1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The good:

Relatively well maintained according to PPI
Body is straight and paint great
Lemans Blue on Black (a personal favorite)
$18,500...NICE price
Clean title
2 owners
Maintenance records

The bad:
110k miles
Needs 4 tires
Needs a clutch yawnnnn
Many pixels out in instrument cluster
One headlight is HID...the other halogen.:confused2

If my budget were $23k+, I'd absolutely pass on this car.

But my budget, with $5k set aside for repairs, is $19k.

Is this a fair buy in the high mileage M5 market?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mother of pearl that is inexpensive! I would snatch that vehicle up at that price if I didn't already own one! It sounds like it wasn't necessecarily pampered, but put in a bit of the money you saved on the purchase to repair things and it can be good as any. Pics?

Edit: Wait a minute, you already have a M5? That might change things, why purchase another nearly identical vehicle?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Have 2 independents check it out an see what they say. Pretty high miles though. The car, the way you describe it seems to have been driven pretty hard. Repairs may exceed your budget. The repairs you describe already will run you about $4k. If it does, your budget is shot and it will become a financial hardship rather than a fun car. It's priced right but I'd pass. Save more money and wait for a better one. Besides, you already have an M5. So, unless it's dying, you probably aren't in a rush. I would wait and spend my money on one in a little better shape with less miles. Good Luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you are to do the repairs yourself then it should be within your budged or may be even less, but if you intend to take it to a shop and have them perform the repairs. Your budged will be a bit short.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
How often was the oil changed? ie what is the DOCUMENTED oil change interval?

If it was 15k miles and it ran the bmw5w30 oil, PASS.

·
Registered
724 Posts
wow, nice price.

The only thing that would worry me is the one Halogen light. I assume the car has been in an accident. If they replaced the headlight with a halogen, what other shortcuts have they taken to get the car back on the road. I'd take a closer look at that. I'd also look at suspension components and brakes to see what needs replacement.

·
Registered
473 Posts
There are lots of MY2000s out there with over 100k miles in this price range. Usually the SES light comes on for carbon build up and people dump them after getting the story from the dealer that it will cost $8,000 to fix. I would drive it around long enough for the light to come back on after someone cleared it with a Peake reader. If so, you can get the software fix and have a cheap car to drive around with only the threat of Vanos failure or bad rod bearings hanging over your head.

Reactions: wilsodh

·
Registered
473 Posts
If by big you mean frequent, then it does occur enough that there is a sticky on this board and we have done surveys. If you turn on and off the car a few times as you test drive it increases the chance that any SES lights will come back on. It still can take days however, so most people don't see the light until after they have purchased the car and owned it for a few days. The topic is discussed extensively on the board so if you do a search you can spend hours educating yourself.

Is carbon build-up a big problem with these?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd pass. The price is low, but its relative. I just bought an perfectly straight 01' for $24K (dealer otd) that does not need tires, clutch, or a new light, and it has less than 54K miles on it. I paid more up front, but in the end you'd be paying the same for a car with twice the mileage.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This was exactly what i was thinking when you mentioned the difference in headlights. It could be something as benign as a headlight cracked, or the owner tried to change one and broke it, then couldn't afford to replace it.

But it's *much* more likely the car was in an accident, and you have no way to tell how extensive the damage was. If one headlight was replaced subpar... what if the suspension on that side was done as well? Will the car drive like it's supposed to?

Another point, if you need 4 new tires, and a new clutch, you can figure that's $1800-$2500-ish - depending on what parts you choose to go with. Why not look for a car that's say, $4,000 more and you know has never been in an accident or had odd repairs?

wow, nice price.

The only thing that would worry me is the one Halogen light. I assume the car has been in an accident. If they replaced the headlight with a halogen, what other shortcuts have they taken to get the car back on the road. I'd take a closer look at that. I'd also look at suspension components and brakes to see what needs replacement.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's more to the story:

1. I don't own a Silvertone '00. I almost bought one. Interestingly, I tried to open account listing my car as a non-BMW and wasn't granted posting rights. I opened a new account with a new name and my prospective M5 and was granted rights. ;)

2. The car is for sale by an independent BMW mechanic.

3. He can replace the clutch at his cost: $800.

4. The car was not in an accident. I perform body work myself, and my PPI inspector looked for signs of an accident.

5. The seller (mechanic) recently replaced an HID bulb. He claims the new one burns bright and the old one is dull. He says that a new $185 bulb will resolve the problem.

So...$985 + $18,500 = $19485 for a 2002 w/ 110k miles and a new clutch.

I could buy used tires for around $500 all around, bringing the total to $20k.

Still a good buy?

·
Registered
197 Posts
As a guy who bought a car that originally had a "few little things" wrong, that ended up being a whole bunch of things, I would advise you to budget at least a few G's for fixes. I did everything myself, and basically have the car sorted out at this point, but it cost me quite a few dollars to get things right.There is no question that you'll spend the $$ on maintaining the car, the question is simply over what period of time.

This car deal sounds like it has some nice potential, but be ready to spend some serious dough just to deal with the issues that you know are wrong, let alone the ones you won't know about for a while. You've got a good starting price, but you've got to go into it eyes wide open and be aware that the potential exists to spend $5k or more right away. Would it still be a car you'd love at $25k? $28k? Because thats what it could be real quick after purchase, tires, clutch (& flywheel? RMS, etc), headlight fix, instrument cluster, unknowns, tax/title/registration.

·
Registered
571 Posts
There's more to the story:

1. I don't own a Silvertone '00. I almost bought one. Interestingly, I tried to open account listing my car as a non-BMW and wasn't granted posting rights. I opened a new account with a new name and my prospective M5 and was granted rights. ;)

2. The car is for sale by an independent BMW mechanic.

3. He can replace the clutch at his cost: $800.

4. The car was not in an accident. I perform body work myself, and my PPI inspector looked for signs of an accident.

5. The seller (mechanic) recently replaced an HID bulb. He claims the new one burns bright and the old one is dull. He says that a new $185 bulb will resolve the problem.

So...$985 + $18,500 = $19485 for a 2002 w/ 110k miles and a new clutch.

I could buy used tires for around $500 all around, bringing the total to $20k.

Still a good buy?
You have got to be kidding me. A USED set of rubber for an M5?! You should ALWAYS put the best rubber you can afford on the car. Your life may and often does depend on them. As for the clutch, have the mechanic replace it and add it to the price of the car. Do the same with the bulbs. That way the mechanic has to do what he says as a condition of sale. Make sure all the things he said he would do, he does correctly. I'm still a little leary though. Good Luck!

·
Registered
446 Posts
next time I get busy, I'm using 'used rubber'

c'mon man.....if you're trying to squeak into an m5 with high mileage, I'd just pass and wait for the mid 20 price range...by that time, you will find nice 2002s for that maybe?

not trying to tell you no, but you need to have $10k disposable after you buy it IMHO.

good luck with whatever you do, and if you buy it...pics or ban....

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
If your economic situation is such that you would actually consider slapping some used tires on the car, I'd say pass until you can afford the proper upkeep of an M5.

Dave

1 - 20 of 31 Posts