BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mirror rotated past it's stop, folding under way past the stop. Being the supposed genius I thought I was, and trying to save $900 for a new OEM mirror, I pulled the mirror off and apart, thinking I could fix it. When I got the mnirror apart, I noticed that the rotating gear that allows the mirror to fold up had actually blew past the stop and now the rotating plate that stops the gear against the spring loaded pin had sheared off the end that allows to stop. There are no parts you can order for this so I started calling around salvage yards and finally found one that came off a front end crash, mirror was not touched. When I got the mirror, I noticed that the mirror housing was not lined up square to the door mount part. Same thing that happened to my old mirror as it started to go bad. I thought it would still work so I pulled the guts out of the "new" mirror, installed it into my correct color outer shell pieces and put it on the door. Put the door panel back on and now the mirror will not come up far enough to allow me to see. See picture for alignment. Anybody have any suggestions for a fix?
Mirror.jpg

·
Registered
313 Posts
Same thing happened to mines. Currently looking into the cost to have it machined.

Checking the cost of stainless steel for more resistance to corrosion and increased strength to prevent this from happening again for the foreseeable future. If you'd like to we can share cost, it'll be way cheaper than getting a mirror.

Here's the thread where we discuss this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts