BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I could well replace my wrecked 00 with an 03 CPO lease-return M5. I guess the 03s started delivery in Spetember 2002 or so. A few questions:

What are the normal lease terms, 36 months or so?
Approximately when will the majority of the lease returns show up at dealers?
The CPO normally is for 100k miles in engine and drive-train, or is that bumper-to bumper?

I'm interested in a low-mileage car (I drive a lot), CPO by BMW. I'll likely buy a bumper-to-bumper 100k miles warranty for the car as well. I can wait for a big supply to have the widest choice and the best deal.

My utmost concern is a safe car, and the M5 has proven itself once. I am also considering an SL55 (Greg has strong recommendations on that), may be the Lexus RX400 Hybrid, the new Acura RL, and a looooooong shot, the C6-Z06. I'm not buying anything soon. At least until all the insurance settlements are done. Buying a car in 2006 is quite possible. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the education.

CP

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
A lot of BMW deal deals are 36 month terms, so I would look for cars to show up in late 05 to 06. If you loved the beast, I see no reason to jump ship unless you want more variety in your life, which isnt a bad thing. The E39 is a keeper in my book, so hopefully you can drum up a CPOed E39 soon enough. Who knows, you might find an early termination on a lease, or someone who leased for 24 months. Happy hunting, and did I miss something here? What happened to the '00?
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Ah thanks Pong, I was wondering and searched it out. I was in San Diego when that happened, and I am sorry for my tardy condolances. I am very thankful that you made it out ok, and that the beast that you loved so much protected you till the end. You are a great resource around this board, and it is great to see your posts. Best wishes finding another E39, as it seems like it has been a car that has treated you wonderfully.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bren,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm skeletally in one piece. The soft-tissue pains and soreness are starting to show. Not a lot of fun today. :(

CP

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I can imagine Pong, but give it a few days, time in a jacuzzi or a nice hot bath and it will ease. I was involved in a nasty roll over accident in MIB's land a number of years ago, and let me tell you sitting in a plane for around 20 hours (time it took to fly to Sydney, then to LA, and then to SF) was not fun indeed. Take some time off, rest in bed, and surf M5 board for a few days and you'll be back on track.
Sorry to hijack your new thread. :crying:

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bren,

You are a lot younger than I am. Old geezers heal slow. And that's on the BMW web site.

CP

·
10,455 Posts
Pong, I've been seeing cpo 02-03's at my local dealer on and off for a while. Not necessarily lease returns, but other trade in's, maybe some repo's or people who just didn't know what they were buying. Best bet would be to search at bmwusa.com where you can have them notify you when a car becomes available. Not always the best, as some cars will arrive at dealers and be sold off before they get listed, but it's a start. If you have some dealer contacts, they could probably find you a car of your selection at auction, then cpo it.
Mike

Edit: here's a thread from yesterday that has one listed.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50343

There are also about 5 '02's within 150 miles of me listed on the bmwusa cpo site.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Folks,

Thanks for the referrals. Color-wise, I'm partial to Sterling Grey (Hi BLUEDOG) and silver. I'll take my time. I'd like to be below $60k if and when I buy. Time is on my side. I saw the CPO listings in BMW's site. Most are in the mid $60k range. I think by Spring next year, when the bulk of the lease returns surfaces, I'd have the pick of the litter, and many more motivated sellers.

I also have to decide if I'd go with an E39 M5, or some other cars. The fact that I have a RUF for fun makes the need for an M5 that much less urgent.

Thanks.

CP

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I would guess you'd still see more '02s than '03s. My early build (9/01) '02 lease was up last October. Most '02s run 50ish depending on mileage. I agree that a low mileage '03 would be best and worth the extra money if you could find one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
chunpng said:
Hi,

I could well replace my wrecked 00 with an 03 CPO lease-return M5. I guess the 03s started delivery in Spetember 2002 or so. A few questions:

What are the normal lease terms, 36 months or so?
Approximately when will the majority of the lease returns show up at dealers?
The CPO normally is for 100k miles in engine and drive-train, or is that bumper-to bumper?

I'm interested in a low-mileage car (I drive a lot), CPO by BMW. I'll likely buy a bumper-to-bumper 100k miles warranty for the car as well. I can wait for a big supply to have the widest choice and the best deal.

My utmost concern is a safe car, and the M5 has proven itself once. I am also considering an SL55 (Greg has strong recommendations on that), may be the Lexus RX400 Hybrid, the new Acura RL, and a looooooong shot, the C6-Z06. I'm not buying anything soon. At least until all the insurance settlements are done. Buying a car in 2006 is quite possible. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the education.

CP

Check this car out:

http://www.bmwpeabody.com/sales/cars/car.php?id=1422

CPO 03
I know the delaer. it has 4K worth of extra equpment

VC CPT 8000 phone
Custom Sirius Install
truck mat, net
M techik splitter

So you are getting and 03 CPO fro 49-50K and estra stuff that you'll spend more on.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
Pong,

I was wondering, are you able to salvage any of the aftermarket parts installed on your totalled M5? Perhaps you should consider getting those parts and then putting them on the new M5 if you end up getting a CPO'ed one.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
atomic80 said:
Pong,

I was wondering, are you able to salvage any of the aftermarket parts installed on your totalled M5? Perhaps you should consider getting those parts and then putting them on the new M5 if you end up getting a CPO'ed one.
Jason,

I will negotiate with my insurance to buy the car back from them as salvage, if the price is right. I'll have lots of parts available.

Trick is, I'm not 100% sure I'll go with an M5 at this point.

CP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts