BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a dilemma! My 2006 M5 just went out of Dealer maintenance contract, hence now I have to spend the money and get the oil changed. The regular dealership I take it to is quoting $240 for an oil change as I have to out in 10W - 60 Synthetic oil.

Another (smaller) BMW Sales and Service shop closer to my house will charge me $60 for the oil change. Since they mentioned that one does not need to put 10W - 60 Synthetic oil that the dealership puts in, as that is only necessary when you want to race your car on a track (which I do not yet intend to do).

Question to the group...Should I go with the smaller service shop and let them put in any 10W - 60 Synthetic oil for $60 or go to the dealership and spend the $240 and have them put in the Castrol TWS SAE 10W - 60?

I know that each quart of Oil from the dealership is about $11 and the car takes 9 quarts of oil (or so) so mathematically I am not sure how the service shop can put in the same quality oil and hence am certain that they are going to put in some oil that is cheaper. Will this oil cause damage to the M5 engine?

Any comments, thoughts, advice?

·
Registered
234 Posts
oh you do need 10w60 man
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
are there multiple types of 10W 60 Oils? the one recommended by BMW OR any cheap 10w 60 that the service shop may be thinking of putting in? or Does it matter?

·
Registered
234 Posts
man...dont be cheap with your beast. seriously
you can afford the car. why cant you afford the maintenance?

use Castrol 10W60.
hope that helps

cheers
Nuttavut
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
are there multiple types of 10W 60 Oils? the one recommended by BMW OR any cheap 10w 60 that the service shop may be thinking of putting in? or Does it matter?

There are NO other 10w-60 oils on the market. Castrol is the only one. Do not put ANY other oil in your car. You will seriously screw it up, and from the sounds of it that shop has no idea what they are talking about. You will have to pay the full price from the dealer, but it is only every 15k miles. I change my honda accord oil every 5k miles with synthetic, so it costs me just about the same just in oil if you compare it to that. Not really that bad when you think about it. You could either pay $240 for an oil change, or let the little shop do it and pay $20 grand for a new motor lol. Good luck.

·
Registered
234 Posts
good and safe call!

·
Registered
353 Posts
very good call. stay away from that oil change place!! id plan on only 10-60 from now on! ie dont debate it next time! those guys are WRONG! yes, i also hate that its so expensive, but its worth it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I got the oil changed at a dealership, they put in the right 10w60, thanks for the encouragement...I was trying to be frugal, do not have a job and every penny counts!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts