·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,269 Posts
Likely battery or alternator/voltage regulator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure how old the battery is. It looks several years old. I wasn't sure about the battery since the car has always started without a problem. Thanks for the advice. I will have it tested this afternoon.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
87 Posts
put a meter on the cigarette lighter or on a dome light or anything easy to access with a multimeter- bet its popping up around 15-18 volts.

Voltage regulator. DIY, search it on these forums. Easy fix. Cheap too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sounds like either your alternator or battery is going out. I had this issue just a couple of month ago. Replaced the alternator and cured the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
http://youtu.be/Zooo5-9JqzU

Changed out the battery, and still doing this. The strange part is that it only does it after my morning commute. If I get in the car for lunch, or when I drive home. The entire electrical system is acting like there is a loose connection or something else effecting power to the cars computer. The a/c will turn non and off. The power steering goes out, and the transmission starts acting up. I have to put transmission in manual mode or else I could stop at a light, and the carat stay in 7th gear.

I have read something about checking the voltage regulator, and alternator. Does that sound right? And does anyone have a link on getting to the alternator, when I pop the hood, I can't even see it.

Thanks again!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
224 Posts
You could just put a volt meter on to the jump terminals, make sure your voltage is 13.6-14.2v

any less/more is bad.

Also it should be steady and not fluctuating much.

I'm not certain how much ripple you could expect, but I'd imagine it should be under .1v (you can measure ripple by setting your DVM to AC mode).
Checking ripple would tell you if one of the coils in the alternator is bad, which means you have to replace the whole thing, not just the regulator.

·
Registered
95 Posts
voltage regulator!!

hello there
i had just the same problem with my M5
the DSC and speedo would flash on and the speedo went just the same as yours, power steering would disappear and steering sensor faults!
i changed the Voltage regulator and all was fixed!!
i was getting 18V when the car was ticking over, if its anything near this then get the regulator changed
if you've got warranty then they weilll probably change the whole alternator, but if your paying for it, ONLY need to change the regulator thats screwed onto the alternator.

let us know how you get on, but I'm 100% its the same fault

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Definitely looks like an alternator issue. You can change just the voltage regulator on the backside of the alternator or just replace the whole unit. I ended up with an Autozone unit for $200 and haven't had any problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts