BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my case, had similar symptoms that were gone with the clutch being replaced , but what other members posted in regards to your car’s symptoms also makes a lot of sense, in not being the clutch... However, considering your car’s miles, it doesn’t hurt that you are replacing the original clutch and flywheel. Have peace of mind going forward.

Once you change the clutch, be careful not to flogg it too hard while you break it in. Several posts on the board on how to properly break it in.

Hope you fix your issue and enjoy your beast

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Jape39, it was the clutch/flywheel. No more hesitation whatsoever throughout the entire RPM range with new clutch/flywheel. For those who are experiencing similar symptoms, just realize that it felt like the car was cutting fuel at certain RPM's. I've had clutches slip on e28's, so I kept assuming it was not a slipping clutch. This also explains why no codes were being tripped in the ecu. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Glad you got it fixed- but I am not understanding this. “Loss of power “ and “like cutting fuel” isn’t how I would describe a slipping clutch. Loss of forward motion yes, but engine shouldn’t be cutting out unless you were bouncing off the rev limiter?
Or Does the DME sense a slipping clutch and cut power?
And happy Xmas everyone!

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
And happy Xmas everyone!
That is a good question, if the answer was yes I think it would have come up before. This system was developed from the Formula one system so it is possible that there is a cross check to wheel speed and rpm. Albeit Formula One cars went faster with their system in place and ours don't seem to.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Glad you got it fixed- but I am not understanding this. “Loss of power “ and “like cutting fuel” isn’t how I would describe a slipping clutch. Loss of forward motion yes, but engine shouldn’t be cutting out unless you were bouncing off the rev limiter?
And happy Xmas everyone!
I would also love to know this. I only remember RPM moving without forwarding motion, to me that's a slipping clutch but power remains. Interesting if the DME pulls power for traction?

Merry Christmas to you!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Having just gone through this I can tell you it is an obvious difference between a fuel issue and slipping clutch. When my clutch went I remember getting in the gas on an on ramp, the engine revving as expected and the car not accelerating. I knew it was the clutch the second it happened.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Having just gone through this I can tell you it is an obvious difference between a fuel issue and slipping clutch. When my clutch went I remember getting in the gas on an on ramp, the engine revving as expected and the car not accelerating. I knew it was the clutch the second it happened.
That is my experience with each manual vehicle I owned.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts