BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,547 Posts
No one on here is clairvoyant and can diagnose your issue based on a single picture of debris floating in oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Agian xrviz, I think that's obvious. I'm trying to figure out what the possibilities are givin the detailed imformation and litlmited possibilities. Go troll some place eles.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,547 Posts
Not trolling bro actually trying to help. There are many threads on metal particles in oil. I've had some in my oil filter at times. From what I've read you can't usually tell where they are coming from without digging in and finding the issue.
Based on the noise you have the most like would be bearing, VANOS, or chain guide failure.
Also the chain tensioner comes pre-loaded. I'm assuming you didn't test it before you put it in, that can unload it and then it fails to put correct tension on the chain.
Did you notice any copper glitter in the oil?
The bearing are made of tin layer surface and lead-copper alloy base to my understanding.
When the guides fail you typically get plastic parts in the oil pan. Take a look in your oil pump also.

·
Registered
2001 Jet Black M5
11 Posts
I am curious if you have got an update on what the problem is? I have the exact same noise coming. Haven’t pulled the pan yet but I’ve been reading a lot of threads and I think it is the rod bearings. What I’m trying to figure out now is it better to fix it? Or just get a new engine. With a knock like that l, does it mean the crank will be scored for sure?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am curious if you have got an update on what the problem is? I have the exact same noise coming. Haven’t pulled the pan yet but I’ve been reading a lot of threads and I think it is the rod bearings. What I’m trying to figure out now is it better to fix it? Or just get a new engine. With a knock like that l, does it mean the crank will be scored for sure?
How many miles do you have when this happened I am curious what oil are you using and when change every 3500? Do you drive the car often or a garage queen. Do yuh ou drive dsr hard at all. Just want to know how this is caused. I have the same issue I plan on just changing the motor. Saving money at the moment.

·
Registered
2001 Jet Black M5
11 Posts
How many miles do you have when this happened I am curious what oil are you using and when change every 3500? Do you drive the car often or a garage queen. Do yuh ou drive dsr hard at all. Just want to know how this is caused. I have the same issue I plan on just changing the motor. Saving money at the moment.
I have 154k. Just got the car recently from a older gentleman that has a folder of maintenance records. He said that the oil was maintained and even had couple of the Castrol bottles still with the car. Why I think it happened, is after reading a lot of threads. I was getting on it pretty hard on low rpm. That’s not good for these motors, apparently it causes oil starvation and beats on the bearings. If the crank isn’t damaged then I see no point in changing engine. Bearings are 700 dollars. Just I can’t do the work myself. Found used crank for 650. Not much money in parts. The labor cost is what’s expensive. A used motor will run around 3500 from what I am seeing. But to me that is easier to do then internal work lol. I could swap the motor, but I can’t change the bearings and crank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 154k. Just got the car recently from a older gentleman that has a folder of maintenance records. He said that the oil was maintained and even had couple of the Castrol bottles still with the car. Why I think it happened, is after reading a lot of threads. I was getting on it pretty hard on low rpm. That’s not good for these motors, apparently it causes oil starvation and beats on the bearings. If the crank isn’t damaged then I see no point in changing engine. Bearings are 700 dollars. Just I can’t do the work myself. Found used crank for 650. Not much money in parts. The labor cost is what’s expensive. A used motor will run around 3500 from what I am seeing. But to me that is easier to do then internal work lol. I could swap the motor, but I can’t change the bearings and crank.
But if you replace with the upgraded bearing you think beating on it it at low rpm would be ok? I usually beat on it once car is warmed up and 20 miles later after beating on it to open it up I guess the bearings took its toll one day maybe. I only had 120,000 miles. I haven't gotten an estimate yet just don't want get upset on the labor. If get new engine do you suggest replacing the upgraded bearings in used swapped engine to avoid this from happening again. Appreciate the response!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Only way to tell if crank is damaged is to pull off bottom end. More often than not the crank is fine unless you kept driving it after discovering the rod knock

·
Registered
63 Posts
They will even be able to tell if the crank has been touched?
I'm not 100% sure but i would think so. Different parts of the engine are made of different materials and the oil would have those deposits of those metals if their was an issue. Call or email blackstone, they are very helpful and can help you out. Also its like 20$ for the analysis.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bet you could change the bearings if you have little to some mechanical skills. Youtube is your friend, and if you search BMW bearing replacement you will see its actually not that crazy and pretty straightforward. ALSO, i cannot see it being more than 1000$ in labor to do the job.

Im not sure about bearings, i havent researched them at all for this engine as I think they arent very common to change as thy are in the S54, S65, S85 but I would think these would be what you want, but others here may have some more info.

First step, contact blackstone, then go from there

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not trolling bro actually trying to help. There are many threads on metal particles in oil. I've had some in my oil filter at times. From what I've read you can't usually tell where they are coming from without digging in and finding the issue.
Based on the noise you have the most like would be bearing, VANOS, or chain guide failure.
Also the chain tensioner comes pre-loaded. I'm assuming you didn't test it before you put it in, that can unload it and then it fails to put correct tension on the chain.
Did you notice any copper glitter in the oil?
The bearing are made of tin layer surface and lead-copper alloy base to my understanding.
When the guides fail you typically get plastic parts in the oil pan. Take a look in your oil pump also.
Oh wow. Is there any truth to this? I just installed an oem chain tensioner that opened up on me before installing and it went in just fine after pushing in. Is it true that unloading it before install can put the incorrect tension on the chain? Do I need to buy another tensioner and install it compressed and unopened? Thoughts, guys?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agian xrviz, I think that's obvious. I'm trying to figure out what the possibilities are givin the detailed imformation and litlmited possibilities. Go troll some place eles.
JHOH did u I ever find out the problem or resolved the issue? Was it the rod bearings? Seems like a ticking time bomb ready to happen. Just curious on any current findings. I am on the same boat same noise and on the fence if just swap out the motor or rebuilt. Much appreciated your reply.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'm pretty confident it's the rob bearings. I have been slammed at work. I have the money set aside to do the repair. Once I get some free time I will be verifying the issues and buying the parts. I will update this as soon as I find out more.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts