BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
M5 owners and enthusiasts,
I need help, I recently purchased an 2001 M5 with 46,000 miles on it. I drive the car, and it is beautiful, However I left in the garage for 1-1/2 weeks, because I was away on business. i started the car and the engine had a knocking noise while idling, when I drove the car approx. 1/4 mile the noise ceased. Please shed some light on this.:grrrr:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Kennyb08872 said:
M5 owners and enthusiasts,
I need help, I recently purchased an 2001 M5 with 46,000 miles on it. I drive the car, and it is beautiful, However I left in the garage for 1-1/2 weeks, because I was away on business. i started the car and the engine had a knocking noise while idling, when I drove the car approx. 1/4 mile the noise ceased. Please shed some light on this.:grrrr:
Kenny:

Can you elaborate a little more on the "Type of Sound" you heard?

Did you also get out of the car and lift the hood to listen closer to the sound? How are you sure that the sound cam from the engine or engine compartment?

What was the prevailing OUTDOOR weather temps during the 1.5 weeks that the car was not started?

Did you have any severely cold & chilly winds during that Non0Drive period?

Any deep freeze type weather?

Kenny ... Think back a bit to when you first started the car after that
"Non-Drive" period ...

Did you just put the car in neutral and turn the key to start it?
... OR ...
Did you depress the clutch, turn the key and give it some gas and then the car started with just ONE REV??

Has the knocking noise ever returned since that ONE TIME occurrance?

Has the outdoor temp been a constant ... as a comparision from NOW to the Non-Drive time period?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gra8fuldd ed said:
Kenny:

Can you elaborate a little more on the "Type of Sound" you heard?

Did you also get out of the car and lift the hood to listen closer to the sound? How are you sure that the sound cam from the engine or engine compartment?

What was the prevailing OUTDOOR weather temps during the 1.5 weeks that the car was not started?

Did you have any severely cold & chilly winds during that Non0Drive period?

Any deep freeze type weather?

Kenny ... Think back a bit to when you first started the car after that
"Non-Drive" period ...

Did you just put the car in neutral and turn the key to start it?
... OR ...
Did you depress the clutch, turn the key and give it some gas and then the car started with just ONE REV??

Has the knocking noise ever returned since that ONE TIME occurrance?

Has the outdoor temp been a constant ... as a comparision from NOW to the Non-Drive time period?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
- The noise was definetly coming from the engine passenger side beneath the valve cover gasket.

- The outside temperature was around 30-40 degrees

- The temperature was never severe cold.

- Yes I just put the car in neutral, and started the car.

- The noise has returned as yet.

- the outside temp has been a constant 30-40 degrees.

Thanks,

Kenny

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
It is a common occurence on all BMWs for the lifters to run dry of oil if left over a long period of time without being run. The oil drains down out of the lifters(makes metallic noise) and takes awhile to circulate back up and lubricate them(when the noise goes away). It is nothing to really worry about unless the noise remains constant after a couple of miles. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TCM said:
It is a common occurence on all BMWs for the lifters to run dry of oil if left over a long period of time without being run. The oil drains down out of the lifters(makes metallic noise) and takes awhile to circulate back up and lubricate them(when the noise goes away). It is nothing to really worry about unless the noise remains constant after a couple of miles. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for your reply, I'm going to try that out. I was reading
the manual on the M5, and it states that the car should not be left to idle. It states
to start the car, and drive it slowly until the engine warms up. I will try this and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Kennyb08872 said:
I was reading the manual on the M5, and it states that the car should not be left to idle. It states to start the car, and drive it slowly until the engine warms up.
The reason for this recommendation is that at idle, oil pressure is very low, meaning increased time for the oil to completely circulate and lubricate the engine. Driving off immediately after startup results in less wear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts