BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking about selling my 2000 TiAg M5. Car has just over 110k miles on it and is my daily driver. Clean title in hand.

Not 100% sure I am going to sell it. I have a love/hate relationship with the car. LOL. I love driving it, I hate the cost of maintaining it. If I had another car to daily drive, I would keep the M5. Just don't think another car is in the cards right now.

I have performed quite-a-bit of maintenance and mods to the car in the 2.5 years I have owned it. Can't list it all here as I don't remember everything, but have a folder with receipts.

Has the following mods (signature):
Evolve Alpha-N tune; ST coilovers; Updated headlights with angel eyes; 16:9 screen with MKIII; K&N drop-ins; OEM First aide kit; Diny's stainless radio knobs; Slimmbones Euro sliding/tilting armrest; Slimmbones XL Fog light covers; Rear Style 65 on all 4 corners; 12mm spacers front; 10mm spacers rear

Any idea of what it would be worth in today's market?

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I would say it mainly depends on mileage and condition, mods add little value if at all. For 110k car, assuming 8 out of 10 cosmetic and mechanical, I'd say it'll move for $17k. Is that enough for you to get rid of it? I find myself asking the same question, but I just can't find the value in a losing proposition; no car will come close to its performance/comfort for 2x the market price.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say it mainly depends on mileage and condition, mods add little value if at all. For 110k car, assuming 8 out of 10 cosmetic and mechanical, I'd say it'll move for $17k. Is that enough for you to get rid of it? I find myself asking the same question, but I just can't find the value in a losing proposition; no car will come close to its performance/comfort for 2x the market price.

I hear ya. There is NOTHING else that I have looked at that compares at the initial purchase price. The problem I am having is that I tend to be very particular with my vehicles. To be honest, I don't have the income (or it is going elsewhere at the moment) to be that way with a 14 year old BMW! LOL

I have even thought about parking it and buying a $2000 beater to get me to/from work (40 miles round trip per day). But then you have the added cost of insurance, maintenance, etc. Not sure it would be worth it, financially speaking.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
If you can hold out till next spring ima sellin' my truck for cheap. Your car drives nice and you will miss on it bad.

·
Registered
843 Posts
For a silver 2000? I think 15k tops.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Its quite relieving hearing what I consider realistic figures for the value of the car, vs. the "$30k high end $25k low end" responses some of these threads get...

I'd list at $16-17k and take anything $14k or higher. In some areas that is a $12k car but I know in your area there is a bit of a premium attached and $14k is give or take the low end there.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Its quite relieving hearing what I consider realistic figures for the value of the car, vs. the "$30k high end $25k low end" responses some of these threads get...

I'd list at $16-17k and take anything $14k or higher. In some areas that is a $12k car but I know in your area there is a bit of a premium attached and $14k is give or take the low end there.
I have the exact same car , bought it early this year. I would agree anything between $12 to $14k is fair depending on area and market.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
For a silver 2000? I think 15k tops.
Didn't realize it was a 2000 :eek:, it'll be ~15.5k then, even less reason to sell.

Reactions: M5JaM3s

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought my LMB 2000 M5 with 62K miles overall shape 8/10 for $19,800, need another $2K in work to make it dam near perfect. hope this helps

·
Registered
816 Posts
I agree with most of the $13-15k pricing ranges as well. I was going to mention removing the mods but none of the ones you have are really going to detract too much. In general though, I feel mods reduce the value on these cars. Good luck whatever you decide!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 2000 Imola Red. Its far from perfect in the looks department. I call it a real 20/20 beauty. At 20 MPH frpm 20 feet away it looks amazing. I paid 11k for it last year...mostly due to it needing a new clutch. It also has rusty jacking points and rust in the fuel filler door as well as a small dent in the trunk.. If I didnt have a Ducati to maintain as well as a HD and a supermoto on the way it would be cherry. As it sits it is mechanically pretty good and drives really nice. I'd be OK getting 11k back out of it and im telling you....someone would be real happy to get it at that price. They are amazing cars. I think the 13 or so you have been quoted sounds OK....dont sell it though.

That being said my daughter inherited my old daily driver so I am going to spring for a used pick up this fall as I need a truck anyway. Then a supermoto ....then suspension mods on the road king...and a full system for the Ducati...and then....you get the point...more ideas than money : )

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Over two years later and a lot more maintenance (and a few mods) and I still have the M5.

However, we are back to thinking about selling it... 133k miles now, but probably in better mechanical condition than it was when it had 110k miles at the start of this thread. Definitely better than when it had 78k miles when I purchased it in 2012!

·
Registered
48 Posts
In my Opinion the value of a car boils down to its rarity, supply & demand.

Someone out there who want's an M5 will buy an M5 and they'll pay what the advertised price is, give or take a couple of hundred $$

The USA market is flooded with these things so rarity and supply & demand virtually become zero, however if you present a stunning vehicle with all service books, all keys, no rust, immaculate paint, good interior, you'll probably get what you want for it. A low price for a good car spells desperation to sell in my view and you'll get all sorts wanting it for next to nothing. Command a high price and work down to a settlement.

A low km E39 M5 in Australia will set you back up to $45K and that's for a 2000 model - supply & demand as advertised on carsales.com.au
A low km E39 M5 Individual in Australia in perfect condition - a rare 2000 model such as mine would be advertised for $50K if I were to sell it.

Anyway, that's my view on what a car is worth.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Agree 100%. Had a 2000 E39. Was planning to drive it forever - totaled.
Good news #1 is the tow truck guy couldn't believe I was fine. Good news #2 was immediate purchase of a 2008, V10 six speed which at 100K and original clutch is still the ultimate stealth beast. Edmonds quotes 25K.
I'd consider 55k. Maybe. Look at 08. Mechanically been great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Agree 100%. Had a 2000 E39. Was planning to drive it forever - totaled.
Good news #1 is the tow truck guy couldn't believe I was fine. Good news #2 was immediate purchase of a 2008, V10 six speed which at 100K and original clutch is still the ultimate stealth beast. Edmonds quotes 25K.
I'd consider 55k. Maybe. Look at 08. Mechanically been great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The e60M is a hugely more expensive car to run than the e39M. If his issue with the e39M is running costs (which is how I read it), that would be a terrible choice of cars to move to.

I'm not saying the e60M is without merit, just that it doesn't solve his issues. If his issue with the e39 was a not dynamic enough engine (that's my main complaint with it-- I prefer revs to torque) or not amazing steering feel, the e60M would be great solution.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all for all of the replies. Much appreciated.

One reason is maintenance cost as well as the time spent on repairing the car. The other is that we need a larger vehicle.

As some may know I did have my car posted for sale recently. I won't go into details just yet, but something has come up and I have pulled the ad. I will post details in due time, but right now I am continuing to enjoy driving the M5 daily.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Thanks for all for all of the replies. Much appreciated.

One reason is maintenance cost as well as the time spent on repairing the car. The other is that we need a larger vehicle.

As some may know I did have my car posted for sale recently. I won't go into details just yet, but something has come up and I have pulled the ad. I will post details in due time, but right now I am continuing to enjoy driving the M5 daily.
I feel like a big car can be occasionally necessary, but not as much as it feels.

I have a surburban, and it gets driven roughly 1 day out of every two months, for size needs (towing, moving >4 people, moving large objects). Other than that, the only use it sees is winter, when the odds are high that someone might hit me/my wife or if the snow is over ~6 inches deep on the roads.

Far better to have a rarely used large second car than be stuck driving the large car all the time, imo!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts