BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow morning, the 2005 One Lap of America kicks off with a wet and dry skidpad competition among the 300 or so entrants. Then the cars take off for timed events at Indianapolis, Beaver Run, Lancaster Motorsports Park, NHIS, Summit Point, Mason Dixon Dragway, VIR, Roebling Road and Nelson Ledges, ending back at Tire Rack a week later.

Maria and I are flying out bright and early to meet up with Luke at Tire Rack and watch the event. We just happened to be in the area for an afternoon wedding and had the morning free. It doesn't get any luckier than that! :)

Anyone else from the board plan to be there? Details: http://www.tirerack.com/features/motorsports/one_lap.jsp

I'll bring my camera and post lots of photos when I return.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
You ARE a lucky dog, Dave. Say howdy to Luke for us. He's a good find! :byebye:

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ELEVENS said:
You ARE a lucky dog, Dave. Say howdy to Luke for us. He's a good find! :byebye:
We'll finally get to see what he looks like! Any guesses? Short, tall, thin, chubby?
hiha

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Watch out for a Mitsu Evo 8 sponsored by AMS. It is VERY fast with 600hp available. You can't miss the decal. The driver is Jon Krolewicz. he also runs Seat Time at Roebling Road. I also met the builders of the car. I did a track day with them testing the car at little Talladega. The EVO 8 (and Jon) embarrased my nearly stock M5.

Also see the thread http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50792 for more pictures and info of that day.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
We'll finally get to see what he looks like! Any guesses? Short, tall, thin, chubby?
hiha
That's easy - he's the Michelin Man!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Richard in NC said:
Watch out for a Mitsu Evo 8 sponsored by AMS. It is VERY fast with 600hp available. You can't miss the decal. The driver is Jon Krolewicz. he also runs Seat Time at Roebling Road. I also met the builders of the car. I did a track day with them testing the car at little Talladega. The EVO 8 (and Jon) embarrased my nearly stock M5.
There were lots of cars with lots of decals, but I did happen to catch the AMS Evo 8.

AMS Evo 8 lined up to compete in the One Lap of America Wet Skip Pad competition

One of the many reasons this car is so fast!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ELEVENS said:
That's easy - he's the Michelin Man!
I'm afraid you're about as far off as you can get! ;)

Luke Pavlick on the left. Does anyone recognize the person on the right? You should!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
greg said:
that would be Brock Yates, would it not?
Very good!

And check out the cool car he gets to run in the One Lap of America:

It has only 67 miles on it and it already has an engine oil leak!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Dave........just got back from spectating at Summit Point's Shenandoah circuit.......were you there?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Joe Lapicki said:
Dave........just got back from spectating at Summit Point's Shenandoah circuit.......were you there?
I was in South Bend for the weekend. But I've been back here in the shop since Monday. No days off for me! ;)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Luke Pavlick said:
Dave, It was nice meeting you
Likewise! And thanks so much for taking the time to show me and Maria around the facility.

It was fun meeting Pete Veldman and hearing about how he turned a 2-person service shop into a gigantic empire.

Pete Veldman, President of Tire Rack (L)

When Luke and I walked into the large service bay area, Pete was actually there mounting tires himself! He's 79 years old and president of a huge tire empire and he is still rolling up his sleeves and getting dirty every day. An amazing guy.

There's nothing in these next few photos that can do justice to the immense size of Tire Rack's South Bend facility.

Looking down just one row. It's a quarter mile in each direction!

I couldn't get far enough away to take a photo of the entire building.

A test track, complete with sprinkers, is right in front of the building.

Lots of cool cars were lined up to compete in the One Lap wet skidpad test, prior to heading out to Indy.

Despite the magnitude of the operation here in South Bend, the local airport is quite small. If you want to fly into town, you have to cram into a very small plane. The good news is that, if you have trouble deciding between a window or isle seat, you get both on this flight. Better pee before takeoff though! :(

Does anyone else see the irony in the headline? World's largest passenger liner from Airbus!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts