BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

181 - 193 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hey Henry,
Glad to see you back and happy you sorted everything and got the beast kicking.
Awesome wiring repair look.
Share with us any other projects and some pictures or videos of the beast when you can.
Thanks for the sweet wording and bigger thank to the forum and its magnificent contributors.

·
Registered
463 Posts
When you search RealOEM, are you searching using the last 7 digits of your vin? If you do, it will narrow down the search results and display items specific to your car. I just checked mine and the SMG belly pan is 51757897864. As far as left and right pans, I think you may be referring to the two pieces of molded aluminum insulation that fit between the exhaust and the SMG. One on each side. They attach to the SMG belly pan at the bottom. The PNs are 51487896857 and 51487896858. There are two rear belly pans that run the length of the car on opposite sides of the drive shaft. These are on all E60s but are very rarely removed. The left is 51717033757 but yours would be the first M5 i have heard of missing these.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Platii,

I attached a picture of the check control display.

Engine idles at about 800 - 900 RPM. That is higher than any other BMW I have owned. Is that 'normal' for the S85 engine?

The beast is still in the air on jack stands. I am trying to sort out the belly pans I need before I bring it down to the ground and get it far enough away from the garage wall to work on the passenger/right side. I will put stock springs back on the front and repair/replace the passenger/right side folding sport mirror. That mirror rotates too far when unfolding.

Henry

Attachments

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hope you get all sorted and able to drive it.
800-900 rpm is about right, the magic number is 800 rpm, to be honest this car has complicated electrical and charging system, everything is connected electronically, it tends to raise rpm to compensate for charging demands or getting things to operating temperature for example, so if she modulate between 800-900 in separate occasions then I think she is doing what she suppose to do, so I think she is fine unless there is a clear fault or other malfunctions.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Logle,

Yes, I am searching RealOEM.com using my VIN #.

I actually errantly ordered the left and right that you referred to (part # ending in 757) thinking they protect the transmission. Turns out the left and right are between the body and the exhaust and transmission and will not protect the transmission from water, rocks, road debris, etc.

In this case I think pictures are worth a 1000 words. I attached some pictures of the underneath of the car starting from front moving towards rear.

pic # 1: the belly pan which protects the front of the engine.

pic # 2: the belly pan which protects the oil filter housing. Located under front right of front bumper.

pic 3 #: the 1/4" thick aluminum skid plate which protects the middle of the engine.

pic # 4: the whole underside of the transmission is exposed. There are body/clip nuts on the rear of the skid plate and also on the bottom of the molded aluminum heat shields between the exhaust and transmission Logle referred to.

pic # 5: this closer up picture of the transmission shows one of the body /clip nuts on the bottom of the molded aluminum heat shield between the exhaust and transmission. It is in the upper left hand corner of the picture.

There must be a belly pan to protect this area. If so, the guy I bought the car from lost/kept/sold it/them. Can anyone confirm this and provide a part #(s)? I need to purchase one so water, rocks, road debris, etc. do not damage my transmission.

Henry

Attachments

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yeah ECS is expensive, it is 380$ on Bmwdirectparts.
it is always best to search the best price on the net, availability is another issue to look for to control shipping time based on the necessity.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Platii,

I attached a picture of the check control display.

Engine idles at about 800 - 900 RPM. That is higher than any other BMW I have owned. Is that 'normal' for the S85 engine?

The beast is still in the air on jack stands. I am trying to sort out the belly pans I need before I bring it down to the ground and get it far enough away from the garage wall to work on the passenger/right side. I will put stock springs back on the front and repair/replace the passenger/right side folding sport mirror. That mirror rotates too far when unfolding.

Henry
Hey Henry, If don't already have them sourced, I have the stock front springs from my car you can have. They had 80k when i replaced with the Lowteck. PM if you want them. cheers

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Thanks for the help on these items.

www.BMW DirectParts.com does have the same belly pan for my car for $50 less. That is a significant difference. I will order from them.

I do have the stock front springs. But thank you.

Like I said I have never seen the underbelly of this car fully put together before (mine or anyone elses). I may also need some belly pans further toward the rear of the car. Does anyone know if these parts are installed between the exhaust and the bottom of the car whether they are installed between the exahsut and the road to protect from splash/rocks/debris/etc?
1: Guide Bottom Center (BMW part # 51127896847 )
2. Guide (BMW part # 51127898123) Thank you.

Henry

·
2,908 Posts
Google the first part number. Plenty of pics.
Realoem says #2 is only for cars with a tow hitch. Don't think that was a US option.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Flacoramos,

Yes, I have googled the part # 51127896847. But none of the results in my search show where on the car it goes. More importantly trying to determine if this goes between body and drive train/exhaust or if it goes between the drive train/exhaust and the road.

Henry

181 - 193 of 193 Posts