BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I know the VANOS issues are namely (and unfortunately) limited to 2000 m5's...are there any instances of 2001 having vanos issues? If so, is it related to an earlier build date?

What are some common problems people are running into for 2001 around after the 45K mile mark...

Thanks for input, George
:M5eyes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just basing it on what I've read on the forums...if it's limited to future production years...I have no clue. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!:M5eyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2001, build week 14, had vanos replaced about 6 months ago (both banks). My car suffered from intermittant change in exhaust timbre that multiple new exhaust cam position sensors did not cure. No oil leaks or anything catastrophic, and no problems since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have seen Vanos posts on '00, '01, '02...not sure about '03. Seems to be more prevalent in '00 models. Maybe because more of the have higher mileage.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Before I bought my car, I researched this dilligently. I agree that most problems seem to occur in early build 2000 models, although certainly not all. It does not seem to be related to mileage as many posts I reviewed reported VANOS replacements with relatively low miles. I did come across some 2001 owners with VANOS problems, but this was rare.

Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! Really helpful! I will pray that it does not come up on my '01.

·
10,455 Posts
I would agree with this too. If you read the european bmw magazines, and their M car buyers guides, you'll see vanos problems are not uncommon on other M cars too, like the e36 M3's. I think vanos units can just fail with milage and age as well.

Jet911M5 said:
I have seen Vanos posts on '00, '01, '02...not sure about '03. Seems to be more prevalent in '00 models. Maybe because more of the have higher mileage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Early delivered 2001 with about 20K and had problems that were finally resolved by the replacement of the Vanos.

Car was never abused and low miles but it still took a vanos replacement to make it right.

bbfl said:
Hi all, I know the VANOS issues are namely (and unfortunately) limited to 2000 m5's...are there any instances of 2001 having vanos issues? If so, is it related to an earlier build date?

What are some common problems people are running into for 2001 around after the 45K mile mark...

Thanks for input, George
:M5eyes:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Vanos Shmanos.
Old school don't need no vanos. :M5launch:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts