BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've known for quite some time that my M5 is taking quite a beating as a winter vehicle. So I'm starting to look for a dedicated winter vehicle. I can't get one right now, but I will be able to by next winter.

There are a couple 2002 325xi's forsale in the area with around 90K miles.

Are these OK cars? Anything I should look for? A lot of you guys have owned other Bimmers, so I'm hoping you can help me out.

Higher Mileage Audi S4's are in the same price range. Better bang for the buck, or stay away because of maintenance?

I still haven't 100% decided on a car as the vehicle of chioce since a truck would be so handy to have around, but I want to get as much info as possible.

How about towing with the X5? I've never seen one with a tow package, can it be done? What kind of weight can it tow?

Thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The only negative I have to say about 3 series Xdrive models is that they seem to go through front control arm assemblies. Actually it's the ball joints that go bad, but they are serviced as part of the control arm assembly. I work at a reputable indy shop here in upstate NY, and we see our share of just about everything. If I had to choose a new winter ride (right now it's a '90 Chevy K1500 pick up), I'd go with a subaru of some sort. They are extremely durable, and if you get a WRX, or WRX sti, also a very fun winter car. GL with the search! BTW, I have two customers, one with a 330Xi, '04 I think, and another with a 325Xi, a little older, but both e46 models, both with over 100k miles, and both are a blast to drive! I don't think you can go wrong, really

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

The Subis were on my list too.

Thanks.

Bob

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Higher Mileage Audi S4's are in the same price range. Better bang for the buck, or stay away because of maintenance?
ive owned a few audis in the past, the maintenance isnt all that different from bmw, except for the t-belt, waterpump, and thermo job which is typically ~1200 in between 60-75k miles... outside of that its pretty much inline with bmw. if you factor in costs for inspection I/II, bmw comes out a bit higher. my major gripe with audi though, is the resale value...

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the resale value is what is intriguing me now, seems to be a good bang for the buck especially when looking at the biturbo S4 or A6. I did a bit of research on them before I bout the M5 and found tons of complaints of electrical gremlins in the Audis, that was what I was worried about.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts