need changing? Do they feel different?
2. What's your mileage?

Regs,

///C

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 M6 (E63) Brakes

i am looking to buy new front rotors for my m6 any suggestion where to find for good deal, dealer is asking 650 each which i think is crazy. its too much just for rotors.. thanks

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I asked the dealer and the recommend replacing the rotors and pads. If anyone has replaced just the pads and got the rotors resurfaced, Could you chime in? What pads were used? Difference from stock?
I am using Carbotech AX6 pads with OEM rotors. I also have Stop Tech steel braided brake lines and Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid. I track the car regularly and find this set - up much better than the OEM. The pads last longer and don't get spongy on the track. They do squeak when they are cold. But not too much.

When I run through my current set - up I am going to upgrade to AP Racing slotted rotors and brake pads. The OEM calipers are not bad even for regular track use.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have an 06 with 42k miles on original brakes. Starting to get some shakes braking at high speed? Some said the it could be material from the pads bedded on the rotors and I should try the bedding procedure listed above to burn them off. Anyone have experience with that? Also dealer quoted me $4800 to do front and rear rotors and pads, sounds awfully high?

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I have an 06 with 42k miles on original brakes. Starting to get some shakes braking at high speed? Some said the it could be material from the pads bedded on the rotors and I should try the bedding procedure listed above to burn them off. Anyone have experience with that? Also dealer quoted me $4800 to do front and rear rotors and pads, sounds awfully high?
I don't think its the bedding of the pads.

I would guess that your control arm bushings are worn or broken. Or, your rotors are warped.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Yikes, hope it's just the rotors. I'm getting a bit of vibration just driving as well, could that be from the worn bushings also? What would be the cost to replace? Is it normal to need this at 42k miles?

·
Registered
429 Posts
BRAKE DISCS DO NOT WARP.

That may be a bit of an overgeneralization, but it is more true than any talk of warpage.
There is a 'White Paper' on StopTech's site:
Technical White Papers

If you have the symptoms of warpage, you can clean the disc with 600 grit, then do a full bed in.
Same for new pads.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I complained of vibration to the dealer when applying the brakes. They said the rotors were at minimal spec, so they replaced all 4 along with front/ rear pads covered under warranty. I think I had around 45k miles at the time.
When I will have to pay out of pocket next round I will def go aftermarket and do the work myself. There is no way in hell I would pay the dealer $4800 to do brake work....I don't even see how that's possible lol. Changing rotors and pads is one of the easier things to change yourself on these cars.

Tire Rack has everything.....
Rotors:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...autoModel=M6+Coupe&autoYear=2007&autoModClar=

Pads:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...autoModel=M6+Coupe&autoYear=2007&autoModClar=

Total from them for rotors and pads is $1991

OR go with Trinity or one of the other forum vendors.

Reactions: Pistolero
1 - 16 of 16 Posts