BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't lie, I'm a Honda guy! I sleep, eat and live Honda. I believe Honda is a GREAT company which builds highly efficient, great performing automobiles. Lately the E39 M5 has caught my attention. It seems like you get everything: quality, great looks, HIGH performance, NAVI, 6-Speed manual, all in a nice sized 4-door sedan with LOADS of power. I just test drove an 01 with 20k Miles the other night, and WOW, this car is a beast.

I am in love with my NSX and it has been my dream car since I was only 15 yrs old and I finally got it, but I want something with more power than just a 290HP V6. The M3 is also nice but if I'm getting rid of my NSX, I would like something larger in size with a V8 - the M5. I have heard great things about these cars. I have never owned a German car. My previous car was an IS300, and before that a Prelude... Honda and Lexus were both great as well. There is nothing really to compare between an NSX and M5 since they're totally different animals.

I thought that modifications (Exhaust, intake, sway bars, etc) for the NSX were pricey UNTIL I checked out the prices of M5 performance upgrades, WOW they are expensive! beastpower.com provided a lot of information on different mods. The Kelleners Exhaust sounded the nicest.

It would be great if I can get your unbiased opinion on the M5 alone AND compared to the NSX.

By the way, I also drive a Scion xB as my everyday driver. I am looking to get rid of both of them and get an all around car, the M5.

Here is a link to some of my NSX images:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/show...wheels+boutique

Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a 1993 NSX and I am considering whether to replace my current daily driver, a 2004 TL/6mt with a 2000-2001 E39 M5, or possibly a 2002 E46 M3.

Having driven the M-cars back to back with the NSX, I have the following observations.

M5 vs. NSX-

The M5 has much better low-end torque and a nice authoritative grunt at low RPMs. It is a few ticks faster than my 93 in a straight line, and roughly equal with your 2003. While the two are objectively close or equal in acceleration, the feeling of acceleration from a stop is greater in the M5, as a result of the torque characteristics of the engine, and the power is more usable than the peaky NSX.

That said, the M5 lacks the NSX high-RPM ability and the glorious shriek the NSX emits from 5000-8000 RPM. A downshift and blast to redline in the NSX is an experience the M5 cannot match.

You really feel the M5's 4000 pounds in the corners, and the steering feel, while very good, is nothing compared to the NSX. Even the early NSX is a better track car, which is not surprising given it weighs nearly 1000 pounds less than the M5.

The M5 doesn't make me want to get rid of my NSX, but the TL's days are numbered now that the M5 is in the high 30s to low 40s for a decent, CPO'd example. I just need to convince myself that I won't lament driving the M5 in the winter, as the TL is pure heaven with FWD and Blizzaks. You don't have that problem in California.

I would not recommend getting an M5 that was without warranty. They are well made cars, but have a few problem areas-MAFs, cats, VANOS failures on some early 2000s, etc., that make a warranty a necessity. One major repair will more than pay for a warranty.

BTW-your link doesn't work. I think you pasted the abbreviated version?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Interesting first post. After owning my M5 for 3 years, and a RUF for one year, here's my take on the cars:

M5:
Bottomless torque. Few cars have such incredible power band. Very useful in commute traffic if you've gotton tired of down-shifting.
Overall performance: While not at the very top of the perfromance food-chain, the acceleration and cornering prowess are sufficiently high to satisfy most driving requirements. There are better performing cars, none is the all-around gem Like an M5.
Pampering: besides the obvious four-door, 5 seat-belt, useful trunk attributes, few cars are as pampering as the M5. I have driven 700 miles in the day, and arrive fresh as a daisy. The seat and steering wheel position adjustments are fabolous. It is quiet, and stable at extreme high speeds. A certified long-distance road car. Incredibly, my life-time fuel consumption (65k miles to-date) is 18.5 MPG. Not too shabby for a big V-8.
LOOK: I think the E39 5 series is one of the best looking sedans ever designed. I fell in love with it way before the M5 hit the market in 2000. It's also completely stealth. In your NSX, you will get more looks, thumb-ups, and challenges in a week than the M5 in a month. I love that.

Having said all that, the M5 is NOT a true sports car, as it's design intent is to rule the autobahn. While exhaust and suspension mods will enhance the aural and centrifugal enjoyment, you can't duplicate the 'feel' of the true sports car, like a 911, NSX, Ferraris and Lambos. So you have to decide for your motoring pleasure, what attributes are most important to you. Myself, I don't expect the M5 to do what it can't do. I added a 993 RUF BTR for sports-driving occasions. If you can manage it, ADD the M5 to your NSX, and you'll thirst no more.

Good luck.

CP

·
Registered
80 Posts
I owned a 1991 NSX (bought used), then traded up to a 1995 NSX-T to get the removable top (bought new). In 1998 I traded the NSX for a 540i Sport 6-speed, which was the closest thing I could get to an M5 at the time, since the E39 M5 hadn't come out yet. I then spent 15 months on the waiting list to get my current 2001 M5. So I've got some relevant experience in owning both cars.

My NSX (as with my M5 now) was my daily driver. But it became increasingly frustrating to own for 2 reasons. First, I got tired of having to replace the rear tires every 5K miles (people who've never owned an NSX find this hard to believe, but it's true of all NSXs due to the rear wheel toe-in and soft compound of NSX-compatible tires).

But the real killer for the NSX driving experience was the increasing popularity of SUVs! Sitting so low, you couldn't see anything in traffic anymore. The final straw came when my wife was driving the NSX, and while she was sitting in the car in a parking lot (and laying on the horn), she got backed into by an SUV, smashing in the driver's side door. The woman SUV driver said it was my wife's fault, for driving such a low car that couldn't be seen behind an SUV...

The only thing I still miss from the NSX is the sound from winding the engine out to the 8000 RPM redline. But the M5's torque and kick in the pants more than compensates.

And while the NSX drew stares from everyone, the M5 is much more of a stealth car.

- Dave

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
NSX
You have to decide what type of car you need. Is the Scion the family/errand car? You indicate it is the daily driver. If so, then an NSX is a great second car. So what does the NSX need? About the only thing would be more power (and stock in Tire Rack!). I am sure forced induction is available, and cheaper than an M5.
On the other hand, if you need a car that seats 5, has a trunk, and is almost in world sports car categories with a few mods ( and is a world class sports sedan), than nothing beats the M5.
Maybe the trick here is get rid of the Scion and replace it with the M5!!!
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
626 Posts
i guess it depends on how you drive and what you want from a car? for me i wanted a sports car that i can drive every day. i recently got rid of my porsche turbo 2001 and though i miss the feel and power, i don't miss the akward setting position and the looks i got when driving it.
about your NSX, it is a different kind of car and can't really compare the two. so if you want the best 4 door sedan ever made, buy the ///M5.

emperor
:viking:

·
Registered
691 Posts
NSXnowM5soon said:
I won't lie, I'm a Honda guy!

Lately the E39 M5 has caught my attention. It seems like you get everything . . . WOW, this car is a beast.

I am in love with my NSX and it has been my dream car since I was only 15 yrs old and I finally got it, but I want something with more power than just a 290HP V6.

There is nothing really to compare between an NSX and M5 since they're totally different animals.

It would be great if I can get your unbiased opinion on the M5 alone AND compared to the NSX.
Hi NSX,

Welcome and I think I can help a little here too. I am also a big Honda guy and the car previous to my 2001 M5 was a 1991 NSX (BTW, my handle is the same here as it is on NSXPrime, I still post from time to time). Most recently, I have gone back to my roots and my last purchase was a 2004 MDX . . . ahh back to family . . . Oh, the NSX was my dream car since the early 90's as well, what a joy NSX ownership was. :)

Now, on to the M5, it is a pleasure to drive everyday and the torque is very usable as it is always available at nearly any speed and any gear. In my opinion, it is truly a respectable replacement for a dream car, I have never regreted the decision. However . . . the M5 never lets you forget you are trucking around 4000+ pounds . . . never. The first thing I did after coming off the honeymoon period was upgrading the suspension to Dinan's Stage 3 kit. Friends made fun of me saying, "who upgrades an M5's suspension?" It just felt far too soft for my taste and too much understeer. There are many suspension upgrades other than Dinan's, but I feel that this is a minimum improvement. I also HAD to do the exhaust as the M5 is FAR too quiet in its stock form.

BTW, feel your pain on the A022's, but I have to tell you that my experience with the M5's shoes aren't much better. My last two pairs of rear Pilot Sports lasted 7000 and 10000 miles. Better than the Yokohama's, but on a daily driver car, I replace rubber quite frequently.

I also bought the M5 to be my only car, but I found that I still like having a beater. You may feel differently, but not long after having only one car, I ended up buying "the beater". Yep, an Legend coupe. :) What a shock, I told you that I understand . . . Anyway, the third car is good for leaving at the airport, running to the grocery store or just general abuse that I prefer not to expose the M5 to. I love my M5, but gsfent's comment about keeping both an M5 and the NSX, THAT would be the best. I would do this as well, but I only have a 2 car garage and must have a 4 door for a daily driver; for now I have found my perfect combination for my current situation. If I had a 3+ car garage, my decision might be different . . .

Best of luck, Kevin

·
Registered
691 Posts
NSXnowM5soon said:
This is a VERY hard decision since I love my NSX but having both the NSX and M5 would be more than awesome but is a VERY bad financial decision!
Just saw this post . . . gotta ask though, are ANY of these cars "good financial decisions"???? :) If you asked my wife, I can tell you what she would say . . .

Kevin

·
Registered
116 Posts
khiroshima said:
Just saw this post . . . gotta ask though, are ANY of these cars "good financial decisions"???? :) If you asked my wife, I can tell you what she would say . . .

Kevin
Some are better financial decisions than others, to be sure

A good early NSX coupe can be had for $30k. That car has essentially stopped depreciating. At my current progress (2 years and 19k plus) I will drive my NSX for 5 years and 50k miles and lose approx. $5-7k (unadjusted for inflation) for the mileage when I sell it. It would probably appreciate slightly if I had stored it instead of driving it every chance I get. :flag:

The M5 is still depreciating at this point. It will probably stop depreciating some day, when it hits $25k or so if I had to guess, and begin to appreciate. A used one is pretty good value right now. Being a depreciating asset, a car is not really an ideal long-term investment, but who cares.

Winter is coming to Wisconsin, and my FWD TL on Blizzak LM22s is so much more practical than an M5, and a few hundred bucks less a month. Yet, I can't stop thinking about the M5 and how much fun that car is to drive. I have wanted an M5 since before the M5 existed. At the age of 8 I read of the M635csi and the M535i and wished for an M5 with the good motor. I would love to have that motor on a stand in a loft setting.

Like many of you, I want all generations of M5, but have yet to choose one. I grew up on the E28 and the E34 M5s. I was in my second year of law school when the E39 came out. When it came time to make my first serious car purchase, I got the NSX. The TL came shortly after, and now the M5 approaches the TL monthly payment and I contemplate it as my daily driver with an NSX backup. :7:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Not much said about your personal situation but why not keep the sports car until you NEED the seats for business or kids. Amazing how many of our local E34 guys have babyseats in the back. I would try to keep the NSX if you can. You will likely miss it quite a bit even with an M5.

By the way, my friend here locally (San Mateo) is selling his '01 E39, silver/black, mileage in the mid-30k's, perfect condition.

By the way, BMW only needed 7000 rpm to get 311hp from their 3.6 in 1990. :blink:

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
khiroshima said:
If you asked my wife, I can tell you what she would say . . .

Kevin
Kevin,

Did not know that you're now married. Major congratulations.
She's a lucky lady.

CP

·
Registered
312 Posts
FlyM5 said:
. . . But the real killer for the NSX driving experience was the increasing popularity of SUVs! Sitting so low, you couldn't see anything in traffic anymore. The final straw came when my wife was driving the NSX, and while she was sitting in the car in a parking lot (and laying on the horn), she got backed into by an SUV, smashing in the driver's side door. The woman SUV driver said it was my wife's fault, for driving such a low car that couldn't be seen behind an SUV.... . .
Un-f'ing-believable. I would have had a hard time controlling myself from beating the SUV driver to a bloody pulp. I wonder if she is (or is related to) the IDIOT woman SUV driver I saw this morning. . . PLUCKING HER EYEBROWS while negotiating a heavy traffic intersection. Sigh.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
FlyM5 said:
But the real killer for the NSX driving experience was the increasing popularity of SUVs! Sitting so low, you couldn't see anything in traffic anymore. The final straw came when my wife was driving the NSX, and while she was sitting in the car in a parking lot (and laying on the horn), she got backed into by an SUV, smashing in the driver's side door. The woman SUV driver said it was my wife's fault, for driving such a low car that couldn't be seen behind an SUV...
That reminds me of Tako's Murceilego. Two weeks after taking delivery, a woman in a big truck changed lane into his car. Then claimed that the Murc was too low dor her to see. grrrrrrr grrrrrrr

Costed her insurance a cool $30k though. :D :D

CP

·
Registered
691 Posts
chunpng said:
Kevin,

Did not know that you're now married. Major congratulations.
She's a lucky lady.

CP
Thanks for the well wishes! I appreciate the vote of confidence. :)
Back to my contribution to this tread, I MISS my old NSX, but I have never regretted my purchase of my M5. I guess that says it all, Kevin

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
chunpng said:
That reminds me of Tako's Murceilego. Two weeks after taking delivery, a woman in a big truck changed lane into his car. Then claimed that the Murc was too low dor her to see. grrrrrrr grrrrrrr

Costed her insurance a cool $30k though. :D :D

CP
I may be wrong but I don't think anyone would miss your Ruf. I drove it like 4 miles and everyone gave it a stare. I think it is those all black wheels. Such a sweet car.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
KKelly said:
I may be wrong but I don't think anyone would miss your Ruf. I drove it like 4 miles and everyone gave it a stare. I think it is those all black wheels. Such a sweet car.
Kevin,

The RUF is in DEVEK under-going surgical procedures right now. I have leaky head gaskets and turbo unit. I am replacing the old K27 turbo-charger with a new high-flow unit. If I do max. boost for the new charger, the car will crank 550 HP as opposed to the original 426. When you drove it, it probably was not delivering 426 due to the leaking components. :( :(

I will get the RUF back in a week or two. Can't wait to see how it drives then. If you like, we can meet up and you can drive it again. I'll keep you posted when the RUF comes home.

CP

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
chunpng said:
Kevin,

The RUF is in DEVEK under-going surgical procedures right now. I have leaky head gaskets and turbo unit. I am replacing the old K27 turbo-charger with a new high-flow unit. If I do max. boost for the new charger, the car will crank 550 HP as opposed to the original 426. When you drove it, it probably was not delivering 426 due to the leaking components. :( :(

I will get the RUF back in a week or two. Can't wait to see how it drives then. If you like, we can meet up and you can drive it again. I'll keep you posted when the RUF comes home.

CP
I would LOVE too. Even if the boost was down, it was deceptively fast because the power was so linear and the car was amazingly refined. Hmm, a 100hp difference in a 3k pound car--I think you will feel that in the seat of your pants.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts