BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
guys I just looked at a 2000 with 72K miles. Car's body was in amazing shape. Only a nick or two on the body very minor and same on the rims. Tires have over 50% tread.

Interior was in Ok shape. Seats had some wear and rear cup holders not working the way they should which is very minor. One of the buttons that works the a/c will fall off if you press it which is minor as well. Very good maintenance records. Asking price 18K obo. Guy was trying to sell it to me on the spot saying he needed money and was going to take it to carmax on Monday to see what they will give him and if nothing comes his way will dump it to them in the middle of the week. That got me thinking that he may be very negotiable. I did like the car but anywhere near 18K would pass.

My question to all of you is what type of ball park number do you think carmax will give him? Instead of making an offer I may wait a few days and tell him I interested but need him to come to me with a number hoping it will be just $500 or so over carmax? Just need to figure out what they might give him.

Any advice would help me out. Don't love the car but really like it and could see myself in it for the right price.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Well since the car is a 2000 Carmax doesnt display anything older than 10years on their lot so they will only give him auction price maybe less since they will wholesale it or send it to their own auction they hold in F'burg.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know carmax does not give KBB trade in price but goes by black book pricing. Trying to do research to get an idea of what they might give him for the car.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Didnt u ask about auction prices in another thread? Thats what they will give him or less, I didnt say anything about KBB in my response did I?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even if I can get this for like 12K? I found black book pricing which carmax uses and it has the car at about 10K which is outright stealing the car. How could I pass on this if I could get really cheap? I am going to wait till he gets the carmax price and try to feel him out as if I assume he would rather get 1K more from me?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts