BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Up for sale: 2001 M5 in Carbon Black on Full Caramel Leather (leather dash, doors, glovebox, etc.) with 127,xxx miles on it. I'm a big fan of very detailed for sale ads, so I hope you grab a drink and enjoy some very detailed information and copious pictures :)

The vehicle is in very good to excellent condition inside and out with a few modest cosmetic flaws IMHO. Mechanically it needs nothing and it is has MANY items addressed that are typical of this mileage m5 (Evolve Alpha-N tune runs MAFLess, brand new windshield, new OEM bumper, no pixels out, refinished wheels, front suspension replaced, guibo, all fluids). But before I get into all those details, let me share the background.

Background on the vehicle (prior to my ownership)
This m5 did not see snow until 2012 - it came into the country in Lousiana, moved to Texas, then Beverly Hills, then Tulsa, then Nashville, TN. It has MOST service records for it's life, including extensive documentation of the last 25k miles. I purchased the vehicle from M5board member "clo" and at that time the vehicle had 102k miles on it and had been modified with very nice upgrades. The underside of the car practically sparkled and there was no hint of corrosion/rust (see pic)

Overview of my ownership

I've owned this m5 for 2 years, 2 months, and 2 days - and put on about 25k miles during that time. I drove the M5 through one PA winter, and it was the 2012-2013 winter, a very mild one. I picked up a 2nd vehicle and the M5 has been a 'nice weather' vehicle since September 2013. I regularly put 300 miles in a day on the vehicle and trusted it on long trips for business. I share this because it remains an M5 I feel comfortable hopping in for a road trip with my wife.

Since my purchase, I found that the car had all the modifications I would have wanted: Evolve Tune, Dinan Stage 2 Suspension, Hella Euro Headlights, BSW Stage 1 sound system, Short Shifter, ZHP knob, heck, even DINY stainless steel radio knobs (full list of mods below). Instead, I've focused on keeping it in tip-top shape at all times by going through all the maintenance items and replacing some cosmetic items too. To that end, my records indicate I've spent around $9,200 in 2 years on mostly refinishing/renewing items.

I am selling because my wife and I have a second child on the way and I want to sell both my current vehicles and go down to one, newer vehicle (thinking a 2015 m3, we'll see).

So that all being said, let me list out the details of the vehicle:

Modifications/Upgrades:

- Evolve Alpha-N tune: Smoother power delivery, sport button memory function, SAI Code delete/ignored, runs MAFLess or with MAFS plugged in, more power than stock, just an excellent all around tune. Has passed PA emissions 3 years running with zero problems or concerns.
- Dinan Stage 2 Suspension: Koni Struts, Dinan Springs, Dinan rear sway bar. Perfect daily driver suspension. (Car was just re-aligned to dinan stage 2 specs as well)
- Beastpower rear sway bar brackets
- Euro Floating Rotors (not sure if these are still available today; outstanding rotor with lots of life left)
- Active Autowerke Ram Air Intake System (ducts air from front grille to both intakes and continues venting brakes as well) and "sink drain" mod
- e60 545i short shifter
- ZHP shift knob
- Alcantara shift boot and e-brake boot
- MKIV Navigation System w/ DINY Stainless Steel Knobs
- Hella Euro Headlights ( look great and function perfect, but please note the cosmetic disclosure below )
- CELIS Smoked Taillights
- Shadow Chrome M5 badge on rear
- HID fog lights (provided, not currently installed)
- DICE Ipod/iphone integration (see pic, installed in trunk, can be extended to cabin)
- Black Grilles

Car comes with:

- Peake Code Reader
- BMCables Software & Cable (full dealer-level diagnostic and coding capabilities)
- Trunk Mat (shown)
- Trunk Net (shown)
- BMW Oil Storage Bag
- BMW Ultimate Cupholder
- Extra set of Brand new condition Caramel Floor Mats

Maintenance/Repairs:

Cosmetic
- 127k: New Windshield & Windshield Cowl within last 1000 miles (installed correctly by VAC motorsports)
- 123k: New OEM front bumper painted and installed by VAC motorsports (paint is excellent, fitment is very very good). I did this because the original bumper had a couple of scrapes and was really rock pitted. I decided to get rid of the PDC system at this point, so I got a non-PDC bumper. Please note the PDC computer and sensors are still installed and tied back under the bumpers. But it is non-functional.
- 121k: New hood emblem
- 120k: New Caramel seats from an M5 with 42k miles on it, installed at 120k miles, done at "Clemster"'s garage. The foam/padding is stiff and almost-new feeling, seats function perfectly.

Repairs
- 123-126k: Replaced all 4 wheel speed sensors with OEM units from Bimmerzone. Three went bad all within a few thousand miles.
- 123k: New driver's side "porkchop" fender-liner replaced by VAC due to crack
- 122k: Replaced oil level/temp sensor
- 114k: Adjusted parking brake tightness (common problem, now very firm)
- 109k: Replaced fuel pump fuse
- 108k: Replaced fuel pump relay
- 105k: Replaced center and outer tie rods, sway bar end links (front), idler arm, and front wishbones
- 105k: Refinished wheels in shadow chrome by "The wheel medic"
- 104k: Replaced thrust arms with lemforder units, replaced guibo, replaced trans mounts with new OEM units
- 104k Replaced oil cap with e46 m3 round oil cap to prevent seepage

(Before this there are items like the rearview mirror was replaced, new oil filter and power steering reservoir mounts, etc. - all my collected records available via excel)

Maintenance during my ownership
- 127k: Continental DW Summer tires installed and alignment performed by VAC motorsport. Aligned to Dinan Stage 2 spec. Emissions and inspection performed and passed. Noted front brakes have about 5k left and look "dry", RMS and power steering lines weeping (not leaking, see note below). Inspected front and rear suspension & bushings and confirmed all parts look good.
- 126.7k: Oil changed with Castrol 10w60, new Bosch windshield wipers installed
- 123k: Emissions & Inspection performed by VAC motorsport (passed on all fronts). New NGK spark plugs installed by VAC
- 121k: Oil change with 10w60 and oil sample sent off to blackstone for analysis (see pic below)
- 121k: Flushed power steering fluid
- 120k: Inspected by "Clemster". Lower oil pan, power steering, and RMS found to be weeping (see note below, not leaking)
- 114k: Oil change with Castrol 5w40 SPT (this was pre-winter), sent oil sample in for blackstone analysis (see pic)
- 113k: Replaced air filters
- 110k: Replaced fuel filter
- 107k: Changed oil with Mobil One 15w50
- 105k: Rear diff drained and refilled with redline 75w140
- 104.5k: Bled brakes and refilled with ATE Super Blue
- 104k: Trans drained & refilled with Royal Purple Syncromax

I might be missing one or two items here but the point is: The car is up to date on all fluids, is up to date on all Inspection II items, the tires are brand new, the oil is brand new. Alot of common $$$ items around the 90-100k mark were taken care of (guibo, front suspension refresh, etc.).

Things to be aware of:

As you can see, I've tried to take care of the m5 above and beyond mechanically and cosmetically. There are a few items that you should know if you decided to check out my vehicle in person/have a PPI done and I really hope to have full disclosure here:

1. RDW/Tire Pressure Monitoring System Inactive - After replacing all the wheel speed sensors, the "tyrecontrol inactive" message has continued to appear. Detailed research indicates it's the RDW system which should be an independent module that can be replaced for ~$80-100 DIY. The ABS module was tested and confirmed to be good, the speed sensors are new, so the only thing left is the RDW module.

2. Rear bumper replacement - I backed into something in my driveway at about 3-5mph by enough to crack my rear bumper. I replaced the rear bumper with a carbon black OEM bumper at "Clemster"'s garage off a model year 2000 with 42k miles on it. The rear bumper did not have PDC and I had decided to delete my PDC "warts" at this time.

3. PDC Inactive - I replaced both front and rear bumpers with OEM units that were not drilled for PDC. I didn't like the PDC system - it constantly gave me false positives to the point I was ignoring it, then I backed into something in my driveway because I was convinced it was wrong. :) The sensors were tied back under the bumper. The computer is still in place. Currently it lets out a ~2 second beep when you go into reverse each time after the car is started and then goes inactive. The solve is to unplug the rear speaker or the PDC computer. Yes, I've just ignored it :)

4. Exterior: The vehicle has 127k miles on it and shows beautifully. The new bumper and windshield really benefit this. There are some rock chips on the front fenders that I have not touched up using touch paint or a system like dr. colorchip. There are a handful of hard-to-see dings I can't get to show up on photographs and are hard to see in person. All are PDR possible if desired, none really bother me since they aren't easy to see. There are also a few ~2-3" scratches on the passenger side that were lightly touched up to make them less noticeable. Happy to provide more info here if desired.

5. Interior: I have leatherique'd the car and kept up with lexol. The leather is overall in very good shape, especially for the age and mileage and that caramel doesn't like when you look at it or think about it. No tears, holes, etc. - the areas of wear are the driver's side door handle, the driver's side bolster (modest wear), and random little spots here or there (i.e. the lower door panels have a few < 1" black marks on them I haven't been able to get out). I believe the pictures show this well.

6. Leaking/weeping/smoke: There are zero leaks (i.e. drips) and zero smoke. I left the car garaged with no belly pans on for 2 months without moving and the garage floor was bone dry. However, I want to point out that the power steering lines are actively weeping (no big deal, I add about .5 ounce of power steering fluid every 6-9 months I'd say), the RMS is weeping slightly, and the lower oil pan gasket is weeping slightly. I am including an OEM lower oil pan gasket in the sale. It's a straightforward DIY job during an oil change.

7. Euro Headlights: The headlights and headlight adjusters function perfectly. The driver's side headlight looks perfect in pictures but when the light is on (see below) there is a faint spiderwebbing INSIDE the headlight lense. One contact said the lense is ~3 layers thick and the middle layer can do this. I bought the car this way, has not changed, not visible most of the time. The passenger headlight does not have this flaw, but has a small crack in the lense in the far corner (see below). In essence, the headlights need new lenses. I did not try to tackle this project.

If I think of anything else I will add it here. The vehicle has just been detailed and the sealant used was PolyNetShield by Sonax - first time using it, so I hope you guys like the appearance. Here come lots of pics and a link to a photobucket album :)

Full Album: M5 For Sale Slideshow by joefrompa | Photobucket

Passenger Seat back

Driver's side seat condition:

Driver's side headlight flaw:

Pass side headlight flaw:

Tyrecontrol message at shutdown:

Oil analysis records:

I have tried to be as complete as possible in this advertisement. Given the condition, cosmetic and mechanical items addressed, and many varied and quality upgrades, I am asking $17,000.

I can be reached over PM and my direct e-mail is joe dot orourke at YaHOOO dot com (remove the extra o from yahoo :) )

Questions and feedback welcome. It's been an absolute pleasure to be a part of this community, lust after this car for a few years, and own it. One more item crossed off my bucket list.

Joe

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.s. I welcome inspections/PPI. I live within a short distance to Bimmerworks, Ottos BMW, and Dougherty Automotive Services. I also live very close to Bimmerzone and can work out deals with the owner for locally picked up parts upon delivery of the car. I know I spent plenty there myself and continue to source parts for my neighbor too :)

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
GLWS Joe. It looks like you got yours posted ahead of mine :rofl: When are you looking at taking delivery of the F80?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P.s. In the album there are engine bay pics. I deliberately left the engine bay in it's "dirty" state so that a buyer can see any oil or fluids. I know some M5 consume ~1 liter/1000-1500 miles. This m5, since the day I purchased it, runs closer to 1 liter every 4,000-5,000 miles. Very low oil consumption.

GBPackerFan - Nice. :) I am securing an allocation for delivery in September right now, but that might move around a bit. My intent is to sell the e39 by July, then get the 2nd vehicle (07 VW Touareg) up for sale as well. We shall see.

·
Registered
798 Posts
what a beauty! Good luck with the sale Joe! Question where o where did you get that Shadow Chrome M5 badge? Looks so stealthy...i want!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry man, previous owner put it on. I like it too. My guess would be Schiedmann but that's just a guess since I've seen them have a few shadow chrome items.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the kind words and feedback Lightwerkz.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump. Bimmerzone, my primary parts supplier and local great business for the BMW community, just agreed to help sell this too :)

Feedback welcome as well from the broader community.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Price is $17k (noted at bottom of ad). Clutch was replaced under warranty early in it's life per my paperwork by BMW and I have no indication it has been replaced since then. However, whether it has been or not, in 2 years of ownership it has never once slipped on me. Not when shifting at redline, not when lugging uphill in 6th. I haven't really been a hard driver on it when it comes to the clutch, but it feels perfect to me and those who have driven it/checked it out (i.e. VAC)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: I de-activated the PDC central module in the trunk by disconnecting it's power supply. There is no longer any beep or flashing light on the PDC button. One less little item to deal with, though this was just some quick research and 5 minutes with a flathead screwdriver to pry-off those fun BMW connectors.

Currently in serious discussions with a potential buyer and forum member (yay for community continuation!)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Deposit taken on the car and expect to complete the sale on June 14th. Thanks for viewing everyone. The M is officially off the market pending completion of the sale.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Deposit taken on the car and expect to complete the sale on June 14th. Thanks for viewing everyone. The M is officially off the market pending completion of the sale.
Our timing is impeccable. I didn't even have to put an ad up and I have a buyer and it will close in the middle of June also. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice man. I've got my f80 m3 setup for delivery in September as of right now. I've got 3 months of the Touareg in front of me, which I am not excited about even though it's a wonderful ride. That's 3 prime months of good weather sports car time I'm giving up.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Nice man. I've got my f80 m3 setup for delivery in September as of right now. I've got 3 months of the Touareg in front of me, which I am not excited about even though it's a wonderful ride. That's 3 prime months of good weather sports car time I'm giving up.
I hear you. My delivery is September 17th. After 2 weeks in Europe, the painful 8 week wait for it to get to the left coast is what is going to kill me. :rofl:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Conrgats to both of you gentlemen. You have excellent examples of M5's and hopefully they will both go to people that will take care of them as well as you have.

I feel so alone right now.... ;-)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Great ad and congrats on the sale. Do I know you? You should bring the M5 out to West Chester cars and coffee this weekend before it goes away. I'll be there with my M5.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts