BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I should limit my M5 search to a 2001+ and eliminate 2000 models as I know in 2001 the car had many upgrades. I have found a number of cars I am interested in buy most are 2000 models. The 2001 I have found are about 5K more. I am just trying to figure out if it is worth it to me to spend $5K more for a newer one?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I say yes stick with 2001+, unless you really don't care for the "upgrades"
I have a 2000 but i ended up buying all the upgrades of the later models and let me tell you it adds up quick, not 5k but at least 2k for sure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Buy on condition, mileage and service history. I have an early '99 and I've upgraded most parts to to facelift spec. The cosmetic stuff is quite asy to do ie lights, nav and screen. I haven't done the steering wheel as of yet but I belive this is fairly easy to do if a tad expensive. Mechanicly the Vanos is slightly differant and the oil consumtion may or may not be less on 2001+ car. For the record mine drinks oil like an irishman on st patricks day but there are quite a few 2001+ cars do the same and pre facelift cars dont drink any so I wouldn't use this as a basis for buying.

Find a colour/interior combo you like and if its pre 2001 the you can pick and choose what upgrades you like. Thats the key to M5 happiness. Trust me, I did it the hard way and bought a dog and have spent god knows how much making it shine again! But I did probably save it from an early grave so thats something I guess!

Good luck

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice. Guess it all depends on what I find. I would not pass over a 2000 if in great shape with good mileage and such but ideally would want a 2001+.

·
Registered
595 Posts
thanks for the advice. Guess it all depends on what I find. I would not pass over a 2000 if in great shape with good mileage and such but ideally would want a 2001+.
I,d rather buy a fully sorted older car than a newer not looked after car (my opinion)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts