BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i raced my buddy who has a stock 335i 6MT from a 40 roll and i demolished him, the next day he gets a jb4 chip and e85 tune and my car stayed with him in 2nd but 3rd he just pulled on me. My question is this, I'm thinking of chipping my stock 2002 m5 and I would like to know which one would be best. Also what things can i do to make it a little quicker (not too pricey). :cool2:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
So i raced my buddy who has a stock 335i 6MT from a 40 roll and i demolished him, the next day he gets a jb4 chip and e85 tune and my car stayed with him in 2nd but 3rd he just pulled on me. My question is this, I'm thinking of chipping my stock 2002 m5 and I would like to know which one would be best. Also what things can i do to make it a little quicker (not too pricey). :cool2:
Contact Matt, PedM5 on the forum for the tune.

·
Registered
243 Posts
How many miles do you have on the car? Have the MAFs, CPS sensors, or Oxygen sensors ever been replaced (or the fuel filter)?

Even if the sensors aren't currently throwing a code - replacing one or more sensors (that were on their last legs) can have a significant impact on performance. And it's not that expensive and at some point you'll probably have to do it anyway. Whatever you decide, I would stay away from oil-based intake filters.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
By going to the JB4, he went from 8 psi to13 with no supporting mods. If he were to throw on downpipes, he could bump up to map 2 which is 14.5 psi. Nothing short of a supercharger will keep you close to him at that point. Period. I have installed over a 100 sets of downpipes and nearly as many JB4's for the local crowd and know first hand what they can do. I used to have a tune only 335 and it trapped 116 with a splash of race fuel in it. I also had a healthy stock M5 at the same time and the roll on races between to two were not close. :M5launch:

·
Registered
303 Posts
By going to the JB4, he went from 8 psi to13 with no supporting mods. If he were to throw on downpipes, he could bump up to map 2 which is 14.5 psi. Nothing short of a supercharger will keep you close to him at that point. Period. I have installed over a 100 sets of downpipes and nearly as many JB4's for the local crowd and know first hand what they can do. I used to have a tune only 335 and it trapped 116 with a splash of race fuel in it. I also had a healthy stock M5 at the same time and the roll on races between to two were not close. :M5launch:
Clemster, you read my mind. Well said. Remember OP, he's boosted so he can squeeze much more potential out of that chip w/ what we could call basically increasing boost.

Good luck and most importantly have fun n be safe :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Any chipped 335i will lay waste to our cars, plain and simple. Except 'verts on low boost, lol.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I also wasted my cousins 335 hes stock. But vs JB4 Your going to need more than a tune. =BlownS62

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Clemster, you read my mind. Well said. Remember OP, he's boosted so he can squeeze much more potential out of that chip w/ what we could call basically increasing boost.

Good luck and most importantly have fun n be safe :M5thumbs:
Unfortunately, this is all too true. However, if you really want to but the 335s in their place...
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/163298-e39-ls1-swap-completed.html

:M5launch::hihi:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
His car weighs 400-500 pounds less and is now putting down more WHP and WTQ than yours. You will not win the modifications wars short of going to a supercharger kit (and then he could still outdo you with a few more modifications of his own).

Clemster if you read this: I'm thinking of modifying my 08 535xit for a bit more power when warranty is up. Do you work on ANY n54 or would seeing a e60 wagon in your garage turn off all the cool kids? :)

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
If you have money, he works on it :)

I ran into a 135 M-Sport full race decide to try to imprss me with how fast his car was this weekend in Mexico. It didn't work hiha

·
Registered
6,198 Posts

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
A Vishnu car that actually ran :eek:

·
Registered
119 Posts
335is can beat an m5 as well as any chipped 335I so it's normal. I wonder if a chipped m5 can beat a chipped 335I.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
A chip on an M5 is going to pick up what? 20whp/wtq at most?

A chip on a 335 picks up 60 whp/wtq. End of story.

I have 335 and M5. My 335 is significantly faster than the M5 in any gear at any speed. M5 is still a fun car to drive, though!! And the 335 can't touch the M5 exhaust note. I enjoy both cars, but for different reasons.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How much did he pull away in 3rd gear?
Most likely a tune for our S62 won't make it a close race.
You will have to resort to a S/C kit.

Looks like we might have a good old power pissing match.
When he was stock I took him by 3 cars. After he chipped it i was with him in 2nd but 3rd he yanked on me and at the end of 3rd his whole car was in front of me. So I didn't get raped, but I did lose.

·
13,589 Posts
Ehh...they're not so fast on the highway. Then again, I'm not stock.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the input fellas, sorry for being a noob and I do realize newer technology and turbos make it much easier to squeeze power out of the 335's. Oh well my m5 is plenty fast for me... for now :D

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
When he was stock I took him by 3 cars. After he chipped it i was with him in 2nd but 3rd he yanked on me and at the end of 3rd his whole car was in front of me. So I didn't get raped, but I did lose.
So then a tune would at least make you even with him maybe pull a car length on him.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts