BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Flacoramos,
If we are judging with human common sense then we are right.
but i think BMW electronic department is being run by Aliens, they don't use human common sense, they use machine common sense.
This video is to explain that.
2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 gears is not truly ok in Bisseil's picture, you know my box is dropped and I did check the Analogue 3 values for self experience during my 2 weeks troubleshooting, I spend long time with the car trying to understand some of the machine common sense to know something useful and that may fix the malfunction I bought the car with.
In the video I will engage all gears and back to Neutral with Inpa, all gears virtually engaged and got green pass indication and position value without transmission installed on the car. When I did that the transmission was not installed, I would always get red test indication with R or 1st engagement. In my case, I think the SMG electronically ready to engage the R and 1st gears but mechanically it is not happening, and I think the SMG ECU have a logic to compare that and finally give the test result.
Check my Analogue Value 3 picture for my car now with transmission removed.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I’m really confused now. The gearbox is dropped/separated from the box but the wire harness to all the sensors are still hooked up? My understanding of this test command was that it’s activating the correct solenoid to open/close a valve and with sufficient hydraulic pressure the gear position strip Hall effect sensors “sense” the magnetic field change and know that it is “in gear”. This video confuses me because that can’t be happening since you have no hydraulic actuation because I know it’s not silent by any means. What is the status of your vehicle issue??

·
Registered
140 Posts
Gmtegear, No nothing is connected to the SMG ECU harness from under the car,The transmission is completely withe the block and pump removed from the car. I just proved to Flacoramos that the picture for the analogue Value 3 means he has signal or wiring or failing component, having some reading for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 doesn't mean they are connected or have power as R and 1st shows the malfunction clearly, this deviation what makes me send my last post. Waiting for Bissil to perform the test plan I sat for him, then based on the outcomes will continue troubleshooting to know what is the cause.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Right, I’m annoyed that we can’t see any of those values when the tests are underway, I’d like to always have a live pressure readout.

I still don’t get your video as it seems you’re commanding gears and getting feedback but nothing is physically happening. So WTF?

I was asking about YOUR car and SMG issues that you had posted about several days back.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My car is waiting for new pump motor, as the motor died the night before I drop the box. After doing all kind of testing and self learning how the system is working and trials to isolate the cause, I came into a conclusion that the box has to be dropped to investigate it mechanically. My plan was to drop the box and remove the block and move the shaft to check if there is a binding or resistance would prevent R and 1st from engaging. After removing the block I found that the piston for shaft R/1st is rotated and not correctly aligned with the shaft, I also have higher resistance moving the R/1st to the engage position comparing with other gear shaft but it does engage, I couldn't find any confirmation if that higher resistance is normal or not. My brain tells me it may be normal because the design of the R/1st shaft(or shafts) is different than othe gears shaft, I think R/1st are 2 shaft not only one and this may explain the higher resistance ( I hope this is the case ) or I will have a damaged synchro may be. So I am waiting for the motor then rotate the 1/st piston to it's correct position clean and but everything back and test. Hopefully this is will happen in two weeks or so.
This video proved to me that R/1st was not physically engaged when I command them when the box was installed I also got red indication not green when it the gear doesn't engage.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
So are you saying it is OK to use the 2010 transmission wire harness in my 2006 setup?

I did notice ISTA reporting a short on the shifter paddles. I will go to the garage to run ISTA, clear the codes and then capture them (somehow) and upload them for review.

Henry

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes Bissell i didnt see any difference as far the SMG wiring harness is concerned.
Please confirm all SMG plugs are connected, delete and re-run the test. After you post the codes perform the steps I mentioned and report back the result.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
II attached the control unit tree picture. This was after clearing all faults. I expect the PDC faults because I have not put the front bumper back on yet.

I could not find an ISTA log file containing the fault memory. So I took screen shots and attached them.

Henry

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
The error report again confirm wiring/signal issue, if not the case, then component malfunctions or ECU internal damge or software corruption. If you confirmed solid or new battery.
I would stick with the previous post set plan and add the longitudinal sensor wiring check as follow:
1- PLCD connector X6574 pin 3 (5V power), from ECU pin 34. Ground will be pin 1, from ECU pin 4.
2- Gear position sensor connector X016 pin 4 (5V power), from ECU pin 2,
Gera position connector X016 pin 3 (5V power) , from ECU pin 34.
Ground will be pin 8 and pin 12, from ECU pin 4 and pin 31
3- Longitudinal sensor connector X6249 pin 3 (5V power), from ECU pin 13 . Ground will be pin 2, from ECU pin 20.
I would also check continuity on the remaining signal wires to role out any missing signal for all the three steps.
I would first Start to test the PLCD from the SMG ECU for power and ground. if the signal is available try to swap the sensor with the other transmission clutch sensor without even installing it, just see if the values start to fluctuate on ISTA to role out sensor malfunction , if the result is the same then I would expect SMG ECU internal fault, I would reflash it with newer software or replace it with known working ECU.
please report back the outcomes. If you need the pin numbers to carry on the remaining signal continuity testing let me know.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Plattii,

Thank you again for the reply.

I was up late last night fiddling with this car. I eventually decided to pack it up for the night. I disconnected the battery and put it on the charger overnight. Got me tired today.

I am only a hobbyist. This is the first SMG transmission I ever owned. I do not know which connector is which. I do not know PLCD connector from Gear Position Sensor connector, from Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor connector. I agree with your game plan to verify voltage and ground. However I do not work with electricity very often. I am just not sure I can do it until I learn more about the anatomy of the SMG transmission so that I know where the various components and connectors are located. I have been paying attention to it while reading on this forum. But it seems the content is written either by people like me 'fishing' for answers or by very knowledgeable people who use a lot of terms and lingo that is 'above my head' making it difficult to comprehend. I guess I should find some resources to learn more if I intend to diagnose and fix the issue(s). Then there is the bleeding of the SMG if it comes to that. I do not even know know whether to run the engine during that or not. Again more than I bargained for. The donor car was running really well before the owner crashed the rear end of the car. I was not anticipating having to do these things. That combined with my limited knowledge and limited spare time is making this tough.

Last night I checked connections. And it seems the big round transmission connector was not turned tight all the way. I tightened it up. After that I was able to manually change gears in INPA. Before securing that connection, the gears would only change on the dash. But this time I could hear the transmission change gears too. So that was an improvement. Oddly I was getting even more faults after that. At some point I inadvertently did a bleed of the SMG and ended up with 0 bars pressure. It is tough to run that software when it is all in German. The Sensor B error went away. But the Sensor A error remained. I was suspecting the battery was possibly getting low causing some extraneous faults. Also I think some individual adaptions were running successfully. But again it was difficult to tell because logs were in German too.

I do have a the transmission ECU that came with the 2010 donor long block and transmission which I swapped into the 2006 car. But I am under the impression that it would be best not to run it in conjunction with the 2006 ECU.

I will try again tonight. Maybe I will try connect a battery charger to the battery in the trunk and another one to the to the charging port under the hood to make sure she has plenty of battery power.

I will save some logs and take some pictures to upload. Thanks again.

Henry

·
Registered
140 Posts
Great you are making some progress.
Use tisinfo.com search bar, just type for example connector number or component name I am giving you and it will result with different selection about them.
You have a spare transmission just check and locate a connector location visually then move the transmission on the car.
Also you can google that and you will find some component location. I advice you to leave adaptation later, when you have only have 4F66 and 4f67 error then you can start the adaptation process to clear them, but the power issue fault has to be cleared first as some of the adaptation will definitely fails because their corresponded component is not powered or signal is missing. I am here just to write some tips and give you hints and recommend where to start. I did mention to confirm that all plugs are connected because this is the basics.
You just found the cause of one of the missing signals, keep searching for the others. I dont think it is time to swap ECU's, until now seems you have wirring issue.
Let us know how the fault error report looks like now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Do the red bars on the analog screens indicate that the voltage is out of range for the particular measurement?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Check the PLCD connector. PLCD is the position sensor for the clutch slave cylinder, it is installed inside the cylinder. Looks like your longitudinal acceleration started to read.
Still you have some gear position sensor wiring issue.
What is the status on Analogue value 3.
Have you tried to engage the gears that doesn't show error with ISTA/INPA.
The clutch deviation, characteristic curve and slip point will not resolve until you fix the clutch position wiring issue and the sensor start to read.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
I have been reading some values in the SMG ECU using ISTA. I attached those.

Looks like my shift selector is locked.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Just engaged SMG in Reverse. Reverse light on back of car came on. But dash still displays Neutral. Maybe because shifter locked.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Unlocked shifter. Now dash gear follows gear car is in. Can only shift using software, not with shifter itself yet.

·
Registered
140 Posts
From those status picture, your SMG ECU is not connected to the car or partially connected:
1- It is showing your engine is running (989 rpm) if your 40 pin (M4) connector is connected to the SMG ECU and have no PLCD reading your starter will be deactivated and you will not be able to start the engine. If it is started in this configuration then it will be in a limp mode.
2- In other picture for selector-Lever sensors, you dont actually have any status, they are all blank, which means the 52 pin (M3) connector is not plugged to the SMG ECU.
check the picture for connected (M3) 52 pin plug.
You still have clutch and gear position missing signal. The only thing you have different now is the Longitudinal acceleration sensor, it is reading and I think you can do the adaptation for it, it is not full black bar as before. I posted my car's Analogue value 3 to compare with yours, the numbers should be close between both.

Attachments

121 - 140 of 175 Posts