BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've done some searches of the board but have not found what I'm looking for.

What exterior colors were available for the 2001 model year? I know the primary/most popular, but am interested in complete list. Also, what is the option package that determines what seat trim are in the car? I've seen some M5s with what I'll call more of the 'club room' seats (in appearence; more elaborate upholstery) vs. the standard BMW sport seats. Thanks.

I'm starting to consider the purchase of an M5. My 2002 M3 lease ends in 2 months and I'm looking forward to trying something new (the M3 has been a blast). I've also got a '99 540 Sport wagon with the sport package so an M5 would be a nice companion. If I don't go for something chunky like an M5 or S4, I likely go the route of a 2002 Carerra or new Vette despite the protests of my BMW loyal friends (I've owned 2 E30 M3s in the past including a race car).

-Stephen

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
DrewKeen said:
many people over look the vette for what it is. 911 turbo performance for less than half the price.
But a Corvette will never ever in a million years mach the Porsche in terms of pedigree and status...

But I must admit the old C5 vette is nice to look at, and the new one is even nicer, but why the hell did they spoil the car by making an interior from the eighties. Just look at the goddamn steering wheel. :confused2

:cheers:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome to the board Stephen :cheers:

The availability of colours varies from place to place but Carbonblack and Le Mans Blue seem to be very popular everywhere.

The 'club room' seats you refer to are known Comfort Seats. These are a rare option as 99% of M5s come with the sport seats. I have the Comfort Seats in Caramel Heritage leather with the Active Seat (massage) function; here's a photo:

They are very comfortable, especially for long journeys but as said before you'll be hard pressed to find a car with these fitted.

·
10,445 Posts
I'm pretty sure the comfort seats were not available as an option for the M5 in the US, at least according to the brochures I have. What the poster is probably referring to is the "Sportiv" vs the "Exclusive" interior packages. If the seats are a single color, with verticle ribs in the leather, and wood trim, it's the exclusive or luxury interior. If the seats are two tone, and (usually) the trim is aluminum, it's a sport. Check out the below attatchment for the "standard" colors available, at least early on in production (this was posted here a while ago). Rarely (in the US, at least) you'll find a car that's been done by bmw individual, in a different color (dakar yellow, for instance).
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was talking about the seats with the vertical ribs - looked at a Carbon Black car with those seats the other day. I kind of like them - different. If the go the M5 route I probably focus on Grey/Blue exteriors and only solid black or black/grey interiors. My wagon is Anthracite/Black and I like the combo. My buddy had the comfort seats in his '97 540i.

I hope to drive a vette in the next couple weeks - based on everything I've read performance is outstanding and ride/noise/etc.... suprisingly good. I'm hoping to get something with speed (seat of the pants) close to that of the M3. Vette should eclipse it and everything else probably come up a bit short but make up for it with more room, comfort, etc.... And then there is the Porsche factor - I owned a '90 C2 for all of 8 months a bunch of years ago and think I'm ready for another go. Some folks tell me it will be a let down after the M3. Drove one and wasn't thrilled about the seating position but keep telling myself I'll get used to it....

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Even though the two different seats were called luxury and sport they are really the same seat with different stiching. I also believe the sport seat was not 100% leather. I seem to remember that the colored insert for the "sport" seat was not real leather.

The luxury seat is all leather. There is no comfort difference between the two.

Mark

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
MAH said:
Even though the two different seats were called luxury and sport they are really the same seat with different stiching. I also believe the sport seat was not 100% leather. I seem to remember that the colored insert for the "sport" seat was not real leather.

Mark
Mine are one colored sports, and surely the whole seat is leather... My feel can't be that off.... But then if the different extra oftions with color matched leather in the seats where false leather, I don't know....

:cheers:

·
10,445 Posts
MAH said:

Mark
The colored parts are a different grain of leather, but they are leather. I think they called it "nappa point" or something like that.
Mike

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
SDSmithM5 said:
If the go the M5 route I probably focus on Grey/Blue exteriors and only solid black or black/grey interiors. My wagon is Anthracite/Black and I like the combo.
You should check out Michael Davit's Silverstone 2001 M5. He's located in Fort Lee, New Jersey so you should be able to arrange to check it out in person and drive it around. Here's a link to some more information on his car and his contact information: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48139

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I believe that there are parts of the seat that are not leather. As to just what parts, I am not 100% sure. I do remember the term "nappa" leather used in the BMW materials though.

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
MAH said:
I believe that there are parts of the seat that are not leather. As to just what parts, I am not 100% sure. I do remember the term "nappa" leather used in the BMW materials though.

Mark
In the owners manual it shows sport and comfort seats, i am assuming this was an option, one i would love to have had

1 - 13 of 13 Posts