BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forums and some threads are pointing to the diff or drive shaft.

Whining noise seems to increase with engine speed and is annoying as heck. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiemSY192_U

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BiemSY192_U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
431 Posts
is the noise present with the trans in neutral and revving the engine or only when in gear?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it in Neutral as well when revving engine.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If its in N and still making noise then I doubt its drive train related. best case scenario its one of the accessories, power steering, alternator, AC. Worst case its, its hard to say but I would stop driving it either way and get it towed to a shop.

you could try getting under the hood and see if you can pin point the location. if you go from underneath you will have a better look at the accessories, that's my best guess

Keep us updated, im really curious what this is

·
Registered
386 Posts
My 2006 does the same thing. Not as loud but almost a supercharger sound. I do not have the Vanos slap sound though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
mine makes the same noise but mid rev range sounds like a supercharger no idea what it is though thought that was just the noise of the engine

·
Registered
386 Posts
Anyone have some ideas? I know it is not the Vanos

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I'd check the tensioner bearings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts