BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on this and found a lot of informative posts, but none that specifically answered my question.

For 2003 M5 options this is the list that I compiled from various threads here:

PDC
M-audio
*Full leather
*Power rear sunshade
Split folding rear seats with ski bag

* The car can only have one of "full leather" or the "power rear sunshade" but not both

I am looking for a way to identify the only options that were available on the 2003 M5, most of which are obvious (like the full leather, pdc, etc) however I know of no way to identify by visual inspection if the vehicle has the upgraded M-audio. Can anyone help me out here?

I have the very large list of options for the E39 (the 3-digit code list... but most of those are standard or not applicable on the M5). So from the short list above, did I miss any options on the 2003 M5 that were available in North America?

Thanks.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Open the trunk and if you see two 12" subs, it probably has the MAudio option.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Open the trunk and if you see two 12" subs, it probably has the MAudio option.
What would be there otherwise? I thought that the regular M5 audio has a couple of subs in the trunk too... or was I mistaken?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
regular audio was a pair of nokia subs in boxes, not the big buggers hanging down into the trunk

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
regular audio was a pair of nokia subs in boxes, not the big buggers hanging down into the trunk
For clarity, the M audio subs hang under the rear deck or rear parcel shelf.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
What would be there otherwise? I thought that the regular M5 audio has a couple of subs in the trunk too... or was I mistaken?

The DSP (regular) cars in the US have 4 x 5.25" woofers in a sealed enclosure where the 2 10" subs would be on the M audio cars. Also, full leather cars have stitched leather (vs molded vinyl) on the dash.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Sport and Heritage (full leather) I thought. Luxury was extended leather only.
All I know is USA. Looking in the 2003 glossy order guide I have it says "sport" and "luxury".

The further describe Sport as "Standard leather Nappa Point" and Luxury as "All leather Nappa Heritage"

The term "full" was not associated with US models in 2003, at least in the M Ordering Brochure.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Only 2 woofers in a regular DSP (just like M-Audio), but 4 voice coils (just like M-Audio)...

Doesn't matter since you can't see them and 4x5.25 still = useless, but since we all try to be accurate I thought I'd chime in :)

d-

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
All I know is USA. Looking in the 2003 glossy order guide I have it says "sport" and "luxury".

The further describe Sport as "Standard leather Nappa Point" and Luxury as "All leather Nappa Heritage"

The term "full" was not associated with US models in 2003, at least in the M Ordering Brochure.

Yeah, they werent listed in the brochures (not in my 2002 brochure at least).

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The DSP (regular) cars in the US have 4 x 5.25" woofers in a sealed enclosure where the 2 10" subs would be on the M audio cars. Also, full leather cars have stitched leather (vs molded vinyl) on the dash.
Isn't it "fake" but stitched leather on the dash?

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Isn't it "fake" but stitched leather on the dash?
Well, that kinda depends.

In the US anyway (this issue is too complicated for me to try to write it all down) 2002+ vehicles with Luxury have _real_ leather, Sport have vinyl.

I did a whole post on exactly what a 2002 Luxury car contains some time ago - search should bring it up...

d-

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Well, that kinda depends.

In the US anyway (this issue is too complicated for me to try to write it all down) 2002+ vehicles with Luxury have _real_ leather, Sport have vinyl.

I did a whole post on exactly what a 2002 Luxury car contains some time ago - search should bring it up...

d-
If I recall, I was the one who alerted you to it :cheers:

Also, All M5's had the leather dash option...even MY'00s.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
If I recall, I was the one who alerted you to it :cheers:
I believe indeed you did. We had quite the discussion where you were adamant that it was leather so I called BMW to prove you wrong.

That didn't work out so well for me since you were spot on!!! :)

Also, All M5's had the leather dash option...even MY'00s.
As a stand-alone? I thought in the 2001MY+ it was included (or not) depending on your seating choice?

d-

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
I believe indeed you did. We had quite the discussion where you were adamant that it was leather so I called BMW to prove you wrong.

That didn't work out so well for me since you were spot on!!! :)

As a stand-alone? I thought in the 2001MY+ it was included (or not) depending on your seating choice?

d-
Actually, I think you're right. only MY'00 was it a stand alone option.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts