BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it might be interesting to compare how much I `invested` in the beast in 2004 so here it is :crying2:

Tyres £301
Accessories etc. £79
KDS tie rods etc. £573
Tyres, adjust steering box, tracking, roll bar links, micro filter etc. £1,1158
EDC front shocks, bushes oil service etc. £2,012
Inspection I £302
Oil service £127
Oil service / new battery £205
Wiper linkage arm / replacement EDC / top mounts / drop links (replaced under warranty) £127
Insurance £970

Total excluding petrol / oil = £5,854 :crying:

How does that compare with you guys?

Frank

93 3.8

·
Registered
150 Posts
Frank:

I think I have you beat.

*Sub frame axle beam bushings & adjust window for wind noise. 851.39
*Detailing & minor paint work. 859.00
*R&R rear axles. Replace ctr support/bearing, guibo joint, repack cv joint. 741.85
*Oil Service. 115.41
*Replace belts. 199.28
*Electrical repair - seat thigh support. 220.00
*Rebuild suspension. Accumulators, struts, springs, sway bar links, wheel hubs, control & trailing arms. 6296.50
*Four wheel alignment 199.99
*Clean fault codes from computer 50.00
*New trunk emblem 47.24

Grand Total $9,580.66 US

Not a cheap car to own. However, it sounds absolutely wonderful when you get on it. I'm hoping many of these will be one time expenses that will not be repeated while I own the car. Put about 10,000 kilometers on during the year.

Regards, John Z.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Sorry to go slightly off topic, but I think it would be handy if people state the mileage of their cars - just to see if lower mileage examples are cheaper to run - or whether I'm living in cloud cuckoo land!! ouich

Only got mine early Nov, and so far all it's had is inspection 2 for just over £500. Doesn't really need too much doing to it either.

I've stuck a towbar on, but that isn't really a "running cost."

Insurance is around £700 (but I don't think that should be included here).

Car is a 3.8 6 speeder.

Mileage is 55,000, of which I've done around 4,000.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rob Plummer said:
Sorry to go slightly off topic, but I think it would be handy if people state the mileage of their cars - just to see if lower mileage examples are cheaper to run - or whether I'm living in cloud cuckoo land!! ouich

OK Rob,

93 3.8 with Nurburgring suspension - 101k miles - 36k done since purchase in 03/2002, also according to BMW/Bexleys/ML the car is a sound well looked after model - so watch out if you get one that isnt!

Frank

·
Registered
261 Posts
It's interesting to note how much both John and Frank have spent purely on suspension work, and not just the dreaded EDC shockers either. Big heavy performance cars like ours seem to need a lot of attention to the suspension....

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I just bought mine and spent £40 in 2004!

Mine is a 3.6 with 198k miles on it. Needs very little work as its been maintained throughout its life.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just looked at 2004 for the Touring:

Tyres, £300
Inspection 2, £620
Oil service, + 2 front springs, guibo and handbrake rebuild, £950
Parts for wipers, £318
Coils, O2 probe & idle control valve, parts only £640
Inspection 1, + rear subframe mountings, £900
All those other little trips to the dealer's parts dept, £548!!

Total £4276, before tax, insurance, fuel, etc. for 18000 miles. Mileage now 163000.

Sam

·
Registered
150 Posts
Rob:

My car has just less than 50,000 miles as near as I can tell. It was imported to US through the port of Miami and I have no records prior to import. At import the record shows 30,000 miles when it was loaded on a container in Germany. From the condition of the car overall I suspect that the car was driven aggresively, and then spent several years without much use or maintenance. I know that the import process took almost two years. I'd love to know more about the early history. My current use will probably be less than 10,000 miles a year and I certainly hope the cost of ownership is less than 2004.

John Z.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had a year of cheap year, so only had to buy two tyres, engine oil and a filter. Insurance on a classic policy was £370 so spent about £600 over about 5000 miles. This year I need to sort the exhaust (blowing everywhere!), rear tyres and may look at the wiper tensioning mechanism which has broken. Full service also beckons but I'll be doing that myself.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm starting 2005 where I left off in 2004 - just replaced the clutch and diff coupling. Nice to get that old whiplash feeling again though :M5launch: Next up is two new rear tyres, bonnet respray and a remap, oh and a set of Xenon like what Simonal got.

`93 3.8 in Granit Silber

·
Registered
890 Posts
M5e3438 said:
Thought it might be interesting to compare how much I `invested` in the beast in 2004 so here it is :crying2:

EDC front shocks, bushes oil service etc. £2,012

:crying:

How does that compare with you guys?

Frank

93 3.8

WOW! I think you got took here. I paid $1,200.00 US for my rears (not installed of couse I did them myself)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rebel 1

Got hammered thats true - but dont think you can get the fronts installed for less than I paid here especially if BMW had done the job. Actually just checked the bill - the EDC shocks where 2x £493 = £986 plus £180 labour and I got 10% off both due to BMW CC membership.

Frank

·
Registered
890 Posts
M5e3438 said:
Rebel 1

Got hammered thats true - but dont think you can get the fronts installed for less than I paid here especially if BMW had done the job. Actually just checked the bill - the EDC shocks where 2x £493 = £986 plus £180 labour and I got 10% off both due to BMW CC membership.

Frank
Prolly so. That's the price we pay to own these wonderful cars. I'll gladly pay it!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bought mine in Februari for 5000 euro's.
Chain and spanner, filters and fluids 2200 e.
Front bushes and bent rods 200 e.
New battery 100 e.
19'' alpina replica's with tyres 245 front 275 back 1500 e.
Maf, o2 sensor, ecu readout, lambda sensor,
throttle body position sensor etc etc 1100 e.
Some body work, hardydisk, tranny mountings 500 e.

I've bought the car in Februari from a 'known' racing car
driver (yes you may call me stupid!!), replaced the chain
and spanners, drove for 2 months and then all hell broke
lose. To make a long story short. I brought the car to the
garage in september and last friday I got it back.
Finally fixed!
Finally driving the dream machine agian!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts