BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the second owner of a 2000 m5 with 210,000 miles. Recently, the car's power would suddenly cut when stomping on the accelerator. However, I could gently accelerate, but when I floored it, the engine felt like it was cutting fuel. The fuel pump was replaced 15k miles ago. No check engine lights (at least according to my Foxwell nt510 scanner). Car idles perfectly and starts easily. Helpful tips on what to look for next would be great.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the MAF's and the problem is resolved. No more hesitation above 3k RPM. I'm surprised no faults were stored or pending in the ECU. Is this usually the case with MAF problems for s62's?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sadly, I spoke too soon. After a day of zero hesitation, the power cuts above 3k RPM if I hammer the gas pedal. I replaced the fuel filter and it made no difference. No engine faults stored. Rather than throwing parts at this, can anyone recommend some other potential cause?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check the fuel pump relay. Mine had similar symptoms and there was a small burn spot when the relay was opened up. You can either just replace the relay or direct wire the fuel pump and bypass the relay. CPS are another possibility.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a quick note for anyone reading this thread that neither the new maf, fuel pump relay, or fuel filter solved the issue.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
How many miles on the car since replacing the MAFS? It make take some time for the ECU to adapt.
Can your scan tool read fuel trims?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
A look at the fuel trims could be helpful. Still no codes? How much fuel in the tank? If you have INPA you can view the trims and also monitor the TPS. They (TPS) can sometimes lose signal and cut out but generally they will set a limp mode and/or codes will pop up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This may sound basic but have you considered the stuttering as a result of the traction control kicking in? It's cold out and I find the TC working more frequently than in the summer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts