BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Members,

Looking for some "what would you do advice".

If you had an 2006 with a fully rebuilt engine and transmission with about 20k miles on the parts and wanted to recoup some of the costs would you part it out and hope to make back more money than what you would list the car for? How difficult are part outs in general in terms of logistics and feasibility?

Or cut your losses and just sell the car for a reasonable price?

·
Registered
46 Posts
For me (and this may not be the position of others):
I'd probably pay a lot less for the rebuilt engine as there's a specific process used, and no way to confirm nor deny exactly what the rebuild entailed - although 20k miles shows it was able to hold together.

The car put together is probably worth less than the parts involved. Or maybe it's close. The thing you'd be forgetting about is:
  • Lowball offers
  • Shipping costs
  • Just how far to break it down (separate hydro unit from trans or sell as one?)
But the most important thing you'd lose is time:
  • to disassemble the entire car
  • to package each part
  • to post each ad
  • to figure out the best way to ship each part
  • to source and locate packing and shipping supplies
  • to drive to the post office or courier
  • spent talking and negotiating with others
Price the parts too high? You have a paperweight in the driveway that takes up space and expense to keep there... the parts don't sell so get used to looking at it. Price the parts just right (aka LOW) and it'll go but along with any anticipated revenue you had above the sale price of the whole car.

So if you spend 200 hours to make $2,000 more than you could have gotten if you sold the car then you make about $10 an hour, for example. Or you could lose money...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat, I decided not to part out my 06 that was hit in the side and is for sale as-is in the classifieds. It has a Troy-built motor, 51k on motor / 26k on bearings / 111k on chassis. Even if I had a shop with a lift, hoist, etc I'm not sure I would break it all down to do a full part out. I've had a few offers but the last one was about $1000 too low so I had to say no to it for now.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Unless it's your bailiwick you will have a useless hulk sitting on your property for awhile. I'm a gear head and have parted many cars, it's a long painful process. I want to move on and work on my runners.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
It is rare to recoup any maintenance cost on an e60 m5 on resale.

I consider rebuilt motor and transmission as part of the cost of maintenance, essentially the reason why typical guidance is to have at least $ 10,000.00 set aside in the first year after purchasing a value priced m5, just to catch up with deferred maintenance and undiscovered issues.

In your case having a recent engine and trans rebuild, as a buyer I would consider taking $ 8,000.00 out of my first year contingency, and recalculate with a $8,000 above average purchase purchase price.

Unfortunately most buyers feel lucky and take the lowest price m5 and expect to win the Lottery in not having any additional expenses in the first year.

A few informed buyers may be in the market to pay a premium for the work you have documented, but that is a smaller pool thus takes a bit more time to find the "right Buyer"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts