BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll soon be ordering my 2001. Does anyone know how the aluminum trim "fix" has worked out. Responses from anyone with peeling or flaking problems *on a 2001* would be appreciated.

Has the VANOS noise problem been fixed for 2001?

·
Registered
320 Posts
From my research, it appears that BMW has not yet released an "official" VANOS noise fix to BMW North America owners. If a VANOS fix has recently been phased into production, I haven't seen any details, e.g. production start date.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Scott,

I had my center console, parking brake and RR door aluminum trim replaced recently. The new material seems to be a little more durable. It's been three weeks and they show no sign of peeling.

Later,
Kenneth
'00 silverstone M5
<a href="http://www.logicalsteps.com/m5" target="_blank">power by M</a>

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So Kenneth, would you do aluminum again? I like the *idea* of aluminum trim, but if it's not durable, I'll probably just go with (boring) wood.

·
Registered
677 Posts
YES. Aluminum trim with two-tone sports interior is perfect for a M. Anything else is just too civilized for the car.

Originally posted by Scott Staewen:
So Kenneth, would you do aluminum again? I like the *idea* of aluminum trim, but if it's not durable, I'll probably just go with (boring) wood.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My '01 has no trace of VANOS noise (who knows I might just be lucky). I compare it to a 2000 I heard idling at a dealership about 4 months ago where the noise was very prominent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts