BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen 2 2001 M5s...the front turn signals where amber...sort of an amber and black stripe.

The pictures on the BMW USA site show white turn signals. Which is right? Will white turn signals become standard?

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you visit the official BMW NA website, you'll see referenced as standard equipment:

"Clear turn-signal lenses, front and rear"
www.bmwusa.com

Is it amber colored bulb lighting you see or an amber lens ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The piece visible on the side was amber. I was a little surprised. I thought it would be clear. The reason for this post is that I thought it may be an early 2001 thing...that gets corrected when the part is available.

·
Registered
907 Posts
A 2001 is in my garage. The entire side of the lense IS amber. Much more amber than my 2000 M5.

MJ

·
Registered
311 Posts
European models have no amber lens in the turn signals while every US model i've seen does.

There is a replacement lens you can buy from www.bekkers.com but you pay $300 for two clear inserts.

·
Registered
136 Posts
maybe this can help:

Dany

'01 M5 - lemans blue (Production Completed - Status 155)
'97 M3 - cosmos black

·
Registered
636 Posts
GradX:

I called Bekker and they sell clear signals which I have for my 2000. They don't sell the 2001 style yet. Am I mistaken ?

thanks

Originally posted by GradX:
European models have no amber lens in the turn signals while every US model i've seen does.

There is a replacement lens you can buy from www.bekkers.com but you pay $300 for two clear inserts.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Clear turn signals or clear reflectors?

The reflector is a small insert that is only visible from the side. I would think that the 2001 insert is the same as the 2000 even through the other changes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
fred,
you said you had the clear turn signals on your 2000 M5. did you have clear bulbs installed as well? i only ask because i have also changed the turn signals to the euro-spec clears. The bulbs are also clear but only "white" when flashing. Otherwise if only the parking lights are on, the bulbs light up with a yellow hue. Has anyone else had this problem?

thanks,
eddie.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Eddie,

I replaced the yellow bulbs to clear white ones. You can purchase them at Kragen's, etc. I think they were around $2 ? It's not to hard to install as well. What I might recommend is waiting until Bekker comes out with the 2001 replacements. So either wait for Beekers or maybe order directly from BMW once the parts come in. I might do that as well.

Also, does anyone prefer the old style lights vs the 2001 ? Just curious. I think the newer ones make the car a tad more aggressive, my $ .02

thanks

Originally posted by boonielander:
fred,
you said you had the clear turn signals on your 2000 M5. did you have clear bulbs installed as well? i only ask because i have also changed the turn signals to the euro-spec clears. The bulbs are also clear but only "white" when flashing. Otherwise if only the parking lights are on, the bulbs light up with a yellow hue. Has anyone else had this problem?

thanks,
eddie.

·
Registered
252 Posts
fred,
thanks for the reply--just one question: i already have the light assembly in place. how did you get to the plug for the turn signal bulb? did you remove the airboxes or simply do it when you had the assemblies out of the way?

eddie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts