BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
One last thought, if you can pull the plug let's see.

What are the order of events, i'm sorry if you covered them already. I know you said it happens at idle but is hot/cold ect does it happen immediately, Have you done any other work when it started? how did it start, blah blah.

Sorry for all the questions but I like to know the whole picture.

would't happen to have a boroscope do you?
I do Have a Boroscope, either way hot or cold it'll misfire on idle, when its cold bank 1 does sound dry but 15-20 seconds it clears up, thats why i though it could've been the pressure line leaking.. yes I've pulled the plug multiple times but I can do it again (let me know what would you like to see).

I purchased the car with the issues, car only has 75000 miles but who ever owned it previously looks like they didn't take any care of the car.

Car was in limp mode with throttle actuator faults and throttle body hall sensor so I replaced both throttle actuator and the bank 1 throttle hall position sensor after that the car was out of limp mode and there came the other issues misfire cylinder 3...

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I do Have a Boroscope, either way hot or cold it'll misfire on idle, when its cold bank 1 does sound dry but 15-20 seconds it clears up, thats why i though it could've been the pressure line leaking.. yes I've pulled the plug multiple times but I can do it again (let me know what would you like to see).

I purchased the car with the issues, car only has 75000 miles but who ever owned it previously looks like they didn't take any care of the car.

Car was in limp mode with throttle actuator faults and throttle body hall sensor so I replaced both throttle actuator and the bank 1 throttle hall position sensor after that the car was out of limp mode and there came the other issues misfire cylinder 3...
Ok that kind of changes my thoughts a bit since it was never known good to you. IIRC you did a leak down on cyl3 correct?

I'd still start with the adaptions before we get to crazy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok that kind of changes my thoughts a bit since it was never known good to you. IIRC you did a leak down on cyl3 correct?

I'd still start with the adaptions before we get to crazy.
Yes, first with the leak down test gauge then I also did a smoke test on cylinder 3 back 2 back. :(

My first time working on a M, Ive wanted an e60 m5 forever :(
could it be a software issue, maybe when I replaced the TPS????

*Ill post all the adaptation asap, Ill be working on it all day tomorrow, Pray for me :).

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Some more random thoughts, is it cutting the cylinder out or it's just reporting a fault?

here is an order of things I'd do:

Grab then clear the adaptions
Grab then clear the faults, I'd like to know the fault data if oyu have it, inpa creates a file with more info than what's displayed
Check the wiring to the coil, not knowing the history of the car it could be someone pinched it or damaged it
Switch the Cam sensors bank to bank (doubt this will help but it's easy enough to do)
Pull the bank 1 plenum idle it and look and listen
open up the throttle bodies and just give a visual of the intake valves and the throttle bodies
Borscope the cylinder

I'm around for most of the day and can give you a hand if you need.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Some more random thoughts, is it cutting the cylinder out or it's just reporting a fault?

here is an order of things I'd do:

Grab then clear the adaptions
Grab then clear the faults, I'd like to know the fault data if oyu have it, inpa creates a file with more info than what's displayed
Check the wiring to the coil, not knowing the history of the car it could be someone pinched it or damaged it
Switch the Cam sensors bank to bank (doubt this will help but it's easy enough to do)
Pull the bank 1 plenum idle it and look and listen
open up the throttle bodies and just give a visual of the intake valves and the throttle bodies
Borscope the cylinder

I'm around for most of the day and can give you a hand if you need.
It’s cutting the cylinder off, I checked the wiring also connected the coil and a spark plug while out to see the spark..

Still learning inpa, well I have ista-d and ista-p.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Sorry for some reason I never got the email notification you replied..

Go into MSS85 II or whatever, read the faults, F4 then I think it's F2 but it's the one that say lesen, loschen will clear lessen will read.
It'll display the faults, but more importantly it'll write a file
under EC-APPS\INPA\BIN called na_fs.tmp

grab that file and post it if you can, drop box or renamed it to .txt should work

then read the adaptions, I don't have the menu in front of me and won't guess, it'll be something like 'adaptionswerte lesen' if you can't find it I'll try to go through it
after the read in the same directory as above there is file ada_chk.txt , that's the full adaption read. Post that too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sorry for some reason I never got the email notification you replied..

Go into MSS85 II or whatever, read the faults, F4 then I think it's F2 but it's the one that say lesen, loschen will clear lessen will read.
It'll display the faults, but more importantly it'll write a file
under EC-APPS\INPA\BIN called na_fs.tmp

grab that file and post it if you can, drop box or renamed it to .txt should work

then read the adaptions, I don't have the menu in front of the me and won't guess, it'll be

something like 'adaptionswerte lesen' if you can't find it I'll try to go through it
after the read in the same directory as above there is file ada_chk.txt , that's the full adaption read. Post that too.
Here’s what I got..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Humm really quick reading, there is 40 degree air intake difference bank to bank, that's read by the maf.
It also thinks you're running leaner on bank 1, I kind of suspected that one.

So it does indicate an air leak or bad sensor

have you cleared the adaption yet?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Humm really quick reading, there is 40 degree air intake difference bank to bank, that's read by the maf.
It also thinks you're running leaner on bank 1, I kind of suspected that one.

So it does indicate an air leak or bad sensor

have you cleared the adaption yet?
That’s cleared I’m guessing the difference in the temperature I had the air box removed on bank 2. I’m thinking air leak just don’t know where... I did a smoke test again and nothing I even emptied a can of brake cleaner as well, and I swapped mafs sensors.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Yeah I thought more about it, it's worth a shot. Clear adaptions disconnect the MAF, forcing it into alpha-N, remove the vac line and cap it on the idle valve side. start the car and let it idle and see if it's missing. That should eliminate an possibility of an air leak.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yeah I thought more about it, it's worth a shot. Clear adaptions disconnect the MAF, forcing it into alpha-N, remove the vac line and cap it on the idle valve side. start the car and let it idle and see if it's missing. That should eliminate an possibility of an air leak.
Did not go to the shop today, I will try this tomorrow, should I put the plenum back or leave without? If without what do I do with the other lines that are there?

Thank You very much for all your help..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Did not go to the shop today, I will try this tomorrow, should I put the plenum back or leave without? If without what do I do with the other lines that are there?

One more thing that has me baffled on cold start car is noisy on top mostly on bank 1 for about 10-20 seconds then it quiets down...

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
One more thing that has me baffled on cold start car is noisy on top mostly on bank 1 for about 10-20 seconds then it quiets down...
Like a knocking/clicking sound or something else? Can you video/record it?

No worries that's what the community is for, hopefully we'll figure this out. Anyway leave the plenum off, the maf isn't connected anyway so it'll go into alpha n though you want to clear the adaptions I assume it richened itself up if you had a leak. The idle valve has two hoses the big one that goes the plenum and smaller vac that goes to the evap and booster(iirc) pull the smaller one and cap it, finger, stopper, whatever

What we're trying to do is just see if the misfires come back at idle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Like a knocking/clicking sound or something else? Can you video/record it?

No worries that's what the community is for, hopefully we'll figure this out. Anyway leave the plenum off, the maf isn't connected anyway so it'll go into alpha n though you want to clear the adaptions I assume it richened itself up if you had a leak. The idle valve has two hoses the big one that goes the plenum and smaller vac that goes to the evap and booster(iirc) pull the smaller one and cap it, finger, stopper, whatever

What we're trying to do is just see if the misfires come back at idle.
Not a knocking or clicking, sounds like top of the motor is dry no oil then it clears up, light rattling noise just on cold start.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
So if we eliminated spark fuel and mixture and given the noise. Consider pulling the valve cover. The s65 is known for weak broken valve springs in the earlier run. It would match the symptoms.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So if we eliminated spark fuel and mixture and given the noise. Consider pulling the valve cover. The s65 is known for weak broken valve springs in the earlier run. It would match the symptoms.
already done this :(, pulled the cover looked at every spring with the borescope we even cut the fuel and spark and turned the engine a couple times to see if any signs of broken springs, we even placed #3 at TDC and added fuel to see if it would leak from the valves......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
ran out of options and time, dropped it off at an Indy shop :( that also works on BMW and Ive done business with prior. I guess Ill keep you updated if your interested. Thank you very much.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts