BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for a battery and have questions about a couple of matters:

(1) Can I do it myself? I am not a backyard mechanic. My on-line research seems to indicate that it's a straight-forward, uncomplicated process. But the product descriptions of those brands available from nearby retailers recommend (or insist) that it be done by a service professional.

(2) Will the battery for this particular car have to be registered and will it require a computer reset? Again, the product descriptions are saying yes while on-line research is saying no. And does it depend upon
  • the brand of battery,
  • the make / model / engine, or
  • (god forbid) both?
(3) If reset(s) are required, can I do those myself?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
47 Posts
No there is no registration on the E39/E46 years that I know of - I did search on the INPA menu awhile ago and never saw it and I have had no issues with batteries when replacing with those from autozone or the like. My E60 does need battery registering with a new one or it’ll kill the new battery through improper charging.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Assuming your car is an E39 M5, installation of a new battery is a simple, straightforward process. Disconnect the cables from the old battery (removing the ground cable first), disconnect the vent hose, loosen the hold-down clamps, and lift out the battery. Reverse the steps to install the new ones. Autozone or Advance Auto will come out to your car and do the install for free if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself. No need to "register" the battery. That silliness was created after the E39 era. However, you may have to enter your radio code to reactivate the radio, so make sure you have the code available. I don't think I had to reactivate my radio when I replaced my battery a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I just replaced mine a couple months ago. Very simple. When you open the trunk the nav unit will wake up. It’s important to wait for it to go back to sleep before disconnecting the battery. Disconnect the negative terminal first. After the new one goes in, reconnect the positive first. The Pelican DIY above shows it in the corner, but in the M5 it’s in the middle of the truck, closest to the bumper. I went with the Interstate battery. Great battery, perfect fit. Don’t forget to swap the vent tube from the old battery to the new. Again, easy.

Reactions: gsfent

·
Registered
969 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts