BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Time to order! I have pretty much decided for the alcantara anthracite roofliner (no cost option), rear sunshade, PDC, and fold down rear-seats. (So no all leather for me, since it conflicts w/the sunshade option).

I heard about the new 2001 beefed-up stereo option. Does anyone have more information about it? All I know (so far) is that it costs $1200 and is either called the Enhanced Audio Package or the M-Audio w/Enhanced Bass option, and that it has 2 (extra? or just bigger?) subwoofers.

I am a bit concerned about ordering this option if it interferes with the fold down rear seats or if it reduces trunk storage space significantly.

I am also an avid audiophile (read: no, you won't hear 50-60Hz "music" coming out from my car from 200 feet away), and I enjoy the bottom octave (20-40Hz) mucho at home. It would be nice, but not absolutely necessary, to get that option in my car, only if I don't have to sacrifice fold-down seats or trunk space.

I would appreciate it if anyone who has already placed an order for 2001 could share with us some info about:

> The order code for this megabass option (e.g., 776 for alcantara roofliner)
> Whether it inteferes with any other option that I wanna get
> How much it actually costs?

I'll also find out more from my dealer when I put in the order tomorrow and let you guys know of any updates!

·
Registered
331 Posts
They introduced the enhanced bass option to eliminate the Vanos noise problem!

Go for it!

PS: It also helps with the weight ratio when you upgrade your exhaust!

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Originally posted by kuzibimun:
Don't waste your money with the enhanced bass system. I am also used to quality audio and I can tell you from real experience that the M5 does not have it. My 2000 M5 is just OK when it comes to this department. I would advise aftermarket amps, speakers and prehaps changing the CD player. All told for a quality install you are looking at about $2400.

IMHO BMW is not going to invest in the quality audio you may be used to no matter how much the option is. Save the money up front and spend it on the back end, you will not be sorry. I have the name of the components if you are interested.

Mark

Hello All,

Time to order! I have pretty much decided for the alcantara anthracite roofliner (no cost option), rear sunshade, PDC, and fold down rear-seats. (So no all leather for me, since it conflicts w/the sunshade option).

I heard about the new 2001 beefed-up stereo option. Does anyone have more information about it? All I know (so far) is that it costs $1200 and is either called the Enhanced Audio Package or the M-Audio w/Enhanced Bass option, and that it has 2 (extra? or just bigger?) subwoofers.

I am a bit concerned about ordering this option if it interferes with the fold down rear seats or if it reduces trunk storage space significantly.

I am also an avid audiophile (read: no, you won't hear 50-60Hz "music" coming out from my car from 200 feet away), and I enjoy the bottom octave (20-40Hz) mucho at home. It would be nice, but not absolutely necessary, to get that option in my car, only if I don't have to sacrifice fold-down seats or trunk space.

I would appreciate it if anyone who has already placed an order for 2001 could share with us some info about:

> The order code for this megabass option (e.g., 776 for alcantara roofliner)
> Whether it inteferes with any other option that I wanna get
> How much it actually costs?

I'll also find out more from my dealer when I put in the order tomorrow and let you guys know of any updates!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Mark,
What sort of system/compoenent would you recommend and roughly what sort of price range are you talking about? I'm interested.

--Dan

·
Registered
781 Posts
if you are an audiophile, i would not waste your time with the new M5 bass option. i ripped out my OEM audio system and replace all of my speakers and amps. front speakers are morrell, rears are infinity kappa perfects and sub is a 12 inch infinity perfect(mounted in a cabinet behind a hole cut through the ski-pass through). i went with 2 adcom amps and all balanced cables. total to date $4k. i am still working out some kicks w/ my integrated startac phone. i had to install a separate amp and new speakers just for the phone--right now i have alternator whine and am waiting for a jenson filter. also i lose the ability to adjust phone volume and ring from the steering wheel--a small price to pay for having quality audio.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I will try to get the option number for it and let people here know, though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The option number is 0752 and the description that shows up on the BMWNA order inquiry form is "M Audio W/Enhanced Bass".

Although I like the sound of high quality systems, I am hoping the M5 audio system will be good enough for me. I tend to be a little less particular when I am driving. If yes, more to spend on performance enhancements. If not, I loose a $1200 bet.

Mark

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Originally posted by bobafett:
Dan,

Remind me and I will bring the name of the amps and speakers with me when I come up for the meet. I have been assured that the new components will be completely transparent. Most of the OEM wire can be used with the exception being to the subs. All told the total cost will be around $2400. I would have it done for the meet, but since I am trading this car for the one on order, I will make the changes at that time.

Look forward to meet.

Mark,
What sort of system/compoenent would you recommend and roughly what sort of price range are you talking about? I'm interested.

--Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts