BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-

Just picked up an 03 M5, and had a question about an oddity with my nav interface. When I use the right knob to "scroll" through the screen options, there is about a 4-5 second delay. It doesn't matter what screen I'm on, using the right bottom knob produces this delay.

However, if I hit any of the buttons, or use the left knob (volume, power, etc.) - it works instantaneously. As you can imagine, entering a destination is quite the pain. So I have two questions:

-Any idea of what's wrong?
-If I do a firmware update on the nav, will it affect the Dinan stage 2 software that the car has?

Thanks!

Lance

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
No on the 2nd question. You can tell if your nav needs OS upgrade by checking the version number in Settings, and visiting Xoutpost.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help - didn't see much on xoutpost, but based on my search, looks like 1/18 was the most recent update?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess what I'm wondering is why the system works fine with everything except the lower right hand knob....is that just a firmware deal?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had a really slow nav system which turned out to be a scratched nav cd. Would also take several seconds when executing destination letters with the right knob. Got a new disk and works like ...new :blink:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Nav disc quality and/or laser condition can cause the Nav system to respond slowly.

I have some "burned" Nav DVD's and one of the "burned" DVD caused the Nav until to display "Waiting" and just basically hang. The OEM disc worked fine. After getting a replacement "burned" disc everything was fine.

If it turns out the laser is a problem, you can search for MKIV Laser Replacement DIY either here or on Google.

I do not think Nav updates will change the performance significantly??

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
First thing to do is check the current Nav software version, top right of the settings menu. As posted above it's in the form X-1/YY where X is the Nav computer type (1 through 4, an '03 should have a MK 4) and YY is the software version number x 10, e.g. 40 would be version 4.0.

If yours is less than 4-1/40 then a software update may help.

There is a very old version of the Nav software that displays a number (T20.10) instead of the ==BMW== splash screen, if you have this then you really should update the software.

Also as stated, if the map disc or laser head are dirty or damaged the whole system will become very slow or just crash.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback guys...so to bring it back to the oddity - it's not just the navigation function that's slow. If I'm changing DSP settings, the main screen, etc....using the right knob is very slow, and using any other knob/button works perfectly. When I'm entering Nav destinations, the city and road selection lists pull up very quickly. But selecting (again, using the right knob) is very slow.

It seems like the isolation is the knob....everything else works great. Would a nav disc laser or disc would contribute to this condition?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
It could.

The Nav computer does all the screen rendering, so if it's busy trying to read the map disc it could impact on the speed at which it updates the screen. There is a very simple test you can do, take out the map disc! You can still use all the other functions without the map disc, so see how the speed of the DSP settings compares with and without the disc in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the insight! I took out the disc, and speeds are good all the way around. I noticed some scratching on the disc...so from what I can gather, the software and laser work fine...the first thing to change is the Navtech disc. I'm about to search, but is there an alternative way to get the disc, or do I need to go to Navtech/BMW?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hi Nav experts, waking this thread up with a couple of questions. Since this function has been made obsolete by smartphones and Google, took me a while to try it out. Works fine.

1. When I check settings, it says SW4-1/71 -- not the format mentioned in this thread.

2. According to a for sale listing from 2009, my car was "upgraded to DVD Nav." What exactly did that improve?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Someone probably replaced the MK II/III for the MK IV, it's much quicker, not just Nav stuff, but general display updates etc..

4-1/71 was from the V27.1 CD and was one of the first versions with Perspective view.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Thanks Richard, sounds good! Everything is very fast on the screen, except for changing radio stations. I think this might have something to do with the iPod integration the former owner did, but I'm very glad for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts