BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone, my name is Andre and I am an addict. I've been battling car addiction for over 25 years with no cure in sight. I've been buying and selling cars not to make money, but to enjoy and experience all these wonderful cars in my lifetime. I've stopped counting after my 50th or 60th cars...it's both a passion and a disease.

I currently have 3 cars and 2 motorcycles (I am the only driver) and this M5 I drive the least. I commute to work 100 miles daily so my Audi TDI is a daily driver. Anyhow, I bought the car in January and had put only 900 miles since. I don't know why I bought it really...like I said, I am an addict, just had to have it when I saw it. I always admired the E39 M5s and had couple of 3-series BMWs in the past. The previous owner is a BMW factory mechanic from a local BMW dealer who had a newborn child and had to sell it. To say that he was very anal and meticulous with caring for the car is an understatement. The level of care for this car is ridiculous and it shows. The car looks awesome and drives LIKE NEW. And that is an understatement too. Everything is super tight, motor sounds and performs strong as new...this car needs NOTHING!

It has 109,517 miles as of today and it was serviced when I bought it by the previous owner. he also told me that at 75,000 miles all belts, hoses, bushings, joints...were replaced. Also new clutch, drive shaft, battery. I bought new Michelin Super Sports 2 months ago so again, this car needs nothing but a willing driver. It passed smog test in February. Also check out photos for OBD test results.

As far as the upgrades, it has a phenomenal sounding Magnaflow exhaust (it really sounds awesome), Dinan short shifter kit and basic Dinan engine performance mapping D900-50M. So very mild, that's it. I'd like to get $18,500 for it and think the car is worth every penny but open to honest and decent offers. No trades please. Have clean title in hand. The car can be seen either downtown San Diego or North County SD by appointment only.

Here is the link for the photos and two sound clips, one of engine at idle and the other one of cold start.
http://flickr.com/gp/tubocaldo/9U81RB

Thank you for looking! Andre

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I had couple of phone calls and it appears that the price is the sticking point. I do understand that we all want to get things cheaper in life, and at the end of the day the actual value is a result of our subjective view and objective market reality. I have no problem lowering the price since I can afford to do that, so if that is what is going to make someone happy, so be it. I am open to your offers fellas, I won't even put an asking price. But please remember that I don't need to sell the car to raise cash either, I can just as well keep it. So if you offer me $10,000 it won't fly. You've got to be realistic too...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Being an 01, you should see $15K from the forum at the highest point.
Thank you for the input. It is similar to what I've been told on the phone. It seems that the price range on the buyer's end is somewhere between $12K (good deal) to $15K (ok deal). So I guess I now have the "market price point range" if I want to sell. And if I do, I just need to make sure that I don't turn around and spend that money on another vehicle...being an addict...:nono:

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you have this car in a year, You'll see me. I'm in the process of saving to get an M5. Not much choice here in the islands.

Good luck with the sale otherwise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have this car in a year, You'll see me. I'm in the process of saving to get an M5. Not much choice here in the islands.

Good luck with the sale otherwise.
Thank you. I will keep the car for now as I am not prepared to give it away. This car is way to nice to let it go so low. It is interesting to learn that the forum members (buyers) are looking (mostly) in the $12 - $15K range (hey, I don't blame them, everyone wants a good deal), but in the "real world" there is nothing even close to that. I've searched the Auto Trader in the 200 mile radius (so not just down the street...) which included a huge greater LA and San Diego coverage - and the range is more like $17,000 to $25,000 (based on the condition, trip and mileage).

Anyhow, the car will stay safely in my garage and I will continue to enjoy it every once in awhile. My guess is at a 2,000 miles/year rate...I know, pathetic...perhaps it is better this way...who knows, next year when you are ready to buy, our paths may cross again. Probably cheapest way to get to Hawaii is from LA. Thanks again!

·
Registered
403 Posts
looks pretty solid from this pics. just some old fashion pikers trying to beat you up on price. don't sell it ruins the e39 market allowing pikers to ride these beautiful cars...j/k lol. but seriously good luck with sale.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If the car is still for sale, I will be in So. Cal sometime in the next couple of weeks. May I make an appointment to see it?

Just a warning, I'm not prepared to spend 18k asking price, but I'm willing to spend at least half the difference between that and the KBB value depending on the fit and finish of the car as is. Let me know, thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks fellas. I am not selling the car as of now. After carefully weighing the pros and cons, I've decided to keep it. I don't need cash, so certainly won't give the car away. Yes, I understand some of us may be going through a tough time and need to raise cash. I get that, but by selling cheap they really undervalue this awesome car. Well, I am not one of them. As far as the KBB price points...it's a total joke.

Like I said, this car is way to nice to be pimped away like that. I know I would feel awful. I also have this gut feeling that down the road, the well preserved E39 M5 will become a highly sought after car, much like the E30 M3 is today. Or if you want to go back even further in time, just look at the prices on 3.0CS/CSi...Well kept, maintained cars with less than average mileage will always demand premium. Just a feeling...

Of course, I am still a car addict as per my opening disclaimer, so who knows what the future holds...I just need to stop checking out other cars for say next 20 years...:nono:

·
Registered
59 Posts
So you would not consider an offer in the 15-17 range?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I understand. Hope you continue to enjoy your baby :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, I will for sure. I apologize for the broken link for the online photo album, even though it is not for sale now, no reason for members not to enjoy it: http://flickr.com/gp/tubocaldo/32JC8z/

I think I may (still thinking) be selling one of my other cars, the Mini-me (pun intended) version from my "Bimmer" world:

http://flickr.com/gp/tubocaldo/1n8qS1/

That may fix my addiction, albeit temporarily...;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts