1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
4,849 Posts
She's virtually identical to mine, down to the spoiler delete -- except for the no-fold-down-seats and being 1+yrs older.

Interesting that the summary section of the ad says silver, but they got it right in the description.

Low miles is bad if the car was in Spartanburg for the Performance School, or if the Service History shows it fell behind in oil changes.

·
Registered
836 Posts
its been said that the degradable parts may still deteriorate over time even if little use.

unless its been in an accident, that m5 looks like a pretty good deal. that is low miles! id say it's till worth around $40k even.

i think some other member recently bought a low-miler for low to mid $30k.

·
Registered
373 Posts
How did a Nissan dealer get a 14k mile M5 on a trade-in lol.

·
Registered
637 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280230954468

Sure, it's low mileage, but is it worth $43K? I'm thinking more like $35-36K is a fair price, assuming it checks out.

And, when is low mileage too low? Is there anything on this car that can suffer from not being driven?

I'm actually going down to Victoria this weekend (my hometown), so I'm thinking of going to check it out.

--michael
I actually saw a car that I believe was the same exact specs out here in Los Angeles on Craigs List. They were asking 33 for a once owner car, garages, and claimed garage queen. So your idea of an asking seems right to me. Plus you can always play the card that they won't pay ebay fees if they sell it to you out of auction.

J Church

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Miles aren't too low. Recognize that you are buying a 6 year old car with no warranty- on the plus side, there are no worn out parts. (Might be aged, but not worn) On the neg, this probably hasn't had all the stresses a 60k mile car has.

I'd prefer 14k.

The only diff from a 2003 is the DVD based nav which you can add in 10 minutes. Also, it may not have rear SRS head airbags if that is important- this was an option.

I wouldn't go much over 35k. They are aksing 43k on craigslist. If this is THE EXACT color combo you want, maybe 37.

Good luck

A

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to the guy today, seems that they're pretty proud of the car. They don't even keep it at the dealership; it's at the dealership owner's house.

So, they'll probably try to hold out for their asking price. I also said that if we would come to a deal, would they let me take the car up to Houston to let my BMW shop (Bavarian Machine) do a PPI on the car? They said absolutely not, because "there's too much that could happen to the car in a 120-mile round trip". But, my mechanic could make a trip down there and use their lifts for an inspection. Riiight...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just noticed that they lowered the buy it not to $40,995. I am not sure they will see a bid with the starting price at 35k

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
How did a Nissan dealer get a 14k mile M5 on a trade-in lol.

I got mine with 57k miles at.......a KIA dealership

Not only that, but there was a badass-looking AMG, a few Jags, 2 M3s, and a CTS-V there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Miles aren't too low. Recognize that you are buying a 6 year old car with no warranty- on the plus side, there are no worn out parts. (Might be aged, but not worn) On the neg, this probably hasn't had all the stresses a 60k mile car has.

I'd prefer 14k.

The only diff from a 2003 is the DVD based nav which you can add in 10 minutes. Also, it may not have rear SRS head airbags if that is important- this was an option.

I wouldn't go much over 35k. They are aksing 43k on craigslist. If this is THE EXACT color combo you want, maybe 37.

Good luck

A
Thanks for the feedback. Honestly, it's not my first color choice, but it's certainly not my last. I'm not too much of a fan of the Luxury interior with the wood--I much prefer the Sport without the wood. But, I'd be willing to make the "sacrifice" for a car that wasn't abused.

I just don't know. That's an awful steep premium, even at $35-37K, for a low miles car. There's lots of 2002-2003 cars around with 50K+ miles in the high-20s to low-30s...

--michael

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got mine with 57k miles at.......a KIA dealership

Not only that, but there was a badass-looking AMG, a few Jags, 2 M3s, and a CTS-V there.
Is there something about KIA's that we are missing? Who would trade in those cars for a KIA ouichouichouich

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I talked to the guy today, seems that they're pretty proud of the car. They don't even keep it at the dealership; it's at the dealership owner's house.

So, they'll probably try to hold out for their asking price. I also said that if we would come to a deal, would they let me take the car up to Houston to let my BMW shop (Bavarian Machine) do a PPI on the car? They said absolutely not, because "there's too much that could happen to the car in a 120-mile round trip". But, my mechanic could make a trip down there and use their lifts for an inspection. Riiight...
It's the owners car...which is a common reason for high end cars to show up at down market dealerships.

They'll be holding it for a long time I suspect. Just not enough buyers for that niche. Unfortunately you may not be able to wait, but in 4 months they'll soften.

I wouldn't let anyone go 120 miles for a PPI. Can't disagree on that.

A

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It's the owners car...which is a common reason for high end cars to show up at down market dealerships.

They'll be holding it for a long time I suspect. Just not enough buyers for that niche. Unfortunately you may not be able to wait, but in 4 months they'll soften.

I wouldn't let anyone go 120 miles for a PPI. Can't disagree on that.

A
No, it's not the dealership owner's car--it's a "local doctor". Which I believe, because it's been titled & registered in Victoria its whole life.

OK, maybe you're right on the distance for the PPI. I just want to adhere to the rule of "no PPI, no buy" especially on such a high-maintenance car as a BMW, let alone an older M car. I would obviously put down a substantial deposit and have a contract where I would purchase the car if it passed PPI.

Who knows. I'll go look at it this weekend and see what I think. I've looked at a number of M5s so far, and haven't bought one yet. If it's not "the car", I don't have a problem passing on it. I'm definitely not in any hurry--I'd have to get rid of my S2000 to buy an M5, and that's going to be hard enough. And, getting the wife to agree to a >$35K-$40K M5 is going to be much harder than the other cheaper M5s that I've found.

If nothing else, I can give a potential forum buyer some intelligence on the car.

--michael

·
Registered
959 Posts
If nothing else, I can give a potential forum buyer some intelligence on the car.

--michael
Thanks, Michael. That car IS the color I'm looking for, as I'm a fan of the Caramel interior. I would like to hear your opinion on it...but I agree, even $37k is steep for an '02, no matter how nice.

Ideally, you work them on price but find a car with the right interior for you...and I'll swoop in afterwards. ;-)

Seems there are tons of Sport interior cars on ebay and locally on autotrader...you shouldn't have trouble finding what you want.

Please do keep me posted....my email is DoctorV8 at gmail.

Sanjay

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Hell, I'm tempted to buy the car myself...but I suppose two Sterling/Caramel M5s would be a bit too much, even for me! I love the color combination and searched long and hard for it (it is fairly rare). The miles are great - just enough to have been driven, low enough to be a garage queen. Of course, PPI, and all the usual cautions apply. Get a picture of the driver's side seat bolster - I'm always suspicious when there is not a picture of this as wear starts to show there first.

Seriously, two Sterling/Caramel M5s are too much...right?...:1zhelp: (As in, I need help!!)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hell, I'm tempted to buy the car myself...but I suppose two Sterling/Caramel M5s would be a bit too much, even for me! I love the color combination and searched long and hard for it (it is fairly rare). The miles are great - just enough to have been driven, low enough to be a garage queen. Of course, PPI, and all the usual cautions apply. Get a picture of the driver's side seat bolster - I'm always suspicious when there is not a picture of this as wear starts to show there first.

Seriously, two Sterling/Caramel M5s are too much...right?...:1zhelp: (As in, I need help!!)
I think three or more would be too much ;). 2 seems just right

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just picked up a 2002 with 26K for $32.9K. I agree, $35-37K max.

It is a buyers market. I would casually remind the dealer that most people are shying away from a 15 MPG vehicle in these days of $4 gas.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts