BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My name is Josh and, admittedly, I became a member here primarily to aid in the sale of my father's 2001 Alpine White M5 w/ red/black leather. Before you get scared, I am 31 years old and I sell cars for a living, so I was an obvious choice to help my dad when he decided to sell his babied M5, which is his absolute pride and joy.

Like many other car enthusiasts, my dad simply has too many vehicles. He is currently interested in purchasing a modified '08 diesel X5 and has made the very difficult decision to let this car go. His thought process is that he can justify losing the M5, along with his 2006 Trailblazer SS, in order to pick up such a vehicle, which he will also be using as his "daily" driver. With that said, my dad owns a business which is directly across the street from his home, so he doesn't do much driving, "daily" or otherwise.

Please understand that this car has been absolutely adored and, as such, has always been garaged, has never been in bad weather, has been professionally serviced at Sun Motor Cars, BMW in Mechanicsburg, Pa., and has been driven in a spirited manner only on occasion by its 50-60 year old owner. I myself have only in recent years been given the opportunity to operate the car unsupervised, an arrangement I always loathed, but also understood.

Dad purchased the car in 2002 as the second owner when it had just 11,xxx miles on it. He had been looking for white, specifically, and went all the way from Pa to Massachusetts to pick it up. The car has been his prize possession ever since, and in that time he's owned two Corvettes, one 2001 convertible, and now an '08 coupe. There's just something special about a large sedan that performs and pleases the senses the way the E39 M5 does.

There are some very minor tasteful modifications done to the car, including a Supersprint Magnum cat-back exhaust, which sounds absolutely phenomenal and looks equally as good. The stock exhaust, of course, will be included with the car.

When dad purchased the car, he was told that the headlights had been upgraded to "angel eye" style lights. I'm not sure exactly what he's referring to as I've only ever really been around this M5, so I have no real point of reference. Also, one year I got him some black emblem covers for the front of the car from Bavarian Autosport. They are a nice upgrade and look very classy with the white car and black trim. We also tend to install WeatherTech floor mats in pretty much every vehicle either of us ever own, and this car is no exception. They are the highest quality all-weather mats you can buy and they will also be included with the car.

This car has a brand new set of Yokohama Avid tires on it, as well. They have been driven on for maybe a couple hundred miles, tops.

As far as the condition of the car goes, it is in a condition I would refer to as excellent. I am extremely fanatical about automobiles and that trait comes as a hand me down from my dad. That is not to say the car is showroom perfect, however. There are the unavoidable stone chips here and there on the front of the car, along with maybe a couple of chips here and there on the sides of the car. Nothing that would warrant hideous "touch up" treatment, just unfortunate inevitabilities of car ownership. There are absolutely no dings or dents of any kind that we are aware of. I went over the car today and washed it by hand many times, so I know this vehicle well. It will not in any way disappoint anyone who takes the time to view it with high expectations.

Mechanically, the car is perfect. I won't bother listing everything that does work, I'll simply say that nothing doesn't. This car is as clean mechanically as you'll ever find a ten year old car to be. It has, as stated above, always been professionally serviced by the people who don't skimp on parts/labor, your local friendly BMW dealership.

I am very particular about how seat bolsters wear and I will say that these are about perfect, showing little to no wear at all beyond the normal wrinkles in the leather grain. You can see them in the photos. The rest of the interior, including the original mats, hidden most of their lives under the WeatherTech mats, is/are in equally superb condition.

This E39 M5 is as good as it gets. There aren't many unmolested, low mileage examples like this left anymore and we do expect to sell it for good money. We'd like to see $28K for the car, and even though I've seen them cheaper, I can't say I've seen any with this mileage, in this condition, any cheaper. If you'd rather spend $24-25K for less car, be my guest. Dad doesn't have to sell it and he doesn't plan to give it away. We will of course speak to anyone at length who would like to inquire further about the car.

I will provide a clean CarFax/Autocheck report to anyone interested via e-mail. I'll be happy to forward, through PM only, my father's phone number as well. I wouldn't consider buying a car like this until I spoke to the person who owned it almost its entire life, so I don't expect anyone else to.

You'll notice in the photos that I did not remove the car from its spot in the garage to snap pictures. We have had a rough winter here in the northeast and even though it was 45 degrees today, there was still some snow outside of the garage and I wasn't about to move it outside. I simply uncovered it and took the pictures. I can get some better pictures but I wanted to have something to post right away.

You'll also notice that I did not take a picture of the gauge cluster showing the mileage and vitals. This is because dad didn't remember to actually plug the battery tender into the wall after the last time the car was started and the battery went dead. An honest mistake, but I was in a hurry and didn't have time to deal with the fact that the trunk wouldn't even open due to the dead battery situation. I plugged the tender in and I'll deal with it later this week.

I work for my dad and will be letting him know what kind of interest I get here on the site. I haven't listed the car for sale anywhere else because I believe this kind of automobile is best marketed in a place where it's appreciated properly.

I apologize for the length of the thread but hope I haven't left anything out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
amazing car, if I found this Alpine white Beast when I was looking I would of jumped on this GLWS

·
Registered
931 Posts
Beautiful M5:goldcup: Good luck with your sale, i would say it's going to sell pretty fast.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Where in PA are you? If close to Pittsburgh I can take a ride and check it out for anyone interested.

Plus I want to see that sweet Van!

edit: never mind - I see it's close to Harrisburg

·
Registered
71 Posts
Please remove this post and let me PM you in July when I'm ready to buy! J/K

Alpine White, nice car for sure, and only an hour from me. :eek:(

Good luck with the sale, that car is worth more than the average E39 M5 for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am very sorry that I haven't updated this listing before now. My dad and I have both been real busy and to be honest, now that I started the process, he's kicking back and waiting for me to come to him when I start to get seriously interested parties involved. There are a few things that I missed when I originally listed this the other day, and I hope you guys will understand and take them only for what they are, honest mistakes and minor oversights.

First off, the car has 38,xxx miles on it, not 32,xxx. I am very sorry for the mistake, but as I said in my first post about the car, the battery tender was inexplicably left unplugged (cough, Dad, cough) and I was unable to get the exact mileage until tonight after work. Please remember, the mileage quote came from my dad, who hasn't driven this car in 5 months. I should actually be surprised he was only off by 6,xxx miles.

WARNING: If you can't remember the mileage of your own highly sought after German sports sedan, you probably have too many automobiles.

Anyhow, I have taken additional, detailed photos of the car. Some of you asked for more interior pictures and others expressed interest in seeing the wheels up close. I think everyone will be pleased with the new pictures I'm uploading, however, if you would like to see more of any aspect of this car, please let me know.

I took two photos of the front right bumper cover area after I remembered there is a small scuff there. This is the worst blemish on this car and I photographed it both with and without flash in order to accurately depict it. You can also see a small stone chip at the bottom of the right side of the bumper cover. This is the worst and maybe only real stone chip I was able to find on the entire car. My dad only put 27,xxx miles on this car in ten years of ownership and the majority of them came in bunches when he would use the car to go to Boston for Red Sox/Celtics games or when the car was used on trips to his beach property in Ocean City, New Jersey. With that said, I'm frankly quite surprised at how pristine the front of the car is considering all the highway use the car got. Dad's also been know to do a little tailgating, for what that's worth.

In addition to the earlier mentioned upgrades and maintenance done to the car, you will see a brand new Deka battery was recently installed in the car. However, please be advised that this was, in fact, the battery that recently went dead after the car sat without the trickle charger "hooked up properly". See also, not plugged in (Dad). Take from this what you will, but I personally believe the battery will last a long time. We properly charged the battery and I expect it to be fine now.

If I'm leaving anything out, I'm sorry. Also, as I photographed each wheel this evening, I checked them very closely for rash/chips/curbage. There is no curbage on any of them, but there are a couple of small stone chips here and there. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I never noticed the big woofers in the trunk until I was asked if the car had them. I took a picture of those as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, and the Van is my dad's from back when he was about my age, early thirties or so. He sold it back in the seventies but since we live in a small town and he knew the guy he sold it to real well, he was able to buy it back pretty cheap about 5 years ago.

The thing's awesome. I only wish it got better than 8 mpg. I'd be a bit more tempted to drive it if it did. Come to think of it, I need to borrow that thing and have some fun with it. It just sits there and could definitely benefit from some use. It's only got 50k original miles on it. I think dad bought it back for $2k or something stupid like that.

It's even got green shag carpet and a welded angle iron bed in the back. It's the shaggin wagon. Oh, and a chain link steering wheel, which is actually really, really horrible. Some peoples' upgrades are other peoples', well, not upgrades.

Vans are hugely underrated.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts