BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously thinking about parting with my beast to finance adding a shop to my home.
This is not my first and hopefully will not be my last E39, however I think I'm going to take a couple steps back in terms of vehicles for a couple years while I focus on completing the rotisserie restoration of my high school car - a 68 Charger R/T (440/auto car)

Anyways, on to the main event -
The car is Carbon Black, has grey inserts in seats and the brushed stainless trim. A very attactive combination if you ask me.
The exterior is pretty clean, has some road rash on wheels, couple door dings and a couple scuffs on the bumpers. It's NOT perfect. It is a 9 year old car that was used as transportation by the prior owner before I got it and put it on a pedestal.
The interior is in very good condition, no wear on the seat bolsters(!). It has a couple small scratches in the back seat, however they are not noticeable until you get right up on it. I have treated the leather and they become nearly invisible after a good conditioning.
The car still has the original ///M5 floor mats in pretty good condition, they are starting to show some wear on the attaching points, however are completely serviceable should you not wish to invest in a new set right away.

Issues:
Seats - both power seats are acting up, I believe the cable fix is all that is needed. You can feel the motors run but no movement occurs.

Clutch - clutch is starting to get to the point where it will need replaced if you intend on doing any racing with the car. It holds just fine unless you're really ripping it through the gears, when it will slip upon upshift. Granny shift and it holds the power fine. It has been like this as long as I have had it (4,000 miles) and has not gotten worse. I just don't beat on it and all is fine! :) I attribute this being worn to the car being driven by the original owner's wife in Phoenix traffic which caused premature wear. I have spoken with the original owner at length regarding the vehicle and did not get the impression it was abused in any way. He was a surgeon in his 60's, this was his wife's car.

Nav - nav is flaky if it's below 40 or so out when first starting the car. Once warmed up it works just fine. I posted in a thread about this issue and have since had no issues.

It does have a boo-boo on the carfax, it was not serious and per my conversation with the original owner, the car still carries the damage ala scuff on right corner of the rear bumper from a parking lot encounter. The damage is extremely minimal and could easily be 98% buffed out. There was NO damage to the bumper cover, purely a paint scrape with some paint transfer from the other vehicle onto this car which I will detail in pictures.

I am being upfront and describing flaws, being overly critical. This is a VERY nice car and has not been hacked up in the least.
The only mod is a mild tint on the windows.
This car is a 2 owner car (I am #2), original owner was a surgeon in Phoenix. I had it brought to Iowa last September/October in an enclosed transport.
It has sat in the garage since the first hint of snowfall and I have driven our Jeep as there was no reason to expose it to the elements.
I have yet to get it out for the year, but it has been started every now and again and allowed to warm up to keep things fresh.

Car had fresh TWS oil change and service last fall immediately prior to putting it away.
It also has Pilot Sports with good tread remaining.
I will get it out this week after work for a bath and pictures (snowing lightly now), but wanted to get this out there before driving it as I have a feeling once I get back in it to run to the car wash I will decide to just get a small HE loan vs selling it.
As I said, this car is unmolested and other than tint 100% stock. As you can see it also has very low miles for a nearly 10 year old car.

I am willing to travel 2 - 300 miles to meet a buyer as I realize Iowa is not the most convenient location at times.

Price is slightly negotiable, but please no insults...how often do these cars come along with less than 50k on them? I have already discounted for the service issues the car is going to need in the near future (clutch/seats).
I have a clear title in hand ready to sign over to the buyer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Any pictures? GLWS

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds like a fair price to me - GLWS!

I think you might pique additional interest if you could put up pictures though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, I will definitely get some pics taken in the next couple of days. The weather here was not the best today - light snow/wet/salt so didn't want to take it out for them.

Thanks for the thoughts, I thought it seemed reasonable too...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a few quick pics. If anybody would like anything more specific please let me know.

Also had an offer of 19 on the car...if you want it I suggest you move quickly as I am motivated and want this car gone. One way or another this thing is going to go fast.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very clean. the rear bumper isnt bad at all. How many miles did you have the car for?
Thank you, I've put about 3-4,000 miles on it in the 7 months I have had it.
Drove it today and really having second thoughts about selling it. This thing drives like a dream.
But, it seems a bit like a waste to keep it for a nice weather daily driver as it's such a nice car...

·
Registered
94 Posts
hold out for 21K - you will get it cause it is worth that even with the boo boo bumper. I got my 02 with 29K and a new OEM clutch w flywheel for 26K just a year ago...

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Most buyer are going to hate this but your price is too low even for "I just want to get rid of the car to finance a business venture"

I would have paid $23K for this car 2.5 months ago when I purchased mine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most buyer are going to hate this but your price is too low even for "I just want to get rid of the car to finance a business venture"

I would have paid $23K for this car 2.5 months ago when I purchased mine.
Well that's an easy problem to solve - how about this - asking $21k, but I'll take $23k. :7:

If it's not gone in a week I'm going to take the 19 and be done with it assuming the car I am looking at buying hasn't sold.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Jon01,

I have been trying to figure out which vehicle will be my next...M3, M5, Vette, G35, G37, IS300. I have a 67 Camaro for a project car, and want a fun driver.

After looking at different vehicles for a month or so, the M5 is what I will be purchasing. This is my first post here, so I do not believe that I will be able to send or receive PMs. Please email me at XXX. I am from Florida, and I would like to know a little more about the salt used on the roads there in the winter, as well as how often it may have been driven on the roads in the winter...if it's possible for you to know.

I can't make it out there until early next week, but I would like to learn more and will hop on a plane early next week if the car is right and a plane ticket isn't rediculously priced.

I look forward to learning more!

Jay

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jay,
I will email you as soon as I get home regarding your question (can't get at my personal account here, nor my work account there), however, I wanted to post here to clarify something should anyone else have a similar question - this car has NOT been driven through a midwest winter.
I parked it at the first sign of snow (October) and it has sat with a trickle charger on it through the winter months, being started every couple of weeks just to keep things flowing.
I have driven our Jeep to avoid exposing it to all of the lovely chemical treatments the cities and state use to keep our roads somewhat safe.

Thank you for your question, it is a good point that needs clarified.
Jon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice car, any vanos issues or anything else besides what is listed? Do you have an estimate for how much fixing the seats would cost? Thnx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interested

Ive been a long time E39 M5 fan and am looking for something faster. Had a couple of quick questions:
Does your car have the extended leather (leather on dash, doors etc)
All books and records and two keys?
email me at intercapitalrealty at gmail.com

your price is spot on.
Thanks
Daniel

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JBS - no VANOS issues, never makes a peep. Seats would be a simple fix using the DIY on this site or BF, can't remember where I saw it.

Daniel - I don't think it has extended leather, it has the suede headliner though. I have 3 keys I believe, 2 remotes and the valet key.

Have a full price offer so going to mark this as pending sale. I will update if the transaction falls apart.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Jon,

I shot you an email. As discussed last night, I confirmed the money, and made a transfer that should be available to me tomorrow! Let me know which day next week works best for you and I will book my ticket!

Thank you!

Jay

·
Registered
924 Posts
Nice car. Black is not my color, or else I'd be in the running. GLWS.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts