BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked with my local dealer regarding replacing my y2k lights with the new 2001 lights. They checked by bwm na. the response they received was that it may be possible with some rewiring and the possible addition of a harness. In any event it costs $1800 just for the lights!--exclusive of labor and any other required parts. Although the new lights look good--i saw a 2001 M5 at the dealer yesterday--IMHO they are not worth it.

Has anybody else checked into changing the lights?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
There's a guy named Jimmy on the E39 5 series board (not the E39 M5 board) at bimmer.org that changed the bulbs over. He didn't have any problem with the front headlights from what I read, but the rears were a pain in the arse and he had to put new holes in the new lights and change the harness a little bit. Well, his electrician did it for him, and the rear lights themselves took about 7 hours of tweaking and correcting for errors put out by the car's computer, but they do look nice with the LEDs in the rear. The fronts are so aggressive!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One clarification--$1800 was just for the front lights. i forget to ask about the tail lights.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes, I changed them two weeks ago.
Total cost : 1500 USD incl. labour, there is a special kit including rear lights for those who want to upgrade, they keep my xenon bulbs (the most expensive part).
Otherwise they told me that it's 1000 USD to change a complete (w/bulb) front light, so when you'd change all, which is stupid, it'd cost 1000+1000+min 1000 for the back, so 3000 USD, that's twice what I've paid !!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Tom,

Yes would love to find out where you got them as well. Thanks for your assistance.

Fred

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I've seen an 01 M5 and the new lights definitely look cool.
However,I am not sure that I would spend $1800+ on this upgrade when for a another $1000 or so, I can get a Dinan suspension upgrade! I think I will be doing the Dinan (either Stage II or III .. haven't decided yet?) suspension upgrade instead.

Andy M.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts