BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just noticed the vinyl roof. Can that come off. I must have passed that over initially. What is the purpose of doing that?
The purpose of the vinyl roof insert is to simulate the carbon fiber roof panel from the e92 ///M3, I'm guessing. :dunno:
Vorsteiner markets a carbon fiber roof panel insert for the e46 M3 to mimic the CSL look.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Oh ok,
I assume it could be removed fairly easy or is this usually permanent? Not to my liking but am sure many do like the looks of it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh ok,
I assume it could be removed fairly easy or is this usually permanent? Not to my liking but am sure many do like the looks of it?
Yeah, it seems to be a popular "carsmetic" upgrade these days, especially on late-model 3-series coupes but I haven't seen it much on the e39 ///M5s. On the bright side, the original paint underneath is likely to be pristine. :cool2:

·
Registered
610 Posts
I really like the car but not a fan of that roof. Been in contact with owner and he is a little high on the price for me given that it needs brakes and rotors all the way around and is due for a brake flush and coolant flush. Very good Maintenance records as it has the 6 yr 100K miles service and maintenance warranty so everything that was done first 6 yrs is documented.

Very nice car and wish the owner GLWS.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Looks like a nice M5. Cool wheels!

·
Registered
610 Posts
The rims are cool. He paid like $200 per rim to get them stripped and painted. I think if it was not for that and the Eisenhaus exhaust he paid $2000 for we would be close to a deal.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Oh ok,
It's a vinyl overlay, and can be removed easily. Just grab a corner and start peeling - and use some good soap and water to clean it. The paint beneath it is a-ok! :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I really like the car but not a fan of that roof. Been in contact with owner and he is a little high on the price for me given that it needs brakes and rotors all the way around and is due for a brake flush and coolant flush. Very good Maintenance records as it has the 6 yr 100K miles service and maintenance warranty so everything that was done first 6 yrs is documented.

Very nice car and wish the owner GLWS.
Thank you --
The extended warranty expired in May of '09.

From the service history:
Brake fluid was flushed at ~31.5k miles
Front brake pads and rotors were replaced at 37k miles.
Rear brake pads were replaced at 42k miles.
Coolant was flushed at 55k, when the Insp. 2 was done.
Brake fluid was flushed again at 61k miles in October of '07.

Zeckhausen Racing - for brakes! :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Lucxy,
when are you putting it up on ebay or cars.com?
I'm not sure - I was hoping to sell it to one of our m5 board members here. :) I would probably put it on ebay motors after about a month or so.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Per the previous (second owner) regarding the clutch. To quote his email:
[I recall that the dealer I purchased it from (Chicago Motorcars) had the clutch replaced themselves. They did not know that it was still under extended warranty.]
Apparently, the clutch *was* replaced at that dealership. That was in early to mid '08 when the car had maybe 70 or 72k on it.

I wanted to post that in case any others were wondering. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thank you all for your interest and comments. I really appreciate the compliments too.

The car has been sold.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts