BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my 2006 M5 engine went into protected mode and began knocking/idling rough. I took it to my mechanic and he told me that the #5 cylinder was bad and it would cost more to pull the engine and fix it than just buying a used engine and swapping it out. This is my daily driver so I have to get the ball rolling quickly on something. So, what is my best option? I am currently searching this site and reading everything I can. Please do not say contact BMW, because they have failed to come through on known issues/recalls on this car and I have had many and have paid for them all myself. This was the same issue with my e46 M3 prior to this and having owned exclusively BMWs for the past 17 years, unfortunately this will be my last. Anyway, fix it? Engine swap? Sell it for parts? and what would be the expected costs of each? Thanks

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Yesterday my 2006 M5 engine went into protected mode and began knocking/idling rough. I took it to my mechanic and he told me that the #5 cylinder was bad and it would cost more to pull the engine and fix it than just buying a used engine and swapping it out. This is my daily driver so I have to get the ball rolling quickly on something. So, what is my best option? I am currently searching this site and reading everything I can. Please do not say contact BMW, because they have failed to come through on known issues/recalls on this car and I have had many and have paid for them all myself. This was the same issue with my e46 M3 prior to this and having owned exclusively BMWs for the past 17 years, unfortunately this will be my last. Anyway, fix it? Engine swap? Sell it for parts? and what would be the expected costs of each? Thanks
When you mechanic said "#5 cylinder was bad", what did they mean? Is the #5 big end bearing toast, is the injector stuck, are the valves damaged? Was the knocking sound a metallic knock from the bottom of the block or more of a dead/missing cylinder? If the big end is duffed then it may only require the replacement of the bearing shells but this would depend upon the condition of the crank. If the injector is stuck, this could be a ruined block (cylinder was washed and badly scored) or it could be an oil change and replacement of the injector(s). A bore-o-scope is your friend here as is a compression test.

If you do in fact need a new engine hit up Troy Jeup.

Good luck.

T

·
0 Posts
We have sold 121-qty S85 V10 motors in the past two years. If I can be of any help, feel free to call/text my cell @ 616.304.3678

We sell 0-mile S85 replacement motors and warranty for 2-years/30,000-miles

Also, we sell a 6.0L stroker V10 that is the most powerful S85 stroker in the world with a minimum of 600rwhp. Warranty is the same as the stock engines

Best of luck,

Troy Jeup

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
More info. How many miles on the car? How long did you drive it in limp mode/after it started running rough? Did you drive it at all or just shut it off?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
When you mechanic said "#5 cylinder was bad", what did they mean? Is the #5 big end bearing toast, is the injector stuck, are the valves damaged? Was the knocking sound a metallic knock from the bottom of the block or more of a dead/missing cylinder? If the big end is duffed then it may only require the replacement of the bearing shells but this would depend upon the condition of the crank. If the injector is stuck, this could be a ruined block (cylinder was washed and badly scored) or it could be an oil change and replacement of the injector(s). A bore-o-scope is your friend here as is a compression test.

If you do in fact need a new engine hit up Troy Jeup.

Good luck.
Much wisdom here.

What exactly does the mechanic mean?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Much wisdom here.

What exactly does the mechanic mean?
That is really all he told me. I didn't have time to go into great detail and it probably would have been over my head anyway. But what I gathered from it was that pulling the engine and "fixing" it (pulling engine, taking apart, machine shop, parts etc.) would be around 12-15k and he thought he could get a used motor in it for cheaper than that. Sorry, I don't know more. I am just trying to have more information about my options when I talk to him on Monday. I need to come up with a plan because I need a car to drive. If the best option is to sell as is, then I need to start doing that and begin looking for my next (non BMW) car.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
If you're serious about a used engine, don't consider one that hasn't been rebuilt. Waaaay too many variables to reduce reliability that you have no control over from the previous owners. The S85 is too high strung to chop and swap like a Honda.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yea listen to Jcolley and Troy, don't go used or you gonna pay for it twice

And it sounds like you spun a rod bearing, my buddys car is at Troys now for the same issue, I'm just hoping i don't join the club

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was a bearing. It leaves for Troy's tomorrow. He has been very helpful during this process. Nice to have knowledgeable people like him around.

T

·
0 Posts
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1416106109.170398.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1416106135.715061.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1416106164.259030.jpg

Tanner was right... Spun #9

Took out the Vanos pump and solenoids as well. Change ur bearings people! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts