BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, yesterday, after taking "The Mistress" out on the country roads with a friend of mine, we decided to go the Mercedes dealership and drive an E55.

Basically, the E55 has lots of luxury items on the inside (electronic controls, etc.) that don't enhance the driving experience. The suspension settings are nice though - the comfort setting gives a really nice ride compared to the M5. If you drop the height of the car to the Sport 1 or Sport 2 setting, you get more of an M5 feel.

The E55 feels like a luxury sedan that they dropped a large motor and supercharger into - giving it the 469 bhp - IT FEELS LIKE JUST THAT - A LUXURY CAR WITH A LARGE MOTOR.

The trigger shifting only lets you go through 4 gears, where as the automatic has 5 speeds - the computer controls everything so you can't get a high rev downshift...boring!!!

Driving an M5 is an experience - the clutch (even though it sucks), the shifting, the feel of the torque and power is much smoother and more integrated into the overall driving experience.

The E55 has more of a power on, power off feel though the supercharger is very well integrated into the power curve - I couldn't tell when it was on or off.

Overall, I will not be trading in "The Mistress" any time soon. My friend and I both agreed that the driving experience was much better in the M5.

Before we went driving, my friend asked me what kind of entertainment package I had in the M5 - I just stared at him and said - The M5 is an entertainment package - he soon learned what I was talking about on our first set of mountain turns.

Have fun out there, break the speed limit whenever you can (safely) and have a Happy Turkey Day!:flag:

SCORPIO

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Excellent writeup, i think many people here feel the same way as you do regarding how the e55 is an average car with a big motor dropped in!

all the best
adam

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I agree, the new MB certainly looks good, has a large motor, many bells and whistles you will probably only use once or twice(even the M5 has some of those), nice ride, big price. The M5 is just a better experience overall even after being around for almost 5 years.

Mark

·
Registered
441 Posts
Stevus said:
I agree, I would buy one for going out to dinner!
for everything else, theres M5 :M5eyes:
2 Very different cars. I went from an E39 540 Sport (and traded in my 02 Z06) for an 05 E55. My 540 handled noticeably better and was more tossable. This made it more of a fun car to drive everyday. The E55 is incredibly fast. 12.07 @ 116.85 bone stock on stock tires. Not even my Z06 could get close to that performance, even after headers, tuning, intake, high flow cats and other mods. I miss my 540, but [email protected] do I love flooring the gas pedal in my E55.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Have any of you ever thought of how an automatic E39 M5 would feel?

·
Registered
54 Posts
zonek said:
Definitely 2 very different cars, but only one is faster: E55.

For me, results count more than feelings of driving a "sporty" car.
In that case, you just happen to have the opposite viewpoint of those of us who choose BMW. Your enthusiam for driving has a very narrow focus. Find a twisty road and you'll discover there are different forms of "faster".

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hmmm..lets see - the guy compares a supercharged Merc with almost 500 hp and a blown RS6 with 500 hp against a 400hp M5 - well no wonder the M5 got pulled. Not exactly apples to apples.

Now - take a Discovery Auto Supercharged M5 and stack it against those 2 and see who wins. Or the new E60 M5....

I happily sacrifice 100hp (for right now at least - mods to come) for the overall experince of driving the M5. Diff strokes for diff folks - for me the E55 does not come off as an integrated package. It feels like a car that has a chassis at the limits / beyond of properly handling that power.....fun for straight line blasts - but not much satisfaction from handling.

Yes - I have driven one.

·
Registered
12,776 Posts
Wrightsville Beast said:
Hmmm..lets see - the guy compares a supercharged Merc with almost 500 hp and a blown RS6 with 500 hp against a 400hp M5 - well no wonder the M5 got pulled. Not exactly apples to apples.

Now - take a Discovery Auto Supercharged M5 and stack it against those 2 and see who wins. Or the new E60 M5....

I happily sacrifice 100hp (for right now at least - mods to come) for the overall experince of driving the M5. Diff strokes for diff folks - for me the E55 does not come off as an integrated package. It feels like a car that has a chassis at the limits / beyond of properly handling that power.....fun for straight line blasts - but not much satisfaction from handling.

Yes - I have driven one.
I don't disagree, but everyone likes something different. Stock to stock, E55 is clearly faster in a straight line, which is where 90% of stoplight racing occurs. I suspect that few drivers will wring out the handling of these cars on the street, not much margin for error. And of course the DA E39 M5 is both faster and a better handler than the E55, but you are adding $$$. But add some $$$$ and send it to Harmut Feyl (better known as Rennsport) and the car will go way faster and handle much, much better. RS6 goes to Jo Hoppen Motorsports for similar treatment. Easy to add horsepower with forced induction.
Having said all that, look what I choose to drive! :M5launch: :M5launch: The driving experience for me is much more than putting foot to the floor (although I would not object to a DA GB on SC!!!) :2:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree. Everyone has different priorities. The E55 is a fantastic car - no doubt. It just doesn't have the same level of chassis refinement that the M5 has - and that is important to me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Think Gustav hit the nail on the head: matching the correct cars up with the correct drivers. We are just lucky to have so many great sedan choices out there today.....E55, RS6, M5, some might argue the new STS or CTSV...... that can be had for well under $100K (seems the current break point for exotics).

Just hope the supply of dino-juice or fuel technology lets us enjoy the joy of the internal combustion engine until we are too old to drive....... :M5thumbs:

Don't think there are many current owners on this board that would give their ride up for a E55 or even a Viper inspite of their advantage in a drag race. I'm sure a large proportion of the people driving them are happy with their choice of rides also. It's kind of like choosing between a Mig-31 (E55) or an F-15 (M5), you are going to find the experience quite satifisfying.

Me, .......I love the well rounded excellence, precise tactile feedback, and the near exotic performance for 5 that the 'classic' E39 M5 has.

Happy Holidays :2:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
For me it is all about the total package, and how well the car handles. I have driven plenty of big boats that didnt handle, and plenty of slot cars that would pull you out of your seat. I like to compromise my daily driver into something that has power, agility, good looks, and is 100% fun to drive. Now I dont have seat time in a W211 E55, but based on comments that have been made here, it just sounds like the car isnt for me. I also think if the car was that good, that this forum would be a little smaller as everyone would have rushed away to get an E55. Different cars for different people, but it sounds like it would be hard to sell the E55's attributes to this crowd.
:cheers:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Comparing the M5 to two Super Charged cars....wow! The writer fo the article seems pretty happy to have beaten the M5. Ever heard of "Pick on somebody your own size?" Try comparing the E66 or RS6 to a SuperCharged M5! Then let's see who gets.... "scalped"!!
Robert
zonek said:
Definitely 2 very different cars, but only one is faster: E55.

For me, results count more than feelings of driving a "sporty" car. It is hard to admit, like this M5 driver who did not want to move from the lane, chased by an RS6 and a E55.

Fo those who did not read this (old) article "A King of the Autobahn got its scalp picked" from Erik, who is not a E55 fan. ;)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Well, look at it this way. The current E55 was built to beat the existing E39 M5. They got it right in the power department. Sadly they came up short on the hadling department. But this comparison is irrelevant since the new E60 M5 is out and so far has beaten both the RS6 and the E55 in the european magazines test. We'll just have o wait a few more months for some real kill stories when there are more E60 M5 out in the road :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts