BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a blast going through my new (to me) 2002 M5. Really loving the car, and going through some of the various small issues I've been encountering.

The thing I'm trying to figure out now is why I get no warning chimes for lights on / key in, and why I'm not getting any messages on my IC.

First, know that I do have a cluster with dead pixels which I'm going to be sending out soon for repair.

I have also ordered a new door chime/gong to see if that unit is defective. They are cheap enough on eBay to warrant a parts replacement.

More interestingly, I get absolutely no messages on my IC besides the ones I can scroll through using the stalk (date/time/mpg/etc.)

I get no FASTEN SEATBELT (although the icon comes on in the dash), no LIGHTS ON, nothing.

I should also note that my Tire Pressure system does not appear to work (even resetting using the button)

I'm putting all these in here, just in case they are somehow related. Is there a user setting to disable these somewhere? Or something more sinister.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
186 Posts
This is actually a question I'm also interested to hear answers. Can one code those warnings/gongs away e.g. with those INPA /DIS /SSS v32 software stuff via OBD plug? On my car the "FASTEN SEAT BELT"-related warning and gong is gone but everything else works normally.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
The gong, and probably the warnings as well, can be altered with NCS. Quick question, when you turn the key to the off position, before opening the door, does the steering column lift?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. I have a feeling some coding has gone on with this car.

To answer your question specifically - YES, the wheel does go up/down when I remove the key/start the car.

Is there a good dedicated code reader for a BMW that allows me access all these functions?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
There may be a few ways to access this coding. BMW NCS Expert via PC and OBD cable or perhaps PA Soft's BMW Scanner. These are not code readers in the common sense but software for coding and diagnostics.

Does the gong work when you open the door with the key in the ignition, move with park brake engaged? Do all of the interior (and boot) lights work? I ask because, when I purchased mine none of these worked. The issue was four broken wires in the scuba tube between the boot lid and the body. These broken wires are a common issue on the e39. Once the harness had been repaired everything worked properly again.

As far as the CC messages; the notifications may have been disabled.
Here is what I found in NCS Dummy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup all those functions are off in my car.

All interior and trunk lights work, but all those messages I see in the images are disabled. No key warning, no light warning, no door warning, no seat belt warning.

Looks like I need to find someone who can recode all this stuff.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Yup all those functions are off in my car.

All interior and trunk lights work, but all those messages I see in the images are disabled. No key warning, no light warning, no door warning, no seat belt warning.

Looks like I need to find someone who can recode all this stuff.
You may want to post a thread on your region's forum for someone local with experience with NCS Expert who would be willing to lend a hand. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts