BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had an experience like this?

I took my car into the dealer because I had all the DSC warnings, Run Flat, Start Off Assistance, Damping Control.....
The dealer told me I needed to replace my Thermostat to fix everything. Boom - $1400. When I pick it up, I notice my Damping Control Warning is still on, so I pull right back around to the garage. My service rep explains that it must have just come on...blah blah blah. Leave the car, get a call 2 days later and I'm told it's the steering angle sensor. If I replace that for $800, all will be fixed. I give the green light, they do it, and I get another call 2 days later that the problem still isn't fixed.

Now they claim it's an EDCK Sensor and it will cost me $549 plus labor. My service rep gave me an odd explanation saying, the EDCK Sensor is the "brain box" and works with all the other sensors and computer software. I've never heard of this EDCK sensor......Has anyone here????

Help......I've been without my car for 2 weeks and may end up paying over $3k. I don't want to feel taken advantage of more than necessary!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I see that you are in VA, what dealer are you going to? If you don't want to broadcast the name, PM me, or tell me to PM you.

All those warnings going off, and them telling you it's the thermostat is ridiculous.

Assuming your car is not under warranty anymore, perhaps I can point you in a better direction to get your issues resolved, the first time.

EDC is electronic damping control. It deals with how soft or hard your suspension setting is. Has nothing to do with the "brain box" of the car - other than providing input. The brain box of the car is the ECU, DME or whatever they are calling it these days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At Sterling now......haven't had good experiences at Sterling or Fairfax to be honest. Yes warranty is long gone. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
So Sterling is where they are mis-diagnosing?

I've been a fan of BMW of FFX, but I only deal with a certain SA and their senior most M Technician. Since your car is out of warranty, it will be costly to repair, but it can be mitigated if the problem is diagnosed correctly the first time around.

If you want to go to BMW of FFX, let me know, and I'll tell you whom to see and ask for, and can even send a heads up email.

If your car is drivable, and if you want to steer clear of the dealer, I'd recommend J&F Motors in Arlington VA (you can search on here for positive reviews of people i sent there) or Road Race Technologies (RRT) which is out there by Dulles/Sterling.

see post #14 as an example:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/198570-need-help-car-wont-start-hope-i-am-not-getting-screwed-2.html

As far as what is going on with your car, it could be a number of things from a bad alternator, dying battery, or even a loose battery connection. Has your car had any symptoms prior to this? Or did this happen all at once? If there are no prior symptoms and this is some random freak occurrence, it could probably be just one or two things being faulty.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I had a similar error message (multi-system) similar to yours and the car went into limp mode with red line lowered to 4500 rpm or so. In my case, it was the throttle actuator and the repair cost including labor was probably around $700-800. The dealer could not figure it out first and initially replaced CAS module (control access module). Luckily, my aftermarket warranty paid for that otherwise it would cost me a lot of money to fix something that wasn't broken to begin with. Most dealer have difficulty making the correct diagnosis on the first try when it comes to E60 M5.

So ask the stealer to look into throttle actuator. Hope you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
PM'd

NavM made a good contribution with the throttle sensor.

Should you go to FFX or J&F, tell them what the other dealer has already done and how it didn't work.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My M5 had those same faults and it was the SZL (steering angle sensor). No more problems since I replaced it.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
My M5 had those same faults and it was the SZL (steering angle sensor). No more problems since I replaced it.
he said that was replaced and he is still having issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i am having the exact same issues at the moment.. been driving it for a week like this. oops :( However i am taking it tomorrow to get diag. and see what the comp says. Im guessing its a SZL.. dont plan on going to the dealer and tech quoted me around 800 if thats what it is, so we will see soon! good luck with your fix

·
Registered
37 Posts
the commonest fault is the SZL cluster.. the dealer should be able to diagnose this pretty quicky by checking if there is an

angle reading when you turn the steering wheel....

the fault throws up DSC fault tyre pressure warning... also gives hard steering

their is a cheap repair for this by cleaning the optical lens.. but for the cost of a replacement SZL switch.. i would go down that line

the SZL will need code coding to the car.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Seems like the SZL's are a very common problem. I had mine done. Picked it up and drove a mile and DING. Same error. Took it back and the SA said that all they did was re-program the SZL as it appears the first one glitched.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts