BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
VIN# and Higher Resolution Photos have been added along with other requested info (Please see details), approx mileage is still to come (need to hook the battery back up)

Hello all,

New to the forum but not new to M cars.

I picked up this M5 (Fix me upper) on a trade towards my old E46 M3 and it has sat in my garage ever since (3 years ago). I am looking to sell or trade the car because of a recent move. I no longer have the garage space to properly store it and have honestly lost interest and trying to get it back on the road (mostly due to the costs involved and the fact that I have a E93 M3 to keep me happy).

The previous owner thought the engine had a spun rod bearing but was not 100% sure. I can confirm that the oil does have metal shavings in it and that the pricy S85 v10 engine when started sounds like the dreaded rod failure.

Details

2006 BMW E60 M5 SMG, Silverstone Grey with Black Leather, 114k +/- miles (will add approx mileage shortly)

VIN: WBSNB93506B581825

Driving Condition: Engine will start up but is immediately put into full engine safety lockdown mode (Throttle is disabled). Will need to be towed via flat bed or pulled onto a trailer with a winch. Since the car has been garage kept, the rotors have not seized or locked up from collecting rust so it will move around without too much issue. I had it on a set of wheel dollys when it was in my garage. The codes do not suggest that anything is wrong with the rest of the drivetrain (SMG transmission included)

Title: (NOTE: I have updated & corrected a few minor details, I had mixed up a previous owner's home state and also corrected 2013 to Dec 2012. The corrections are marked with an asterisk) The following info was provided to me by the previous owner and confirmed in a Car Fax report. Car was wrecked in Dec 2012* in the state of New York*. It was then auctioned off and later repaired for resale. It passed inspections and was retitled with a salvage rebuilt title in the state of Georgia* then sold to a new owner in Florida*. Since those repairs, more than 40k+ miles have been put on the car. In 2016 in was sold to a new owner in Ohio. I have the car fax report to share with the buyer if interested.

Asking Price: $4750

Pros: Chassis and paint are in overall good shape for a 15 year old car. The exterior and interior was well maintained by previous owners. I was told that the car was garage kept it's entire life. ECU housing is flawless, no signs of water damage which has been known to be an issue with some E60s. Car is nearly 100% complete, with the exception of one small air duct piece that bridges front bumper vent to the intake ($10.00 part) and a few redundant nuts and bolts, everything is here. Car holds fluids and will start up. OEM Wheels are in good shape but could use a paint job (previous owner painted them) Tires look like they have some life left in them as well. I was provided invoices on previous work down including a new SMG pump. I have the title in hand.

Cons: Engine will need to be rebuilt or replaced (Not a cheap fix) Car does have some scratches and light abrasions (to be expected for a car of this age). The electric fan needs replaced (fins are damaged) Title is rebuilt, from my research the car was in a minor frontend collation in 2012* and shortly there after was repaired. The hood, bumper, and front core support were replaced and the car has been driven 40k plus miles since the incident 8 years ago.

Again I took ownership of the car on a trade and as such my knowledge of what the engine was doing prior to the engine failure and what is wrong with as it sits is limited to speculation from what I was told and what I can see.

I would hate to see this thing get parted out but you honestly might make more money out of it that way if you are trying to flip it for a quick profit. I would imagine that the car would sell for between 12k-14k after the engine is repaired, that is mostly due to it having a rebuilt title and mileage. That all being said, unless you have a line on cheap S85 engine or have the tools and knowledge to rebuild one, it will cost you nearly as much as the car's potential value to have a shop drop a used engine in it.

Please reply back to the thread if you have questions and/or PM me. If you prefer to speak over the phone and/or text, I will gladly share my number with potential buyers that is just as long as you don't come across like a bot or scammer. Car is cross listed on CL (Columbus OH area) and I will likely be posting it to FBM in the coming days. If you mention you saw the car on M5 Boards I will reply quicker.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I know someone who might be interested but more details would help

1 - where is the car located
2 - is the car currently driveable and no SMG issues so, for example it could be driven a bit to get on and off a trailer without issue
3 - title in hand is clean or salvage marked? you refer to a rebuilt title so want to confirm state and status of title in hand. also, was the car already in an accident and was totaled out by insurance before? any records on that from prior owner(s)?
4 - do you have a copy of the carfax when you got it in trade and do you have copies of maintenance records from the prior owner(s)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know someone who might be interested but more details would help

1 - where is the car located
2 - is the car currently driveable and no SMG issues so, for example it could be driven a bit to get on and off a trailer without issue
3 - title in hand is clean or salvage marked? you refer to a rebuilt title so want to confirm state and status of title in hand. also, was the car already in an accident and was totaled out by insurance before? any records on that from prior owner(s)?
4 - do you have a copy of the carfax when you got it in trade and do you have copies of maintenance records from the prior owner(s)
Thank you for pointing out that I was missing some key details (like location!), please see my updated post for details.

I do have some maintenance records that the previous owner had done. I will though need some time to locate and share that data. All the stuff was stashed in a folder neatly but it will need to dug out of storage (did not make its way into the car when I moved out of my house in June) I will update the main post accordingly.

Please let me know if I missed anything or was not clear.

Thanks and Happy 4th!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car is still for sale.

I have updated & corrected a few minor details in the title section of the main post, those corrections are marked with a single asterisk.

PM me if you are interested. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
VIN# and Higher Resolution Photos have been added along with other requested info (Please see details), approx mileage is still to come (need to hook the battery back up)

Hello all,

I picked up this M5 (Fix me upper) on a trade towards my old E46 M3 and it has sat in my garage ever since (3 years ago). I am looking to sell or trade the car because of a recent move. I no longer have the garage space to properly store it and have honestly lost interest and trying to get it back on the road (mostly due to the costs involved and the fact that I have a E93 M3 to keep me happy).

The previous owner thought the engine had a spun rod bearing but was not 100% sure. I can confirm that the oil does have metal shavings in it and that the pricy S85 v10 engine when started sounds like the dreaded rod failure.

Details

2006 BMW E60 M5 SMG, Silverstone Grey with Black Leather, 114k +/- miles (will add approx mileage shortly)

Driving Condition: Engine will start up but is immediately put into full engine safety lockdown mode (Throttle is disabled). Will need to be towed via flat bed or pulled onto a trailer with a winch. Since the car has been garage kept, the rotors have not seized or locked up from collecting rust so it will move around without too much issue. I had it on a set of wheel dollys when it was in my garage. The codes do not suggest that anything is wrong with the rest of the drivetrain (SMG transmission included)

Title: (NOTE: I have updated & corrected a few minor details, I had mixed up a previous owner's home state and also corrected 2013 to Dec 2012. The corrections are marked with an asterisk) The following info was provided to me by the previous owner and confirmed in a Car Fax report. Car was wrecked in Dec 2012* in the state of New York*. It was then auctioned off and later repaired for resale. It passed inspections and was retitled with a salvage rebuilt title in the state of Georgia* then sold to a new owner in Florida*. Since those repairs, more than 40k+ miles have been put on the car. In 2016 in was sold to a new owner in Ohio. I have the car fax report to share with the buyer if interested.

Pros: Chassis and paint are in overall good shape for a 15 year old car. The exterior and interior was well maintained by previous owners. I was told that the car was garage kept it's entire life. ECU housing is flawless, no signs of water damage which has been known to be an issue with some E60s. Car is nearly 100% complete, with the exception of one small air duct piece that bridges front bumper vent to the intake ($10.00 part) and a few redundant nuts and bolts, everything is here. Car holds fluids and will start up. OEM Wheels are in good shape but could use a paint job (previous owner painted them) Tires look like they have some life left in them as well. I was provided invoices on previous work down including a new SMG pump. I have the title in hand.

Cons: Engine will need to be rebuilt or replaced (Not a cheap fix) Car does have some scratches and light abrasions (to be expected for a car of this age). The electric fan needs replaced (fins are damaged) Title is rebuilt, from my research the car was in a minor frontend collation in 2012* and shortly there after was repaired. The hood, bumper, and front core support were replaced and the car has been driven 40k plus miles since the incident 8 years ago.

Again I took ownership of the car on a trade and as such my knowledge of what the engine was doing prior to the engine failure and what is wrong with as it sits is limited to speculation from what I was told and what I can see.

I would hate to see this thing get parted out but you honestly might make more money out of it that way if you are trying to flip it for a quick profit. I would imagine that the car would sell for between 12k-14k after the engine is repaired, that is mostly due to it having a rebuilt title and mileage. That all being said, unless you have a line on cheap S85 engine or have the tools and knowledge to rebuild one, it will cost you nearly as much as the car's potential value to have a shop drop a used engine in it.

Please reply back to the thread if you have questions and/or PM me. If you prefer to speak over the phone and/or text, I will gladly share my number with potential buyers that is just as long as you don't come across like a bot or scammer. Car is cross listed on CL (Columbus OH area) and I will likely be posting it to FBM in the coming days. If you mention you saw the car on M5 Boards I will reply quicker.

Thanks for looking!

View attachment 952246 View attachment 952247 View attachment 952248 View attachment 952249 View attachment 952250 View attachment 952251 View attachment 952252 View attachment 952253 View attachment 952255

View attachment 952135
Is this still available?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hello all,

Details

Thanks for looking!

View attachment 952246 View attachment 952247 View attachment 952248 View attachment 952249 View attachment 952250 View attachment 952251 View attachment 952252 View attachment 952253 View attachment 952255

View attachment 952135
Car is still for sale.

I have updated & corrected a few minor details in the title section of the main post, those corrections are marked with a single asterisk.

I can’t find your add on CL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Car is still for sale.

I can’t PM you. I just joined… can you PM me? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can’t PM you. I just joined… can you PM me? Thanks
Hi there, yes the car is still for sale, the CL post expired yesterday. I just relisted it.

If you search again in the Columbus Ohio area you will find it at the top of the list with my contact info included.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts