BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently (a whole 2 days after the warranty expired) my Nav screen completed blacked out along with radio. Checked the fuse box and sure if enough I'd blown a fuse. I thought, simple fix and replaced the fuse with a 30 amp that was in its' place and not even a whole day later the Nav screen went out again...Thought I'd give it another shot with a 20 amp, turned the ignition and all of a sudden this really loud humming/buzzing was coming from the speakers :confused3 I immediately turned the ignition off, removed the 20 amp and tried the 30 amp and the same buzzing occured...Any suggestions or similar occurances from anyone? I'm out of ideas...Thanks all :cheers:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Gave it another shot...Putting in a fuse again that is - - and noticed some very minor sparks when the fuse would touch the fuse slot hmmm Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
BGKBCK said:
Gave it another shot...Putting in a fuse again that is - - and noticed some very minor sparks when the fuse would touch the fuse slot hmmm Any ideas? Thanks
something is keeping the voltage alive, when the key is removed from the igintion. Try putting in the fuse, after say 15mins from removing the key.

Do the components in the trunk still whiz/power up with the old fuse still in place?

Since its only a few days out of warranty, the dealer might help...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Right now I don't have a fuse in there at all for fear of blowing something... Everything does power up after I put a fuse even without having the key turned in the ignition...What got me worried was the loud humming/buzzing coming from the speakers and slight sparking coming from the fuse bank in the trunk after I put the fuse back in - - I'm all confused...

·
Registered
240 Posts
BGKBCK:

If it is blowing fuses, do not keep putting more fuses in, especially if its a 30 amp. Thats almost 400 watts! If you have a voltmeter and a wiring diagram, you should be able to single out the shorted circuit. If you have little or no knowledge of electronics, I would suggest taking it to the dealer and beg for mercy. If you have had a realtionship with them, they may throw you a bone. Otherwise, look on E-Bay for a E-39 M5 schematic.

Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts