BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

To start, I have a 2002 M5, and the full-maintenance 3-year/36k-mile warranty just expired this past July. I hope someone *knowledgeable* can enlighten me for the following:

1) On top of the 3/36 full-maintenance, I believe the car also has a 4-year/50k-mile warranty of sorts that comes from BMW (basic stuff that comes with the car, not the additional/extended warranty). What exactly does the 4/50 cover? Is this the "powertrain" warranty that companies commonly refer to?

2) Depending on your answer for question #1, should parking brake be covered under the 4/50 warranty? My car basically will not hold its position on an incline (mild one at that, not steep at all) with just the the parking brake on. I took the car to the dealer and was told that since the 3/36 warranty expired, I'd have to pay out of pocket for at least 1-hr of labor @ $102/hr just to have the problem inspected. Now, to me, parking brake is a wearable/consumable item and is related to the overall safety of the car, so I would think it's covered under the 4/50 portion as well.

3) Any idea on what I need to do to fix the problem myself? Is it a simple adjustment? Any one with experience or procedure ready?

Much thanks in advance,

Tony

·
Registered
977 Posts
To start, I have a 2002 M5, and the full-maintenance 3-year/36k-mile warranty just expired this past July. I hope someone *knowledgeable* can enlighten me for the following:
1) On top of the 3/36 full-maintenance, I believe the car also has a 4-year/50k-mile warranty of sorts that comes from BMW (basic stuff that comes with the car, not the additional/extended warranty). What exactly does the 4/50 cover? Is this the "powertrain" warranty that companies commonly refer
to?

You can extend the maintenance to 4/50 or 6/100, as long as it's done while the car is within the original 3/36 period.

The 3/36 is maintenance, the 4/50 is "new car". The new car warranty is more then just powertrain coverage as it would cover additional items such as electronics. Mainteance is for consumable like fluids, clutches, wipers, brakes, shocks, etc. The 4/50 covers everything else.

2) Depending on your answer for question #1, should parking brake be covered under the 4/50 warranty? My car basically will not hold its position on an incline (mild one at that, not steep at all) with just the the parking brake on. I took the car to the dealer and was told that since the 3/36 warranty expired, I'd have to pay out of pocket for at least 1-hr of labor @ $102/hr just to have the problem inspected. Now, to me, parking brake is a wearable/consumable item and is related to the overall safety of the car, so I would think it's covered under the 4/50 portion as well.
Parking brake is part of the braking system and isn't going to be covered under the new car warranty. Depending on how far out of warranty you are, and the mileage ont he car, you may get somewhere arguing for it to be done under warranty, or splitting the costs.

3) Any idea on what I need to do to fix the problem myself? Is it a simple adjustment? Any one with experience or procedure ready?
Brake systems are fairly easy to work on. Ask someone to give you the TIS instructions and see if you're up for the task, or buy a used copy of TIS for $10 on eBay. If you've got the right tools (air tools are best, but it can be done with hand tools and a breaker bar for rusted bolts) then you'll be fine. A caliper retractor is nice but a C-clamp can be used instead. For the money you might need to spend on TIS/some tools, it will be cheaper then the dealer doing it.

You could also go to an independent shop.
Much thanks in advance,

Tony

1 - 2 of 2 Posts